Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DiPietro going on waivers ....

Dobber Sports Guru

Default DiPietro going on waivers ....

Of course no one will claim him due to his ridiculous contract but .....

from twitter:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
    Wow RT @StapeNewsday #Isles will place Rick DiPietro on waivers at noon.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
    Rick DiPietro is still under contract for eight seasons beyond this one.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
    Intent is to send DiPietro to Bridgeport. Kevin Poulin to be recalled once DiPietro clears. #Isles
    my favourite tweet:

Justin ‏@jtbourne
    Tim Thomas and Rick DiPietro: $9.5M on the salary cap to not play: The Islanders!

Administrator

Pretty disgraceful how much dead cap there is on that team preventing them from doing anything meaningful.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Pretty disgraceful how much dead cap there is on that team preventing them from doing anything meaningful.
    Even with the dead cap space, they still have plenty left (remember, they signed Thomas only because they needed to get to the cap floor) to do something meaningful. They just aren't doing it.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

they have more than enough cap space to do something nobody wants to play for them

wonder if they plan on working poulin in a large number of games thinking towards the future

wonder if i should dump neuvirth and give poulin a shot i think neuvirths chance at stealing a starting gig has come and gone and i have to drop him at the end of the season anyway

Dobber Sports Guru

hahahahahaha

Jeff Angus ‏@anguscertified
    If the Isles buy out DiPietro, they have to pay him until 2029. The Mets can sympathize - they are paying Bobby Bonilla until 2035.

Dobber Sports Wizard

it would be pointless for them to buy him out they need the full cap hit in the immediate future i would think

Dobber Sports Guru

yes they do. Even with DiPshitro in Bridgeport they are on the hook for 3.6 against the cap

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
    #Isles Per rules of the new CBA, DiPietro still carries cap hit of (pro-rated) $3.6mil ($4.5m minus $900k) even if he stays in Bridgeport
    and guess what, Poulin's cap hit is just short of 900k so from a cap perspective its a wash if they keep him in the AHL>

In two non-playing goalies no less. What was the point of the Thomas acquisition?
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Even with the dead cap space, they still have plenty left (remember, they signed Thomas only because they needed to get to the cap floor) to do something meaningful. They just aren't doing it.
    That's exactly my point. They are spending minimum money but are using trickery to end up spending even less.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    In two non-playing goalies no less. What was the point of the Thomas acquisition?
    to make sure they could stay over the floor if they decided to move someone say vis at the deadline

Dobber Sports Wizard

That's exactly my point. They are spending minimum money but are using trickery to end up spending even less.
    short of ridiculously overpaying players there really isnt much they can do

they trade for nabokov he doesnt want to play for them they trade for vis he doesnt want to play granted both came but they didnt want to is the point

hell thomas reportedly decided to sit the season out because he knew he was getting traded to the islanders

they have to rely on waiver wire pickups just to fill their roster because getting anyone to sign with them is pretty tough going

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    short of ridiculously overpaying players there really isnt much they can do

they trade for nabokov he doesnt want to play for them they trade for vis he doesnt want to play granted both came but they didnt want to is the point

hell thomas reportedly decided to sit the season out because he knew he was getting traded to the islanders

they have to rely on waiver wire pickups just to fill their roster because getting anyone to sign with them is pretty tough going
    There is a reason players don't want to play there and the cap trickery isn't helping.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sometimes I like to google "DiPietro" and look at "Images".
    That is all.
    (You can all send me REP later when you plead your innocence to your significant others.)

Dobber Sports Wizard

There is a reason players don't want to play there and the cap trickery isn't helping.
    and if they signed a few jeff finger contracts we would all be bitching about that as well

hopefully when they end up in a new arena and if they start being competitive they can convince some players to sign with them

there is no question things just arent done well there but since the league refuses to contract you will get teams like this

Dobber Sports Guru

this is funny

Per @TSNResearch - Rick DiPietro has played 175 games since signing 15-year deal w/ NYI while missing 247 due to injury