Thread: Should I trade for Kipper?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Should I trade for Kipper?

I am currently in first and making a run at the championship in my keeper league (details in sig)....looking to shore up my goaltending by adding a 3rd goalie via trade.

Right now Lundy and Ward are my #1, 2. I had Hiller as my #3, but dumped him for Pavelec last week as my league's cats favour volume and I don't want any golaies involved in time-shares. I will only be keeping 2 goalies, so I am only worried about this season.

I am pretty sure that I could obtain Kipper via trade for a fairly low price.....is he an upgrade over Pavelec? The Flames are pretty shoddy, but it's not like the Jet's defense is anything to write home about either.

Should I put in an offer for Kipper or stick with what I have?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Rookie

Sedin, Phaneuf, Brown and Lundqvist terribly slow starts, Benn contract, Kesler and Callahan injury, Ward and Hiller have sucked... how are you in first?

As far as the swap, Kipper is as good as done as a useful goalie and I'd normally say to stick with Hiller there, but if you don't want a guy in a timeshare.... you might not have a choice.

Honestly I'm all ears to any advice here as a fellow Ward and Hiller owner myself.

edit -- whoops, glazed over the "dumped hiller for pavelec"

You think Kipper can still be an effective fantasy goalie on that team?...
    Last edited by mickloud; February 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM.

Dobber Sports Giant

YES, Kipper is an upgrade over Pavelec. If you don't lose any offensive production to get him, I would send out offers now before he is back to game form...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mickloud View Post
    Sedin, Phaneuf, Brown and Lundqvist terribly slow starts, Benn contract, Kesler and Callahan injury, Ward and Hiller have sucked... how are you in first?

As far as the swap, Kipper is as good as done as a useful goalie and I'd normally say to stick with Hiller there, but if you don't want a guy in a timeshare.... you might not have a choice.

Honestly I'm all ears to any advice here as a fellow Ward and Hiller owner myself.
    Look at my leage cats, and then look at my team. 1/2 of the total # of skater categories are defensive/toughness categories. My league counts hits, BS, SHP, PIM and I have most of the top mulit-cat studs: Backes, Callahan, Brown, Phaneuf. Even guys like Patches, Carlson, McDonagh have grit to their game and make big contributions in peripherals. The rest of the managers in my league hugely undervalue the peripheral stats and I took advantage in the draft. They didn't realize that I had a monopoly on these type of players until the draft was over. A few teams are just getting slaughtered as they drafted teams with 100% skill....they have been losing all the toughness cats by a mile every single week. If their offense dries up or their goalies have a bad week, they get crushed as they have lost 3-4 categories before the match even starts. As a result, I was able to trade Lucic (who I also drafted) for Sedin when he was struggling.

My team is dominant in hits, PIM, bs, and shp as it is made up of some very under-rated gritty 2-way forwards that are studs in my league's format. As for my goalies, I have been lucky in that department...despite the slow starts of Lundy and Ward, I've eeked out wins in the goalie cats with some waiver-wire magic and spot starts.

As for Ward, I've owned him other years and he (and the Canes as a team) are notoriously slow starters. He tends to get really hot in the second half of the season, just in time for fantasy playoffs. No need to panic on him or sell low, he'll turn it around.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm not sold on Kipper being that much of an upgrade over Pavelec, particuarly in a volume-weighted league. And while the Flames have been playing better of late, so too have the Jets. I guess the one aspect in which Kipper might be a little safer is consistency, as I see Pavelec having the better numbers in some games and the far worse numbers in others -- large swings from week to week or even game to game.

That said, in your situation, I'd be rolling Lundy and Ward as my unquestioned Nos. 1 & 2 regardless of whether I had Pavelec or Kipper on the bench. So with that in mind, if you can't get Kipper on the cheap (and really I mean by giving up nothing that may be of help to you in your quest for the championship this year), I'd advocate standing pat such that a simple inquiry to the Kipper owner might make this decision quite simple.

Cheers.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    I'm not sold on Kipper being that much of an upgrade over Pavelec, particuarly in a volume-weighted league. And while the Flames have been playing better of late, so too have the Jets. I guess the one aspect in which Kipper might be a little safer is consistency, as I see Pavelec having the better numbers in some games and the far worse numbers in others -- large swings from week to week or even game to game.

That said, in your situation, I'd be rolling Lundy and Ward as my unquestioned Nos. 1 & 2 regardless of whether I had Pavelec or Kipper on the bench. So with that in mind, if you can't get Kipper on the cheap (and really I mean by giving up nothing that may be of help to you in your quest for the championship this year), I'd advocate standing pat such that a simple inquiry to the Kipper owner might make this decision quite simple.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the input. The whole reason I ask is Pavelec's consistency.....I've owned him for spurts other years, and could't deal with the roller coaster. He would go on some really nice hot stretches, but could absolutely destroy you on any given night. That said, those leagues didn't count all 3 counting stats of SV, W, and SO.....having the extra volume stat makes Pavelec more valuable as he plays a ton and faces a lot of shots when he does. On weeks that Ward or Pavelec have blow up games, I still have an excellent chance at W, SV and SO as I have 3 workhorse starters.....that's what has kept me competitive so far.

Kipper has been a worhorse but with far greater consistency......his numbers last year were fantastic, on an almost equally terrible Flames team. He can steal games, and gives a far greater chance of getting a shutout than Pavelec. I just question his health and his age at this point.

Pavelec has strung together some wins, so I think I may sit tight for a bit. When Kipper comes back, his owner will have to drop a goalie, most likely Nabokov, who isn't a terrbile option either this year. If Pavelec is really sucking it up at that point, I can make the swap for free.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Looking for that 3rd starter for an affordable price. Having read through the thread, I'm beginning to think Kipper may be an excellent option. It really boils down to how much you have to pay to spring him loose. It's worth a shot.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf