Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: O'Reilly Offer Sheet By Flames Matched by Avs

Dobber Sports All-Star

This is a really bad situation if it is true. Pat Morris, O'Reilly's agent, for one, has lost a lot of respect and trust. I really believe he knew what was going on even though he claims he "would never put any team in that kind of position". Its his job to know all the in's and out's of the CBA.

The day after the CBA agreement, a player agent with a Russian name was on the Fan 590 with Bob McCowan and said that he had already found a loophole in it. THE DAY AFTER! So for Pat Morris to say he didn't know about this....hmmmm. I doubt it. Lets face it, its in his best interest as well if O'Reilly is playing.

Also, I have a replacement for Feaster. The guy who broke this story. If its true.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    I don't. They still believe they can be contenders. Slowing turning into the Leafs of this decade.
    Slowly? I thought that happened rather abruptly when they dealt Phaneuf for 30% of a last place team.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Slowly? I thought that happened rather abruptly when they dealt Phaneuf for 30% of a last place team.
    Bang on. I'm still blown away by that trade.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Guru

the waiver thing is an argument for lawyers, but as I read it the NHL's position doesn't make much sense.

Flames and NHLPA representative would seem to have it right.

let's not let that get in the way of a good story though.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    Bang on. I'm still blown away by that trade.
    Yet it may have trouble beating out these.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    No offense, but I couldn't help but chuckle at this because this is exactly the kind of logic that Burke had when he went after Kessel. Most (sane) Leaf fans would rather have the Bruins side now, especially with Kessel's contract rapidly expiring.

Non-playoff teams shouldn't risk their 1st round picks. Especially in a deep draft year. Period.

Very surprised the Avs matched. Unless they plan to deal him next February.
    6.5 mil qualifying offer for a guy with one decent season on his resume.

I might have to remove Dion from #1 on my list of most overrated in the league. Step right up Mr. O'Reilly and claim your crown!
    For starters Toronto gave up two 1sts. Calgary would have only given up 1. The 3rd rounder is pretty inconsequential. Not saying 3rd rounders aren't worth holding onto but compared to the impact ROR could have made on this team it would have been worth it. Also there is no guaranteeing that 1st pick would have been top 3 like TOR pick was. CGY is currently 5th to last but they have played the fewest games out of the bottom teams and they have the best record compared to games played out of the bottom teams (7-8-4). Also consider Kipper should be back soon, the Flames tend to finish stronger then they start and the impact that ROR would have brought and I think they wouldn't have finished in the bottom 8. After the first 2 or 3 picks in the draft it gets significantly harder to find guys who can be impact players. Also consider the time it takes to develop players, the unreliability players you draft, that a pick won't help them now and the fact that CGY sucks at drafting. ROR for a 1st and 3rd is a bargain IMO. If I were an NHL GM and someone offered me that deal I would take it in a second.

As far as the contract goes I think it was a bit of an overpayment but I think ROR brings a lot of things to the table that the Flames need to justify it. I think a lot of people are looking at the fact that he is a 65pt player at best and his career points and making the judgement off of that. A lot of people countering that argument by saying that the Flames were paying for character. I disagree with that. I think a guy who just did what he did doesn't have a lot of character (at least not the kind you want). I think what isn't being addressed is his defensive prowess and the fact that he is a faceoff machine. ROR would have been on CGY's top PK unit and he would have made a tremendous impact on their PK who is their top forward PKer? Stajan? And i bet he would have been playing 20+ min/night with CGY.

Also consider CGY has by far the worst down the center depth in the league. This situation sort of reminds me of what happened in TB this season. Their defensive depth was so terrible that even though they only brought in Carle and Salo, who are mediocre at best, it made a tremendous impact on their ability to move the puck. CGY is so bad down the middle that even adding a great 2-way 3rd liner/average 2nd liner would have made a huge impact. You don't need top tier centers to be a dangerous team but you do need to have someone who can at least play top 6. Any scoring that is lost can be made up for easier on the wing then it would be down the middle. Give him a couple of decent winger (Iginla and Tanguay) and that would have made for a good top line.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Expert

Aaron Portzline‏@Aportzline

The great @adater reports Ryan O'Reilly will make his Avs debut on Sunday vs. #CBJ on a line with John Mitchell and Milan Hejduk.
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bumchilly25 View Post

The great @adater reports Ryan O'Reilly will make his Avs debut on Sunday vs. #CBJ on a line with John Mitchell and Milan Hejduk.
    Let's see if there will be any altercations or dirty looks in the Avs' dressing room to satisfy those who believe in the NHL team cult mentality (lol). HOW DARE HE HOLD OUT FOR MORE MONEY!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Am I the only who is trying to figure out (with little success) which one of the three is being punished by having to play with the other two?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Expert

Agreed. I think ROR might have to work his way back into the mix a bit. It will probably take at least a period.....fingers crossed. The kid's too talented to not at least be the #2 C.
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What I really want to know is which other teams made offer sheets. I'm quite speechless Jay Feaster still has a job after this shit storm. He's arrogant enough to make the offer sheet and not confirm with Bill Daly.

There's a reason Tampa Bay moved on and they're better off. I do think Calgary has some pretty good scouts, which make Feaster seem like a better GM than he is.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Expert

Some might argue with the Calgary has good scouts comment...and I'm a Canuck fan...check the Canucks draft record the last 40 years.

Agreed though that Feaster sure looks like an idiot here.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Some might argue with the Calgary has good scouts comment...and I'm a Canuck fan...check the Canucks draft record the last 40 years.

Agreed though that Feaster sure looks like an idiot here.
    I'm talking about their draft record lately. Before that it was pretty sub par.

2010: Max Reinhart and Michael Ferland.
    2011: Sven Baertschi, John Gaudreau, Laurent Brossoit, Markus Granlund and Tyler Wotherspoon.
    2012: Mark Jankowski, Patrick Sieloff and Jon Gillies.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Expert

Fair enough. Like I said, the Canucks can go back 40 years...it's not pretty. Calgary needs to do something soon though, or they're going to be cellar dwelling for years to come.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I'm talking about their draft record lately. Before that it was pretty sub par.

2010: Max Reinhart and Michael Ferland.
    2011: Sven Baertschi, John Gaudreau, Laurent Brossoit, Markus Granlund and Tyler Wotherspoon.
    2012: Mark Jankowski, Patrick Sieloff and Jon Gillies.
    It looks nice right now but I want to see results before saying they did a good job.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust