Thread: Pick a keeper: Varlamov, Howard, Lindback

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Pick a keeper: Varlamov, Howard, Lindback

Longtime lurker here..

I feel like the answer to this question is obvious, but want to get thoughts considering the uncertainty of DET and the future potential of COL

14 team keeper league, cats are W, SVs, SV%, GAA, SO

I generally judge a goalie's keeper potential by their team, and I feel like it's really between Varlamov and Howard, as TB just doesn't seem to have a strong enough defense to support good goalie peripherals (and they haven't since Khabibulin left.. remember when always-injured Mike Smith and Johan Holmqvist were their #1s over the course of 4 years?). It's only his first year with a big workload, but Lindback hasn't shown much to inspire confidence, and look what's happened to past NSH goalies who left under similar circumstances (Mason, Ellis..).

Varlamov seems to me like the best overall goalie of the bunch, and he's bound to see more shots and ice time than Howard. He's unchallenged in the Avs organization, but the Avs organization seems like a bit of a mess. They've got a ton of young talent that likely should make for a good squad in 2 or 3 years time, but watching them bungle Anderson, O'Reilly and nearly Duchene makes me wonder if they'll get there. And if they never get their act together, then Varlamov is doomed to continue having seasons like he is now-- sterling performances with huge SV% and SVs (but no W and avg GAA) peppered in between average and below-average outings.

On DET pre-Lidstrom retirement, it would be no question that whatever the difference in ability between Varlamov and Howard, it would be nullified by the forever dynasty status of the Red Wings. I just haven't seen much of Howard, or the Red Wings, to get a clear idea of how he or the team looks for this year and beyond. I feel like Babcock will sort it out sooner or later, but I also wonder if Mrazek is a legitimate threat to start splitting starts with Howard over the next year or two -- meanwhile in COL, it's Varlamov or bust.

..so that's the situation as I see it. I've got Varlamov on my team right now. It would probably cost me an early draft pick+a weaker starting goalie to get Howard, though I might end up using that pick to get a player like Howard anyway, so it's kind of just like drafting in advance and guaranteeing myself the guy I want. I've been desperate for a keeper goalie for years (last year I had Vokoun and Neuvirth to choose from :P) and it's tantalizing to be so close but not knowing what to do.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions
    Last edited by sthensth; March 4, 2013 at 6:22 AM.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Anybody? .. maybe I wrote too much, so here's the too long/didn't read version:

in a keeper league with the stats above, should I trade my current keeper Varlamov + an early round draft pick for Jimmy Howard?

Dobber Sports Stud

1. Howard
    2. Varlamov
    3. Lindback

I like Howard the best, feel like he's the safest and that's what makes him the better play over Varlamov. Varlamov has the greater potential and could be better, but as to when that happens, that's up in the air.