Thread: Kopitar for Backstrom?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Kopitar for Backstrom?

I was offered Kopitar for my Backstrom (C). I normally wouldn't consider this offer, but Backstrom doesn't look like his normal self anymore and is playing on the second line without Ovie. I know LA doesn't produce much offence, but Anze is still the main guy there.

My cats and team are in my sig. Do I trade for Kopitar with the potential to keep?
    6 Team Yahoo Points-Only Keeper League
    G = 1 pt and A = 1pt, W = 1pt and SO = 3pts
    Keep 4 (any position)
    Start 3 C, 4 W, 4 D, 1 G (starters in bold)
    Bench 6
    C: Backstrom, Kopitar, Duchene, B. Richards
    W: Malkin, Seguin, St. Louis, Hossa, Gaborik, Semin, Parenteau
    D: Byfuglien, Yandle, Campbell, Burns, Wisniewski, Visnovsky
    G: Halak, Lundqvist

Dobber Sports Wizard

thats a keep 4 in your sig who are you keeping kopitar over

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    thats a keep 4 in your sig who are you keeping kopitar over
    It's still early to predict, so I'm not sure who my keepers are yet. For sure two of them will be Malkin and Ovie, but the bottom two I'm not sure of. It's between Backstrom, Seguin, Gaborik and Pietrangelo. If I get Kopitar, it'll probably be him and Seguin (it's not really worth keeping a Dman in my league unless its Karlsson IMO)

I'm also planning on trying to make further moves in the future to upgrade my bottom keepers (2 for 1 type deal) if possible.
    Last edited by Meniac; February 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM.
    Keep 4 (any position)
    Bench 6

Dobber Sports Wizard

its risky for sure

if backstrom explodes he ends up being able to upgrade your keepers much more than kopitar will

Dobber Sports Initiate

Considering you have Ovie I wouldn't make this move. This silliness with Backstrom and Ovechkin being on different lines can't continue forever, and when they start playing together again things should get much better. The Kings are in a heavy Cup hangover, but the Capitals just need some time to adjust to getting the same message for a decent amount of time. Once they get all their ducks in a row things will be fine and Backstrom will be great again.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ninja

IMO owning Ovechkin has nothing to do with it. As far as I'm concerned I still value Backstrom as a greater commodity than Kopitar, or at least he should be. The guy was a first/second round pick last year in most one-year leagues, and after putting up an over point/game effort on a struggling team, his stock tumbled in most people's minds. Obviously didn't help that he only played half the season.

I'm not saying that Kopitar is a scrub, but Backstrom is at least on par with him if not better IMO.

My two cents.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by bizzl View Post
    Considering you have Ovie I wouldn't make this move. This silliness with Backstrom and Ovechkin being on different lines can't continue forever, and when they start playing together again things should get much better. The Kings are in a heavy Cup hangover, but the Capitals just need some time to adjust to getting the same message for a decent amount of time. Once they get all their ducks in a row things will be fine and Backstrom will be great again.
    I want to believe this, but the Caps have been in a 2-3 year funk lol. Do you really think they can get things back to normal there without making a major move?
    Keep 4 (any position)
    Bench 6

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    IMO owning Ovechkin has nothing to do with it.
    I didn't mean to infer that the only reason to choose Backstrom over Kopitar here is because he owns Ovechkin as well. I agree with you that Backstrom is probably more valuable than Kopitar, or at least on par, all by himself. The fact that they (should) play on the same line is a bonus, but it could be a huge bonus if the Caps turn it around.

I think the Caps problem is that they have been either too quick to make moves or they've been forced into it. Besides blowing the whole thing up I can't think of what else they could do. I'm sure that if they just let things settle down they will come out of it.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    IMO owning Ovechkin has nothing to do with it. As far as I'm concerned I still value Backstrom as a greater commodity than Kopitar, or at least he should be. The guy was a first/second round pick last year in most one-year leagues, and after putting up an over point/game effort on a struggling team, his stock tumbled in most people's minds. Obviously didn't help that he only played half the season.

I'm not saying that Kopitar is a scrub, but Backstrom is at least on par with him if not better IMO.

My two cents.
    This /\ /\

Kopitar is good but not as good as Backstrom. Once WSH gets going they will be a scoring beast, LA has not much scoring after Anze, so as he goes so do the Kings..

think of it this way, when Ov and Backs get going theres two FPNTS for every goal (not to mention a plus 2 in the +/-), because yo know one passed to the other..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sounds like I should hold on to Backstrom... let's just hope him and the Caps wake up soon!
    Keep 4 (any position)
    Bench 6