Thread: 10 minutes for pointing at the scoreboard.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default 10 minutes for pointing at the scoreboard.

Apparentely this is a new infraction. Vinny Prospal found that out yesterday. Looking at a Detroit player with a really long name, he tauntingly pointed at the scoreboard. Sounds to me like a classic 2 minute 'unsportsmanlike conduct' penalty, because to be honest, it was unsportsmanlike.

Why are referees afraid to make this call? I don't get it. They will call an unsportsmanlike act anything but an unsportsmanlike penalty. Unsportsmanlike penalties are easy calls. A few examples are; taunting another player or the other teams bench, facewashing, shooting the puck after the whistle and snowing a goalie, oh, and now pointing at the scoreboard. All easy calls, but instead, they give out misconduct penalties most of the time.

Dobber Sports Stud

Why should a team get a power play for pointing at the scoreboard? I think sitting out for 10 minutes is a harsher penalty to a player personally
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by golfguy1672 View Post
    Why should a team get a power play for pointing at the scoreboard? I think sitting out for 10 minutes is a harsher penalty to a player personally
    Absolutely not in my opinion.

If you want to get people to stop doing stupid shit, you create penalties for it that hurt their team. An individual getting penalized for doing something has less direct impact on the game, being a team sport, than a penalty that affects the whole team.

Look at diving for example. What's going to deter diving more? 10 minute misconducts or 2 minute penalties that give the opposition a powerplay? That's why the way the NHL officiates diving right now is such a joke. Why would people be scared of getting hit with a diving penalty if the coincidental 'trip' or 'hook', etc. ends up getting called as well?

To the OP: I'm wondering if the timing of the act had something to do with it. Only 6 minutes or so left in a 3-0 game..they probably just figured hit Prospal with the full 10 to get him out of the game and not have to worry about his actions stirring anything up. Could be wrong though. I agree with your thoughts.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

While I understand why the refs kicked him out because it was unsportsmanlike toward Abdelkader, I also thought it was hilarious by Prospal And I'm a Detroit fan for crying out loud!
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    While I understand why the refs kicked him out because it was unsportsmanlike toward Abdelkader, I also thought it was hilarious by Prospal And I'm a Detroit fan for crying out loud!
    I thought it was funny too actually. Prospal looked like a rich guy with a nice tan and bright white teeth dressed in a hockey uniform.

Dobber Sports Pro

If players don't get a misconduct for chirping then they shouldn't for pointing to the scoreboard. Seems like the same thing to me.
    Last edited by Ross The Boss Palmer; March 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    If players don't get a misconduct for chirping then they shouldn't for pointing to the scoreboard. Seem like the same thing to me.
    Yeah I agree. Sounds like a weak misconduct to me.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Things like this make me feel so old and I'm only 30. I have an idea that always worked in the past. If dude is chirping you, knock his ass down next shift. No bullshit, whiny, every kid who plays gets a trophy type of dumbass penalty calls. It's a man's game, not a 4 year old girl's name. Why is everyone such a pansy these days?
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    Things like this make me feel so old and I'm only 30. I have an idea that always worked in the past. If dude is chirping you, knock his ass down next shift. No bullshit, whiny, every kid who plays gets a trophy type of dumbass penalty calls. It's a man's game, not a 4 year old girl's name. Why is everyone such a pansy these days?
    lol, welcome to the 21st century. I'm over 40 and feel that every generation gets wimpier and more whiny (and more entitled) than the previous one. NHL players are no different. Kids these days!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What the f.... http://imgur.com/a/JHWVb
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Can't believe that's actually a penalty... what a joke. Might as well start adding counsellors to the training staff to help the players cope.

Dobber Sports Immortal

That seriously is a joke though. Cannot believe that's a penalty

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Thats hillarious.

Here is the link to the call.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...4178--nhl.html
    Last edited by Godin; March 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM.