Thread: Who should i keep? Who should i sell?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Who should i keep? Who should i sell?

Hello,

I am in a Keeper league (10 GM's). We are running a points only Rotisserie system: G,A,PPP,SHG,SHA all give 1 point, Goalie wins = 3 points, Shutout = 5 points

This is my current roster, currently sitting in 3rd place and we get to keep 11 players at season's end:

C (Start 3): Eric Staal, Duchene, D. Backes,
    LW (Start 3): Ovechkin, Erikkson, Moulson
    RW: (Start 3): Purcell, Wheeler, Voracek
    W (Start 2): J. Williams, D. Setoguchi, N. Horton
    F (Start 1): B. Schenn, Desharnais
    D (Start 6): Enstrom (IR), Shatty, Timonen, J. Pitkanen(IR), Bogosian, R. Whitney, T. Myers, A. Greene
    Util (Start 1): JVR

G (Start 2): M. Smith, Bryz, Nabokov

Two key things to note here are PPQB Defencemen are in high demand because of points only and the fact that you can start 6. Another is that Goalies with consistent wins and shutouts are gamechangers.

So our trade deadline is coming up in 2 weeks... I know i have a chance to win, but with the current injuries on my blue line it will be tough. Two big areas for me to improve on is D and G. I guess my question is - Who are my 11 keepers? and who should i sell to upgrade my D and G?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

1st - welcome to DobberHockey. Great job on your first post! Very well detailed league information, great work.

Keepers:
    C(2): E.Staal, Duchene [Tough to let Backes go... but...]
    LW(3): Ovechkin, Moulson, Eriksson
    RW(3): Voracek [I am not sold on Wheeler or Purcell]
    D(2): Shattenkirk, Enstrom
    G(2): Bryzgalov, M.Smith

I think you may want to move Enstrom.
    I love Enstrom and think of him as a top 20 defenseman in straight-points leagues... but you can't have him taking up space and not producing if you have a shot. Try offering him to the Byfuglien owner, simply because there is appeal in owning a "tandem".

You can also try to move Brayden Schenn. PHI has played a lot of games. I like Schenn but he's not a keeper for you and he got some extra time/opportunities earlier in the season with Hartnell out. He's a good SELL.

I know your defense looks bad, but I'd simply try to patch it.
    Overpaying for defense is often a mistake. I'll send you a PM and list of some emerging D-men, I've got claims in for some of them in my DobberEntry league and find they get snatched up from me if I start discussing them too soon.

Dobber Sports Initiate

These guys would be my keepers. I'd be comfortable moving anyone else for help at D and G. I'd put out feelers on Voracek and see what you might be able to get for him as far as defense goes. He should net you something pretty good right now, and if you package him with another keeper (like Wheeler) you could keep Eriksson and your keepers wouldn't be any worse for wear. Good luck!

C (Start 3): Eric Staal, Duchene
    LW (Start 3): Ovechkin, Moulson
    RW: (Start 3): Wheeler, Voracek
    D (Start 6): Enstrom (IR), Shatty
    Util (Start 1): JVR

G (Start 2): M. Smith, Bryz
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Update

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. So here's a quick update:

I threw out an offer for B. Seabrook for my Nabokov to address my games played on D (need to make up alot from the injuries). Hopefully this one goes through since i'm already + on games played on G.

I am also already looking to shore up my keepers and this is one trade that keeps going back and forth and the latest offer looks like this:

My ==> Wheeler, Purcell, Schenn, Bogosian
    For His ==> T. Hall, E. Kane, Kronwall.

He has a surplus of LW keepers and really lacking in RW so i'm using this to my advantage. I still think he might counter/reject but how much more should/could i sweeten the pot?

His team (currently sitting at 8th):
    C: Toews, P. bergeron, B. Sutter
    LW: J. Benn, Landeskog, T. Hall, R. Nash, E. Kane
    RW: Semin, Havlat, Stewart, Doan
    W: Stempniak, jagr,
    F: J. Carter
    D: Kronwall, Liles, Chara, Campbell, Seabrook, Bouwmeester
    G: Ward, Dubnyk, Theodore, Khabibulin

I'm really targetting this guy to trade with because he has talent yet he sits 8th in the standings.. thinking he might be in panic mode right now. Or i could be wrong and he is patient and totally turn things around in a couple years with the team he has now.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by exbueno View Post
    My ==> Wheeler, Purcell, Schenn, Bogosian
    For His ==> T. Hall, E. Kane, Kronwall.

That's a pretty nice trade... but Hall & E.Kane are the two best pieces and Kronwall is possibly the 3rd nicest piece... so I really don't think he'll accept. But worth a try.