Thread: Buying low and selling high - candidates

Dobber Sports Ace

Lightbulb Buying low and selling high - candidates

It seems one of the biggest keys to fantasy hockey (aside from knowing your format, drafting well, being quick & smart on the waiver wire, etc etc etc), is to buy low and sell high.

Buy low:

Jonathan Quick - he's Jonathan Quick. This is one of the few times a guy like him could actually be available. Pay the price to get him if an owner is considering offers.
    Jaroslav Halak - he has missed a few games to injury, and Allen is being given the chance to play right now. Halak is always an injury risk, but his GAA will be stellar and he will win games while healthy.
    Mikka Kiprusoff - another guy that missed time and struggled. The Flames are getting their game going, and will climb all the way to just outside the playoff picture. Or Kipper will get dealt to a contender. He's old, but he has game.
    Ryan Miller - maybe Miller's star is falling. I think he's capable of better still though, and that Buffalo will start playing better hockey in front of him. Maybe not this season though.
    Cory Schneider - I still think the talent is there, and I feel like his value won't be this low again anytime soon. If his owner is thinking about moving him, you might be in luck.

Sell high:

Ben Bishop - If you're not in a keeper, move him. If you are in a keeper, you might still want to move him too. His value won't be this high again for quite awhile. Anderson will be back soon, and Lehner is showing his stuff.
    Jake Allen - There's bound to be a GM out there who thinks he's going to be what Elliott was last year. I have my doubts.
    Ray Emery - Call it a hunch. Is it possible for his value to be higher than this? Do you think he can stay at this level for the rest of the year? I'm not so sure.
    James Reimer - I don't think he's in Toronto's long term plans. He's playing great right now.

Agree? Disagree? Who else do you think belongs on either of these lists?
    Last edited by kbro; March 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

I disagree on Kipper, I don't see the Flames going anywhere this year. And as the Flames get better the next few years, Kipper will only get worse IMO.
    50/50 about Reimer, he's just an enigma
    ------------OLD------------
    15 Team Yahoo Rotisserie (1YR)
    Max Games Played
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 4BN
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux, Stastny, Fisher
    LW: Benn, Hall, Lucic, Hartnell
    RW: Stamkos, Hossa, Stafford
    D: Karlsson, Byfuglien, Brodie, Borowiecki, Pouliot
    G: Elliott, Allen, Dubnyk, Stalock
    IR: P. Kane

Notable Trades:
    Khudobin -> Hartnell (Oct 12)
    Ehrhoff -> Lupul (Nov 12)
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)
    Forsberg, Kucherov, Stalock -> Stamkos (Dec 20)
    Varlamov -> Lucic (Jan 20)
    E. Staal -> Byfuglien (Jan 20)
    Halak, Perreault -> Benn (Feb 10)

Dobber Sports Ninja

- Sort of disagree regarding Miller. The GAA is on the high side but with regards to the SV% he's right on par to what he always has been. .915% is good in my books though. Sabres need to play some better hockey.

I'd probably toss Pavelec (struggling with consistency), Ward (injury), Varlamov (consistency), Hiller (goaltending controversy) to the buy low list.

I'd probably toss Crawford and Niemi on the sell-high list, to a degree.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't think anyone on your sell high list is really a sell high, because nobody in their right mind would put much value on them to start with. Bishop? Allen? seriously? haha

I agree that Quick is the buy-low of the year right now.

Dobber Sports Ace

Agreed on Crawford as a sell high, but to a lesser extent than Emery IMO. Niemi I would agree with too, but I always seem to underestimate him. I wasn't sure whether to put Hiller on the buy low list and Fasth on the sell high list or not... Hiller has struggled with consistency and his health, leaving the door pretty wide open for Fasth. As for Miller, I think his GAA will come down a little, and I think he'll also start winning more games. It might not be until next year though. I don't see his value getting much lower than where it is now though.

As for Kipper, I certainly agree that he will get worse long term, but I think his second half of this season will be better than his first.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't think anyone on your sell high list is really a sell high, because nobody in their right mind would put much value on them to start with. Bishop? Allen? seriously? haha
    I suppose it largely depends on your format. Both guys would fetch a low draft pick from a team struggling in goal in my league right now.

Dobber Sports Stud

I guess people are convinced that Fasth is the real deal now- and no longer a sell high?
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'd probably toss Crawford and Niemi on the sell-high list, to a degree.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree on Niemi on the sell high list. He has Mike Ribiero disease. No one gives him any respect. He has had that problem his whole career. Look at his career numbers and all he ever does is win. Even this year, he is the main reason SJ remains in the game. Last night 39 saves, he has lost 5 OT games and I believe 2 shootout games. One was a 1-0 shootout game. Once SJ figures out how to score again, his wins will again start coming in.
    Points only, 26 team keeper league. keep 8 + 4 prospects. 2 LW,2 RW, 2C, 4 D and G. 1 point goal,1 point assist
    Goalies. 2 points win, 1 for O/T or Shoot out loss, 3 for SO, 2 for assist, 10 for goal. Minus 1 for a loss
    Draft 8 more through draft. Need to have 11 on main team, 9 on reserve. Once roster set, can add 1 injured reserve spot.

Roster:
    LW JVR, Steen, Hagelin
    C Malkin, E. Staal, Nelson
    RW Okposo, Wheeler, Donskoi
    D Demers, Pulock, Savard, Vlasic
    G Holtby

prospects: Frost, Sprong, Andersson, Bear, Niku, Katchouk

Dobber Sports Pro

Two thoughts,

I don't see Pavelec as a buy low. His value right now is the same as it's always been, IMO. His good games are great and his bad games will lose you the goalie cats in a H2H league. I'd steer clear completely.

Kipper has a very poor team in front of him and has shown inconsistency in being elite one year alternating with average the next year. I wouldn't want to rely on him being elite. I wouldn't want him for anything more than a #2 with an elite #1 tender or a #3 with a good #1 and #2.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...