Thread: Holtby and Backstrom

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Holtby and Backstrom

Time to give these guys some credit?

They have been posting really solid numbers for for a few weeks now. Do you guys see this trend continuing?

Is Washington back?
    8 Team Yahoo Weekly H2H (1yr)
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 1Util, 2G, 4BN, 3IR
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, L, GA, GAA, SV, SA, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Eric Staal, Getzlaf, Ribeiro
    LW: Lupul (LW,RW), Hartnell, Elias (C,LW), Cammalleri (C,LW), Ott (C,LW)
    RW: Malkin (C,RW), Backes (C,RW), Seguin (C,RW), Callahan
    D: Pietrangelo, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Bouwmeester, Streit, Burns (D,RW), Wisniewski
    G: Rask, Backstrom, Bobrovsky
    IR: Spezza (C), Oshie (C,RW)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Holtby is going to be a fantastic goalie and have always been of the mindset that Backstrom is one of the more consistent goalies in the NHL (when healthy).

In a keeper I'm not as high on Backstrom, but for one year leagues he's bound to get you a respectable GAA along with a SV% north of 91%. I'll take that every time.
    15-team keeper (keep 10) - G,A,+/-,PPP, Hits, Blocked Shots, W, SV%, Saves

Forwards - Kunin, Trenin, Eichel, Bjorkstrand, Boldy, Pastrnak, Boeser, Caufield, Laine, Crosby, Newhook, Konecny, Farabee, Rossi (NA)
    Defenseman - Brodin, Hamilton, Zadorov, Severson, Forsling, Braun, Roy
    Goalies - Sorokin, Hill, Varlamov, Daws

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by cizastro View Post
    I think Holtby is going to be a fantastic goalie and have always been of the mindset that Backstrom is one of the more consistent goalies in the NHL (when healthy).

In a keeper I'm not as high on Backstrom, but for one year leagues he's bound to get you a respectable GAA along with a SV% north of 91%. I'll take that every time.
    I know I have been debating this for a while now. I think I like Backstrom more than Ward or Varlamov, but just can't get myself to pull the trigger...

D: Pietrangelo, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Bouwmeester, Streit, Burns (D,RW), Wisniewski

I think out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd take Ward personally. He's always been a rock too. Carolina has been struggling, but Ward is much younger and the most proven. He's also a workhorse.

Varlamov would probably be next just because he's young, has shown to be good and I feel Colorado is a very solid up-and-coming team once they all get healthy. My only question with Varlamov is his durability. If he can go a few seasons without any major injury issues, I think he rises to the top of that list.

Forwards - Kunin, Trenin, Eichel, Bjorkstrand, Boldy, Pastrnak, Boeser, Caufield, Laine, Crosby, Newhook, Konecny, Farabee, Rossi (NA)

Dobber Sports Stud

I think out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd take Ward personally. He's always been a rock too. Carolina has been struggling, but Ward is much younger and the most proven. He's also a workhorse.

Varlamov would probably be next just because he's young, has shown to be good and I feel Colorado is a very solid up-and-coming team once they all get healthy. My only question with Varlamov is his durability. If he can go a few seasons without any major injury issues, I think he rises to the top of that list.
    I agree too but would you say that in a one year league too?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by khiyasu View Post
    I agree too but would you say that in a one year league too?
    I like Backstrom much more than Ward or Varly in a 1 year. All 3 of those teams have bad defense (I'd rank them CAR, COL, MIN from worst to best but they are all close). Ward will probably have an end of the year comeback (he usually does) but Backstrom will at least be consistent if not spectacular.

I owe Backstrom for holding my goaltending together in my keeper while Lehtonen and Anderson have been out.

I think Holtby will be pretty good the rest of the season. He'll probably be somewhat streaky but he's got elite upside IMO and I think he can handle the mental ups and downs of the NHL.
    Last edited by letangerang58; February 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    I like Backstrom much more than Ward or Varly in a 1 year. All 3 of those teams have bad defense (I'd rank them CAR, COL, MIN from worst to best but they are all close). Ward will probably have an end of the year comeback (he usually does) but Backstrom will at least be consistent if not spectacular.

I owe Backstrom for holding my goaltending together in my keeper while Lehtonen and Anderson have been out.

I think Holtby will be pretty good the rest of the season. He'll probably be somewhat streaky but he's got elite upside IMO and I think he can handle the mental ups and downs of the NHL.
    Bryz just got dropped and if he clears waivers I'm thinking of dropping both ward and varly and picking up bryz and backstrom. Not sure if that is wide or not. Holtby is available and looks like Washington is hitting their stride finally

For a one year, I'd go Backstrom for sure. I think Ward will heat up along with the entire Carolina team, but it might be good to grab Bryz. You could always snag Ward later if he starts heating up.

Backstrom seems like a no-brainer though. He's at the top of the list in a one-year league.

Dobber Sports Stud

For a one year, I'd go Backstrom for sure. I think Ward will heat up along with the entire Carolina team, but it might be good to grab Bryz. You could always snag Ward later if he starts heating up.

Backstrom seems like a no-brainer though. He's at the top of the list in a one-year league.
    Yeah I think so, been riding Ward and Varly for so long now just getting a bit impatient. Can't even seem to pull any stretches of good play. Maybe one or two games then its 3-4 horrible games.

Backstrom has been really consistent and Holtby seems like he is getting consistent since he regained the starting position from Neuvy.

Bryz is hot and cold too so seems a bit risky but has been a bit more consistent than Ward.