Thread: I want Iginla - am I nuts?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default I want Iginla - am I nuts?

I'm thinking of making a play for Iginla as his owner is a very impatient GM, plus I may need his goals (assuming he'll start scoring soon). We count G, A, STPTS, +/-, PIM. I can use goals right now.

Just looked up Iginla's stats: 1 goal after 15 games. 1 goal !! 57 SOG. Wow. Even by his slow-starter pattern, that is really bad. There is still hope, I think. Gonna offer Goligoski and Strome. The Iginla owner is asking for Goligoski, Strome and Kreider and throwing a 2nd rounder my way along with Iginla. Too much, me thinks. Malkin potentially being out for awhile is what is making me consider this offer seriously. I am in contention this year. Hate giving up top prospects for an overpaid and declining Iginla (it's salary cap league) but sometimes these are the moves that win you the title.

By the way, Jagr is available on the WW and I'm thinking of claiming him (we have a reverse standing waiver draft order weekly so I may not be able to get him) as a potential alternative to trading for Iginla. I think Iginla will score more goals than Jagr from now on, though.

Thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by VincentVega; February 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'd take Jagr over Iginla. The Flames are terrible, and the Jagr/Benn combo has been very potent so far. I would expect Iginla to improve on those #s, and this may be the year he finally gets dealt. It's hard to say how much he's declining, the whole Flames team is just such a stinker so far this yr.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Jagr sounds like the cheaper option at this point but I agree that Iginla has a chance at being more valuable looking forward. Iginla is still putting up almost 4 shots per game while Jagr is closer to 3. Jagr's hitting the mark but the puck will undoubtedly start finding the twine for Iggy.
    12-Team H2H Weekly Total Points,F-10,D-4,G-2,Bench-4. Keep any 5.
    [G3..A1..SHG+1..SHA+1..BLK.3..HIT.1..SOG.1..FOW.01]
    [Win3..SV.3..GA-3]
    F - Tavares, MacKinnon, Duchene, Eichel, Okposo, E. Kane[IR], Dubinsky[IR], Larkin, Ehlers, Yakupov, Voracek, Foligno, Ennis, Draisaitl, Nelson
    D - Carlson, Giordano, E. Johnson, Krug
    G - Price[IR], Rask, Raanta

Dobber Sports Stud

I would be all over Iginla for the price of Goligoski and Strome, if you could make that happen, especially with you being in contention. 57 SOG is very good, sure he only has one goal, but I have no doubt with him still firing off a good amount of shots that he will find twine. Iginla is still a great player, maybe not what he once was, but still a great asset to have on a fantasy team. I believe the goals will come for Iginla, and that he will finish the year with a game or two under PPG. Even with one goal, Iginla still has a pretty solid 11 points in 16 games, and he hasn't exactly had a hot streak yet. Being in contention, I would really like to acquire him, for futures.

Jagr is great to be had for free, I don't think he's going to be better than Iginla for the remainder of the year, or any other year moving forward. He's probably a better play though for free, seeing how you don't have to give up a solid future piece in Strome and potentially Kreider, as well as a solid D in Goligoski.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks all for your input.

Well, I ended up trading Strome and Kreider for Chris Stewart. Much younger and cheaper option than Iginla with the extra PIM, plus I didn't have to give up Goligoski, whose production I can use this year. If I don't get Jagr off waivers on Monday(I pick last and there are 15 other teams ahead of me), I may revisit trying to get Iginla. I'm thinking I'll start with Goligoski + Turris, plus something else.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.