Thread: Beau Bennett

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Beau Bennett

I fully expected to find a thread on this kid but nada.
    Why isn't anyone outside the ramblings talking about him?
    I picked him up just as he was called up as I couldn't help but wonder "what if". Could he fit the role of top six winger in Pitt where so many had failed before?
    Short of a couple of Pens games I have seen lately I've never seen him play. Does he have a relatively low ceiling or something? Does he have the talent and strength needed to become a main stay?
    Just thought a kid with skills getting a chance in that top six would come with a little more hype.
    What do I have here?
    Last edited by BDog; March 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Expert

Bennett is known as a hard working guy on and off the ice and he really did everything to improve and become NHL ready all summer.

I think itīs still a bit to early to expect to much from him, but as the talent is there and his attitude seems to be very good to i would be suprised if he doesnīt become a 60+ point player within the next 3 or 4 years.

I see his upside around 70 points with slightly more goals than assists.

He should definetly be owned in all keeper leagues.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BDog View Post
    I fully expected to find a thread on this kid but nada.
    Why isn't anyone outside the ramblings talking about him.
    I picked him up just as he was called up as I couldn't help but wonder "what if". Could he fit the role of top six winger in Pitt where so many had failed before?
    Short of a couple of Pens games I have seen lately I've never seen him play. Does he have a relatively low ceiling or something? Does he have the talent and strength needed to become a main stay?
    Just thought a kid with skills getting a chance in that top six would come with a little more hype.
    What do I have here?
    Because I think most people think he is another PENGUINS flash in the pan.. Like Tangradi was for sooooo long. Bennett does seem to have talent, he played really well last night, but is he another 60 point guy that is getting too much hype?? We just don't know..

Don't get me wrong, he could be a solid fantasy producer, and if he sticks with Malkin and Neal, then he is worth the hype.. But will he??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I don't think its fair to put that much pressure on the kid, but he's a really good young player and I've been impressed with his play when he got the call from Pittsburgh. To compare him and Tangradi is a little crazy, because they're completely different players.

After going pointless in his first four games with Pittsburgh, Bennett has five points (1 G, 4 A) in his last six games. He made some really nifty plays last night while playing with Evgeni Malkin, including a tape-to-tape saucer pass that Malkin almost scored on. I wasn't really a fan of Tangradi to be honest, but I really like what Bennett has shown me early on in what looks to be a long and successful NHL career.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Expert

Comparing Tangradi with Bennett makes as much sense as comparing Sidney Crosby with Craig Adams. Very unlikely that Adams will ever match Crosbyīs production, allthough both are playing for the Penguins.

Tangradi was allways a talented power forward, but his skating is just not good enough to play in the NHL and he couldnīt improve it.

Bennett is a lot smaller and more a goalscorer. He really worked hard, added a lot of weight and he also improved his skating speed in the last years. He allways had a good shoot and very good hands in general.

The Penguins didnīt send him down, so right now it looks like he will stay with the big boys and especially in his last games, he didnīt look out of place. Iīm high on him, but not because heīs playing with Malkin, itīs more because i like the mix of talent, work ethic and teammates.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    Comparing Tangradi with Bennett makes as much sense as comparing Sidney Crosby with Craig Adams. Very unlikely that Adams will ever match Crosbyīs production, allthough both are playing for the Penguins.

Tangradi was allways a talented power forward, but his skating is just not good enough to play in the NHL and he couldnīt improve it.

Bennett is a lot smaller and more a goalscorer. He really worked hard, added a lot of weight and he also improved his skating speed in the last years. He allways had a good shoot and very good hands in general.

The Penguins didnīt send him down, so right now it looks like he will stay with the big boys and especially in his last games, he didnīt look out of place. Iīm high on him, but not because heīs playing with Malkin, itīs more because i like the mix of talent, work ethic and teammates.
    He definitely wasn't comparing their playing style or potential, simply comparing the hype that comes with the chance of lining up beside Crosby or Malkin.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I'm not comparing Tangradi and Bennett as "players", I am comparing the "hype" alot of people put on young Pittsburgh forwards.. So please don't feel as though I am comparing the two of them and their abilities..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

My point is that I wasn't seeing the same hype that others might have had going into that situation. That's why I was having some doubts. Perhaps it was a collective "wait and see" that was happening due to the fact Pitt has tried to find someone to fill that void for some time now. Hope he pans out to be a fantasy gold nugget.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by BDog View Post
    My point is that I wasn't seeing the same hype that others might have had going into that situation. That's why I was having some doubts. Perhaps it was a collective "wait and see" that was happening due to the fact Pitt has tried to find someone to fill that void for some time now. Hope he pans out to be a fantasy gold nugget.
    My mistake, but you're definitely right that the hype isn't nearly as much as it was for Tangradi when he got called up.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."