Thread: Does the Fasth extension officially kill Hiller's value?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Does the Fasth extension officially kill Hiller's value?

I tried to grab Hiller off waivers after he was dropped earlier this week, but someone with a higher waiver priority snagged him last night. Now Fasth is resigned for 2 years with a pretty nice salary, that will all but assure he continues to get work. Does this signing push Hiller's value even lower than it was a week ago? Should I be trying to buy low via trade, or walk away (roster/format in sig)?

How much do you Fasth owners love this news?

The Great One

Hiller has been unsteady and injury-prone, while Fasth and been nothing short of sensational. I believe Fasth is for real and a serious threat to Hiller's playing time. At best (for Hiller owners), I see a tandem situation. Some might hold out hope for a trade, but I don't see many teams gambling on Hiller, especially at his hefty salary.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Pro

I wouldnt say kill his value but it will surely drop it. Having a 65-70 start goalie is more valuable than a 55 start goalie. Hiller's career 2.55 GAA an .917 sv% get no respect in fantasy land it seems on this board.

Dobber Sports Wizard

hiller is moving further and further from the last time he put up numbers similar to his career average numbers which is why he gets no respect

Dobber Sports Wizard

Not kill but definitely lower it. Splitting time is what we're looking at for the rest of the year. Unless Hiller gets traded and who knows if that will happen this year. I would hold on to him for now as his stock is at an-all time low right now.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    hiller is moving further and further from the last time he put up numbers similar to his career average numbers which is why he gets no respect

Further and further over... THE FIRST 13 GAMES OF THIS SEASON!

Hiller at the end of last year was on fire, look at his stats, they were at least in line, if not better than, his career numbers. Then he started off this season slowly (as he has often done in prior years). So I don't know how this statement is justified. It just reflects that he's started off slowly and it so happens this new young gun has looked great (especially in comparison).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Further and further over... THE FIRST 13 GAMES OF THIS SEASON!

Hiller at the end of last year was on fire, look at his stats, they were at least in line, if not better than, his career numbers. Then he started off this season slowly (as he has often done in prior years). So I don't know how this statement is justified. It just reflects that he's started off slowly and it so happens this new young gun has looked great (especially in comparison).
    not just the first 13 games of the season

he may have come on strong at the end of last season but his numbers on the season were not career average numbers

10-11 was the last time he was at around career average numbers and that is getting further and further away

Dobber Sports Wizard

not just the first 13 games of the season

he may have come on strong at the end of last season but his numbers on the season were not career average numbers

10-11 was the last time he was at around career average numbers and that is getting further and further away
    Hiller had one of the best goalie stats last year from Jan onward. His season average are skewed by a few extremely poor outings early in the season.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Hiller had one of the best goalie stats last year from Jan onward. His season average are skewed by a few extremely poor outings early in the season.
    so we should ignore the bad and just focus on the good

Dobber Sports Wizard

so we should ignore the bad and just focus on the good
    Nope. Just pointing out he hasn't steadily gotten worse and that in fact, he had a stretch of three months last year where he was stellar. As a Hiller owner, I am concerned about his inconsistency, for sure.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Nope. Just pointing out he hasn't steadily gotten worse and that in fact, he had a stretch of three months last year where he was stellar. As a Hiller owner, I am concerned about his inconsistency, for sure.
    i said he was moving further and further from career average seasons

i didnt say he was getting steadily worse

the question came up as to why people dont value this guy so highly given his career average numbers

i think its fair to point out that he is kinda moving further from those numbers with every day that passes

yes he had a solid stretch of 3 months last season

and if he came out the gate this season continuing that i can see people getting upset that he gets no respect

but this isnt what is happening instead the guy is losing his job and it is as much his fault as it is fasths fault

i think hiller gets more than enough respect considering his lack of consistency and lack of a number 1 gig

Dobber Sports Wizard

i said he was moving further and further from career average seasons

i didnt say he was getting steadily worse

the question came up as to why people dont value this guy so highly given his career average numbers

i think its fair to point out that he is kinda moving further from those numbers with every day that passes

yes he had a solid stretch of 3 months last season

and if he came out the gate this season continuing that i can see people getting upset that he gets no respect

but this isnt what is happening instead the guy is losing his job and it is as much his fault as it is fasths fault

i think hiller gets more than enough respect considering his lack of consistency and lack of a number 1 gig
    Oh sure. I missed the part about him getting no respect. Was replying to what I thought was the perception that he has steadily gotten worse.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Oh sure. I missed the part about him getting no respect. Was replying to what I thought was the perception that he has steadily gotten worse.
    when i say moving further i am talking in terms of time