Thread: Which Goalie Should I Target?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Which Goalie Should I Target?

For the team in my signature I'm looking to boost my Goaltending at the expense of my forward depth.
    I'd like to try for someone who would make a good #1 or #2 fantasy option. Right now I have a #1 in Price, but two #3's in Nabokov and Dubynk.
    My plan is to package one of Naby/Duby with a good forward for a good goalie and lower valued forward, who could hopefully fill a need on my team. (+/-. PIMs)

Which of my forwards would you try to move, and which goalie would you reccomend I target?
    1 Year - 12 Team - Yahoo - H2H
    G, A, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG
    W, GAA, Sv%. Sho

2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D, 3Util, 2G, 4BN 2IR+ (18 total)

C - Backstrom, Eichel, Kesler, Kadri, Schwartz
    LW - Ovechkin, Schenn, Killorn, S.Bennett
    RW - Perry, Laine, Toffoli, Niedereitter
    D - Letang, Faulk, Klefbom
    G - Vasilevsky, Mason
    IR - Huberdeau

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG
    W, GAA, Sv%. Sho

2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D, 2Util, 2G, 4BN 2IR (17 total)

C - Getzlaf, Kesler, Kadri
    LW - Voracek, E.Kane, Ehlers
    RW - Perry, Toffoli, Hornqvist
    D - Subban, Letang, Shattenkirk, Hamilton
    G - Price, Lehner, Hellebuyck
    IR - Kunitz, Buchnevich

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh... I wouldn't be too hasty about this.

There is a lot of luck in H2H - specifically, in the week of playoffs with your goalies.
    ANY goalie can have one bad week and kill your hopes at a championship.

But if you have a solid forward group, you can still work on taking 5/6 skater categories, maybe you lose W,G,SV (SO usually a tie) and still win the match 5-4-1.

In other words, big mistake (IMO) trading away skaters for a forward upgrade.

I'd recommend this:
    1) Go "search" for the "Same Night Tool" here on DobberHockey. Learn to use it.
    2) Map out your H2H playoff weeks to see how many starts & conflicts you get. It will ALSO suggest who is the best goalie fit as an EXTRA goalie for those H2H weeks. That's the guy you target.

If you are struggling to qualify for H2H playoffs... well, that's another thing where maybe it makes more sense to trade for a quality goalie. In general, I've never had a problem making H2H playoffs in any league, simply by rostering a BOSS skater group and playing goaltending match-ups.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That's my situation this season, which is pretty unfamiliar. I played 4 seasons of fantasy hockey starting the year the NHL came back from the last lockout, and I never had a problem making the playoffs, and actually made it to the finals all 4 years and won it all twice.

I haven't played the last two seasons and only decided to play this season last minute, I guess that might be the reason. I'm also very busy and don't have as much time to spend keeping up to date on hot FA pickups, etc...

I agree with your mentality, and that's the way I drafted, but after waiting for the ship to right itself, and that not happening, I need to make some moves to get a playoff spot.

I'm sitting in 11th spot with 50 points, 4th place has 62 points, and 9th place has 59 points, so there's a bit of a log jam. Every week has been close for me (5-4, 4-5, etc.), except for one where I got smoked 10-0 somehow.

There's 4 weeks before playoffs, excluding this current week.

If I look at the rankings for the season totals my weak spots are +/-, PIMs, and my goalie stats. All the other stats I'm either leading outright, or a few back of the leader.

Should I focus more on obtaining guys who will boost my +/- and PIMs, and try to assure I win all 6 skater categories as often as possible, or as I was thinking originally, go for an upgrade in goal?
    G, A, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG
    W, GAA, Sv%. Sho

2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D, 3Util, 2G, 4BN 2IR+ (18 total)

C - Backstrom, Eichel, Kesler, Kadri, Schwartz
    LW - Ovechkin, Schenn, Killorn, S.Bennett
    RW - Perry, Laine, Toffoli, Niedereitter
    D - Letang, Faulk, Klefbom
    G - Vasilevsky, Mason
    IR - Huberdeau

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG
    W, GAA, Sv%. Sho

2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D, 2Util, 2G, 4BN 2IR (17 total)

C - Getzlaf, Kesler, Kadri
    LW - Voracek, E.Kane, Ehlers
    RW - Perry, Toffoli, Hornqvist
    D - Subban, Letang, Shattenkirk, Hamilton
    G - Price, Lehner, Hellebuyck
    IR - Kunitz, Buchnevich

Dobber Sports Sophomore

i would try and look for the team with weakest scoring catagories and use someone like vanek to try and pull a great goalie
    Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG)
    Goaltenders Stat Categories: Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

C-stamkos,crosb, Kadri

LW- Zets(C),Kunitz, Alexander Semin

RW- P.Kane, ,Malkin

D- Franson,Shattenkirk,pietrangelo, Markov

G-Rask,Niemi,LUndquist