Thread: 2 HUGE trades. Dobber thoughts?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default 2 HUGE trades. Dobber thoughts?

I am in a keeper league where the only way you can keep/retain a guy is if he is on your roster at the end of his rookie season. Keeper eligibility/retention is tradeable.

Deal 1:
    Give-
    Parise
    Gaborik
    Clarkson
    Semin
    7th, 8th, 10th round picks

Got-
    Hartnell
    Tlusty
    Baertschi (K)
    Faulk (K)
    1st, 4th, 6th round picks.

Deal 2:
    Give-
    Alfredsson
    Steen
    Ben Bishop
    3rd, 4th round picks

Got-
    Kessel
    Eriksson
    Lehtonen
    6th, 9th round picks
    I'm in 1st place currently, & I made these moves mostly to stop another manager from repeating as Champion. These 2 were sellers & I got there first. Deal 1 is in 9th & thinking about writing the season off (see; sell assets), but I convinced him to ply for the Championship with this offer. I REALLY wanted Sven & Faulk, since they're keepers. The 1st & 4th were just nice to get. After deal 1 was made, deal 2 was offered to me by the other manager. I have made 12 trades this year & I made 11 last year in this league, that is the only way I've aqcuired this team. I have spent mega-bucks (in terms of fantasy hockey) to get these pieces. I'm thinking of adding Brodin to the stable also, but not sure yet, these trades changed the team dynamic a little. Fire away, my friends...

Team:
    C-Stamkos (K), Granlund (K-eligible), Ribeiro, Spezza (IR-obviously)
    LW-Landeskog (K), Baertschi (K), Marchand (K), Hartnell, Tlusty
    RW-Perry, Kessel, Pavelski, Eriksson, Kopecky
    D-Markov, Goligoski, Salo, Martin (PIT)
    G-Rinne (K), Quick (K), Lehtonen

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Last edited by Captain Krunch; February 26, 2013 at 7:36 AM. Reason: Horrible in it's original form...sorry fellas, I'll get better at this.

Dobber Sports Novice

It's a Yahoo league, so there is some dual-eligibility for some guys.

Dobber Sports Expert

If you want to win this year deal 1 will not help you at all.

Deal 2 actualy seems to be a steal as long as Lehtonen is not out for too long.Not sure if i get this right but trading a 3rd rounder for a 1st round pick, swap the 4th rounder and get an extra 6th round pick together with Lehtonen and Kessel seems to be a good one. Long and short term.

Dobber Sports Ace

Yah, your league is kinda strange. Picks and rookies are worth more than gold it seems.

Deal 1 - I am practically sure all the guys you gave up (except maybe Clarkson) will likely outscore everyone you got this year.

Deal 2 - you sort of made up for it. Kessel for a 3rd rounder?

But if you really wanted to win, why do deal 1?
    Last edited by cdubb; February 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Superstar

I agree. This league baffles me.

Deal 1 is very very ugly for you. Like Cyote ugly, then chew off the other arm just to teach yourself a lesson.

Deal 2 is very very good for you.

So ultimately you have moved the players below, which might be close considering the keeper status, but ultimately if you're in 1st and want to win, why do deal 1 at all? Just make deal 2 and almost gaurantee yourself the championship?

Parise/Gaborik/Clarkson/Semin/Alfredsson/Steen/Bishop/3rd/7th/8th/10th

for

Hartnell/Kessel/Erikksson/Lehtonen/Tlusty/Baertschi/Faulk/1st/6th/6th/9th

Dobber Sports Novice

I did deal 1 for Faulk & Bartschi. The 1st & 4th, I felt, were just awesome extras. OMG (<--outrageous pun intended!) yes, you wouldn't believe the way guys value their scouting techniques/select keepers. It's really fun, because you have to grab some guys before they "break-out." But, some guys waste seasons "waiting" on guys. It's a unique concept. But, in the end, I really did it because my brother is the reigning 2-time Champ & 3 out of the last 4. He would've made deal 2 if I didn't. & deal 1 was going to be a seller at the trade deadline, but he was going to sell pieces for THIS year (no keepers, just trade all his superstars for draft picks to my brother), so I decided to make him a contender instead, since he's currently in 9th. The timing of the 2 trades is just a fluke.

Dobber Sports Novice

If you look at NHL value, deal 1 is the remnants of a Cat. 5 tornado. Getting good keepers is very difficult in this league. A guy like Sven was grabbed at the beginning of last year & rode dude's bench as an NA player, Faulk was drafted 2 years ago & same thing. Not every rookie/player has high value. There are some guys that are worth their projections. & ultimately, I wanted to balance out the playing field. I flipped the 1st rounder I got & Eriksson for Jamie Benn & a 3rd. Figured that'd soften some of the blow.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krunch View Post
    I did deal 1 for Faulk & Bartschi. The 1st & 4th, I felt, were just awesome extras. OMG (<--outrageous pun intended!) yes, you wouldn't believe the way guys value their scouting techniques/select keepers. It's really fun, because you have to grab some guys before they "break-out." But, some guys waste seasons "waiting" on guys. It's a unique concept. But, in the end, I really did it because my brother is the reigning 2-time Champ & 3 out of the last 4. He would've made deal 2 if I didn't. & deal 1 was going to be a seller at the trade deadline, but he was going to sell pieces for THIS year (no keepers, just trade all his superstars for draft picks to my brother), so I decided to make him a contender instead, since he's currently in 9th. The timing of the 2 trades is just a fluke.
    if the point is winning (and beating your brother)
    (a) why weaken yourself this year with deal #1 (Faulk and Baertschi get hype here, but they aren't guaranteed allstars)
    and (b) make the 9th place team stronger? If he was going to sell his superstars shouldn't you trade for them?

I'd rather make my team better this year to win it all, then if need be rebuild next year.
    Last edited by cdubb; February 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM.
    Semi-retired

I...am your father.

I was a little confused myself and actually thought you miswrote "give" and "got" in the opposite spots. You call them 'sellers' yet they acquire Daniel Alfredsson? Anyone who acquires Alffy is a buyer, not a seller. I kinda feel the same way about Semin, too.

But your wording aside, I think you did well to bolster your future. Those aren't 'win now' trades unless you use your new assets to acquire something to help immediately.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krunch View Post
    deal 1 was going to be a seller at the trade deadline, but he was going to sell pieces for THIS year (no keepers, just trade all his superstars for draft picks to my brother), so I decided to make him a contender instead, since he's currently in 9th.
    I worry that all you did here was give him additional superstars to sell to your brother at the deadline. He's going to be hard pressed to move himself out of the basement in this shortened season, and there's nothing to stop him from going full sell mode later either.