Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: O'Reilly Offer Sheet By Flames Matched by Avs

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    Colorado just matched the Flames offer sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    And I guess they matched...

Still a good gamble for the Flames. I don't know why it had to come to this for Colorado.
    Agreed. And agreed with your point that it was something Calgary had to do but at the same time didn't make the a contender necessarily.

Was thinking that on my way home when I heard it aired over the radio.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by mapletreemarty View Post
    No brainer for the Avs to match, didn't surprise me they matched right away, they need O'Reilly in the lineup and fast.
    I don't see this making the Avs into a playoff team... hell I don't know that O'Reilly would have turned the Flames into a guaranteed playoff team. They would have been better taking a couple of solid picks in a strong draft and keeping some cap space.
    What could possibly go wrong in a locker room full of young players with someone who seems to quite clearly want to be elsewhere?

Should have taken a page from the advice you see on Dobber, it isn't about winning every transaction, it is about making your team better.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by icevenom View Post
    some say in a redraft he would go top 3 (if you redrafted his draft year based on what you now know)
    Yes but he's being paid $5M/yr versus an actual top 5 pick that is on a 3 year ELC. Huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Don't forget, there was a 3 year bridge contract (which was under 2mil/yr) between the offer sheet and Kelser's current deal. This is the sort of contract that O'Reilly should be on.
    O'Reilly should be on whatever contract the market bears for him. And apparently that is $5M/yr, judging by two teams signing on the dotted line that they will pay him that much money. Why on earth should he sign for under $2M on a bridge contract? He's not running a charity. He's spent probably 20 years as a hockey player working up to an NHL career which on average lasts like what, 3 years? Good for him on cashing in.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

it's a 2 year deal. 5M is nothing, i think he's still RFA after the contract expires right?

calgary's 1st on the other hand...man that franchise is going in the wrong direction lol. avs just saved them from being kessel'd.

Dobber Sports Star

So the Avs could have signed him to the deal he wanted before the season started and none of this would have happened.

Not that they should have. But if they did, it would be the same damn thing almost.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

*Edit* - I was typing whilst the Avs apparently matched... speaking of teams looking for cap trouble next year...
    Avs have 12m in cap space with the entire core signed for next year. Now 2014-2015 is a whole different matter.
    Last edited by Rrabbit; February 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rrabbit View Post
    Avs have 12m in cap space with the entire core signed for next year. Now 2014-2015 is a whole different matter.
    No, the 11.8mil in space showing on Capgeek does not include the 5mil of cap space going to O'Reilly. They have about 6.8mil to spare next year.

The following year you're right, they're getting screwed and this O'Reilly deal will hurt more then because he won't resign for a much lower number and Lando and Duchene's agents are going to point at the deal for the money their clients should be getting as a minimum. I guess Stastny might come down a bit, but they should start planning ahead.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Pro

I hope we never hear from his dumbass dad again

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    I hope we never hear from his dumbass dad again
    Won't you miss insights like this?

ADHD, bipolar,OC,OD are behaviour people choose because they feel disconnected, unloved,inadequate. Compassionate counselling not chemicals
    /S

Victoria DH

Dobber Sports Master

sherman sounded a bit cranky in that avs presser .

No, the 11.8mil in space showing on Capgeek does not include the 5mil of cap space going to O'Reilly. They have about 6.8mil to spare next year.

The following year you're right, they're getting screwed and this O'Reilly deal will hurt more then because he won't resign for a much lower number and Lando and Duchene's agents are going to point at the deal for the money their clients should be getting as a minimum. I guess Stastny might come down a bit, but they should start planning ahead.
    If they can lock down Duchene and Landeskog long term for 5m cap hit that wouldn't be bad at all. The matching of ROR made one thing absolutely certain though. The Avs will be trading one of Stastny or ROR before the deadline of next season.

I'd be a lot more worried as a Calgary fan about cap space and the backlash from Avs when it comes to RFAs. The like of Baertschi better not reach that stage or Calgary can be certain he'll get offersheeted. Difference is that Calgary can't do shit to clear cap space with all those NTCs though.

Dobber Sports Pro

I know in the NHL that offer sheets are faux pas (?) but I love them. In the NBA they happen much more frequently. As a GM, if you don't like an offer sheet because you believe it's bad business then I thing you're in the wrong business. It should be a standard business practice in professional sports, after all, it's not only a competition on the ice.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think this is a bad move by the Avs. I agree with the fact that Calgary are in desperate need of a first line center so overpaying wasn't such a bad move and ROR would have been in a great situation offensively.

Why bad move for Avs...

1st, with a 6.5M 2nd yrs... that tables the next contract for ROR at a pretty steep price. At 24, still RFA and I think he will be intitled to arbitration too. That's a real bad situation for the Avs. Is ROR going to be asking 7M?!?

2nd, the Avs can't trade him for a calendar year. Unless I'm misinterpreting this, that takes us to Feb 28th 2014. Now if the trade deadline is prior to this date... Avs can't trade ROR for the whole duration of his 2 yrs contract. Of course... this should be verified since I'm not 100% sure this is correct.

3rd, team chemestry. That pretty self explanatory.

Your thoughts
    Sim Dynasty League - 30 teams // 60 player (pro&farm) + Unsigned Prospect

Pro Club (23 with 71,4m cap)
    C - N. Backstrom, Nielsen, Cizikas, Glendening
    LW - Panarin, Domi, Tanev, Goldobin
    RW - Ovechkin, O. Kase, Roussel, Lowry
    D - Josi, Carlson, Shattenkirk, Schmidt, Engelland, Stecher
    G - Holtby, Coreau

Farm Notables:
    F - Wallmark, Bluegar, Verhaeghe, Sgarbossa, Miletic, Vecchione, Agostino, Khaira, Kirklan, Haapala, Baun, Lodge,
    D - McCoshen, Snuggerud, Pionk, Rosen, Sautner, Loov
    G - Ullmark, Hill, Georgiev, Appleby

Notable Prospects: Lipanov, Letunov, Abramov, Marody, Chekhovich, Lilljgren, Walman, Farrance, Cederholm, Berkovitz, Montembeault

ROR is such a douche... nuf said. I can't believe the Avs matched and how is this guy going to walk into the locker room and face his teammates? Landeskog and Duchene are guys you would want to build around, not ROR. Ship the bastard to CBJ.

and

Calgary... the most mismanaged team outside of the NYI and CBJ. At least the Islanders draft properly.

Dobber Sports Pro

Play him on the 3rd line without Landeskog and lets see how he does. ROR=overrated.