Thread: Value of Faulk & Grigorenko

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Value of Faulk & Grigorenko

I am contemplating a deal that would see me send Backes/Little for Callahan/Stepan/Faulk/Grigorenko for the league in the sig below.

I see Callahan as a step down from Backes and Stepan as a step up from Little, but I really don't know what to think about Faulk or Grigorenko? What kind of upside do they have? Is Faulk an improvement over any of my D?

Backes is a monster in our league. Are they worth shipping him out? (Grigs would be farm eligible, and I would drop Cody Mcleod. Yes, our waiver wire is paper thing right now).

Tried this in the trade talk forum with no response.

Dobber Sports Giant

id do it. i have big expectations for grigs if your willing to wait. faulk is already playing huge minutes and looking good.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    id do it. i have big expectations for grigs if your willing to wait. faulk is already playing huge minutes and looking good.
    Thanks for the input.

How far down the road would grigs be? Like 2-3 years I would imagine?

What kind of production do you think we'll see from Faulk? Is he going to be able to put up 40 points on a regular basis? I'm having a harder time with him as I really haven't followed him much until now.

I probably wouldn't want to carry 6 D-men either, so I would look at moving Campbell or Goligoski. Is he an upgrade over those two with our scoring stats?

Dobber Sports Initiate

That's a tough one. Faulk is still relatively unproven and you know what you'll get from Soupy. Goli on the other hand should be producing but he isn't to the level we expect.

If you want to take a chance on Faulk then drop/trade Goligoski.

To be honest, I'm on the fence with this one.

Is Faulk farm eligible for your league?
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sixhands View Post
    That's a tough one. Faulk is still relatively unproven and you know what you'll get from Soupy. Goli on the other hand should be producing but he isn't to the level we expect.

If you want to take a chance on Faulk then drop/trade Goligoski.

To be honest, I'm on the fence with this one.

Is Faulk farm eligible for your league?
    Ya man, me too. I've been battling with this one for a long time.

In our league, for farm eligibility, they need to be drafted in our prospect draft, so he is not.

I have a deal in place to move Goli or Campbell for Ellis and a pick, which would solve the D logjam and help my goaltending for this season. The pick probably won't amount to much.

I don't know if Faulk is worth the chance though. I mean, the step from Backes/Little to Callahan/Stepan doesn't seem to be huge, but I'm just iffy on whether Faulk/Grigs make up the difference.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd not let Faulk be the thing to hold you back if you wanted to do it. Granted, I'm a BIG fan of Faulk, but the kid really is an outstanding young D-man. I'd take him over Goli.

20 years old, already getting huge minutes in all situations, should consistently outhit Goli, could outpoint Goli consistently (particularly if given the reins to the PP1 full time), and is a plus player on a not-so-defensively-hot-at-times Canes squad. Neither are going to be huge PIMs guys, but it's not too difficult to out-PIM Goli who I think has a career high of 40 PIMs in 83 games a couple seasons ago but actually tends to be in the teens or low 20's. Again, neither are likely to be key contributors in that category, but I mention it only as another category that doesn't justify keeping Goli over Faulk.

I really think Faulk will have little trouble hitting 40 points consistently, although I haven't really formed a view of when I think that is likely to happen (could be next season, could be a couple years/until whenever the fates of Pitkanen, Corvo and some of the other vets is determined and the blueline takes its reincarnated shape). And while he'll have to deal with Murphy for some of the offensive minutes in the future, I can't see the Canes keeping Faulk out of that mix given the offensive skills that he has in his own right.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    I'll second that. Grigs is a log term investment, but you're in a dynasty league so no problem there. And Faulk is superb acquisition for you.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Superstar

Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate it.

All the take has centered around Faulk and Grigs, but do you all feel similar with the other part of the deal? Backes/Little leaving and Callahan/Stepan coming in? Rep coming where I can.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have no problem at all with the other side. Callahan and Stepan are no slouches and depending on how you like to run your team they may actually have the advantage.

Backes, I like his playing style unfortunately the whole Blues team seem to experience wild variances. Win one game 4-3 then get shut-out 5-0 the next.

Little, meh. All I can say is that I would rather have Kane, Wheeler, Byfuglien ... Oh wait a minute, I do

Callahan/Stepan, I don't watch a lot of Rangers games but I hate the fact that the GMs in my league found these guys.

For me, I go the Callahan/Stepan/Faulk/Girgorenko side every which way from Sunday

EDIT: That fence I was on earlier ... I burned it!
    Last edited by sixhands; March 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Superstar

As an update, trade was completed last night at our deadline.

Backes/Little/Goligoski/3rd (likely 30 of 36, players drafted by NHL teams, so little value)
    for
    Callahan/Stepan/Faulk/Grigorenko

Hopefully my team ends up better for it. I am a big fan of Backes, so I needed to make sure the return was one that would benefit my team.

Any thoughts on this one?