Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (TV Series NO SPOILERS)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm excited for the Egrit sex scene the trailer seems to allude to and we all knew was coming anyway if for no other reason than Egrit is the funniest name on a show full of ludicrous names and I want to hear John Snow say it mid sex-moan.
    I cannot confirm or deny that.....

Just imagine trying to pronounce it while reading the books before the show....

"Ygritte" is the spelling....just think of all the ways to say that...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I cannot confirm or deny that.....

Just imagine trying to pronounce it while reading the books before the show....

"Ygritte" is the spelling....just think of all the ways to say that...
    You know, it definitely does sound like there's a "Y" in there when she says her name on the show but I figured it was just the result of her terrifying accent.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

1 sleep away
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    1 sleep away
    Winter is ****ing coming!!!!! Everything I've read about this season in build up is that Season 3 is supposed to make the first two seem boring as hell!

Dobber Sports Stud

Winter is ****ing coming!!!!! Everything I've read about this season in build up is that Season 3 is supposed to make the first two seem boring as hell!
    Sounds awesome!!!! Just over an hour away! I've been watching recaps/previews, features with cast etc. all day today. HBO on demand had some 10-minute features on season three. I'm pumped!

Quick question, metaldude--
    I'm pretty sure you've stated you read the books. I have a non-spoilerish question mainly on how the books are told. We don't see any flashbacks in the show and the history is explained in minor detail. The show kind of just sticks with the "current". Sometimes you'll hear characters reference the Mad King and other famous figures and sometimes they'll tell you how stuff happened (like how they've mentioned Jamie killing the Mad King, Robert's Rebellion, Regehr murdering Lyanna etc.). However, you don't experience it as if it were "current", the show just tells you that stuff happened. Regarding the books, are there flashbacks that actually put you in the past? And not just as far back as Robert's Rebellion, but even further. For example, when Aegon the Conqueror and his dragons took the kingdoms, or how the First Men defeated the White Walkers during the Long Night (I've read about these events in the Inside HBO's Game of Thrones, and I'd really like to learn more on them as well as everything else). Learning about the stuff that happened prior to the start of HBO's adaptation is one of the major reasons I'd like to read the books.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 31, 2013 at 8:18 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Administrator

Sounds awesome!!!! Just over an hour away! I've been watching recaps/previews, features with cast etc. all day today. HBO on demand had some 10-minute features on season three. I'm pumped!

Quick question, metaldude--
    I'm pretty sure you've stated you read the books. I have a non-spoilerish question mainly on how the books are told. We don't see any flashbacks in the show and the history is rarely explained. The show kind of just sticks with the "current". Sometimes you'll hear characters reference the Mad King and other famous figures and sometimes they'll tell you how stuff happened (like how they've mentioned Jamie killing the Mad King, Robert's Rebellion, Regehr murdering Lyanna etc.). However, you don't experience it as if it were "current", the show just tells you that stuff happened. Regarding the books, are there flashbacks that actually put you in the past? And not just as far back as Robert's Rebellion, but even further. For example, when Aegon the Conqueror and his dragons took the kingdoms, or how the First Men defeated the White Walkers during the Long Night (I've read about these events in the Inside HBO's Game of Thrones, and I'd really like to learn more on them as well as everything else). Learning about the stuff that happened prior to the start of HBO's adaptation is one of the major reasons I'd like to read the books.
    I haven't read the books and am actively avoiding doing so until this series is finished so I can get maximum enjoyment out of both but I'm sure some who are up on the books can fill us in.

Dobber Sports Stud

I haven't read the books and am actively avoiding doing so until this series is finished so I can get maximum enjoyment out of both but I'm sure some who are up on the books can fill us in.
    Oh wow, thought for sure you were one of the members here who read the books. I plan on waiting until the series ends as well, but the history part is intriguing me!
    Go Jets Go

Administrator

Oh wow, thought for sure you were one of the members here who read the books. I plan on waiting until the series ends as well, but the history part is intriguing me!
    Yeah, I like to pick up little tidbits like that that can help inform my experience but there's no way I'll dive into the books before the show finishes because all of my experiences with going from screen to page is that you can only go one direction. Page to screen just doesn't work.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah, I like to pick up little tidbits like that that can help inform my experience but there's no way I'll dive into the books before the show finishes because all of my experiences with going from screen to page is that you can only go one direction. Page to screen just doesn't work.
    Completely agree. As much as I want to read the books, I think I'm going to wait. I was going to start the books in the summer, but only read up to the third book and never read beyond what is being aired. Now that I've thought about it, better off just waiting. I don't want to mess with the experience. It's the tv series itself that made me love Game of Thrones. The books will be a bonus for when the series ends.
    Go Jets Go

Administrator

Completely agree. As much as I want to read the books, I think I'm going to wait. I was going to start the books in the summer, but only read up to the third book and never read beyond what is being aired. Now that I've thought about it, better off just waiting. I don't want to mess with the experience. It's the tv series itself that made me love Game of Thrones. The books will be a bonus for when the series ends.
    Exactly. One of my girlfriends who I watch the show with is reading the books while also watching and luckily she's behind in the story so she doesn't have much of a chance for spoilers but it's cool because she can still inform on certain topics that require more background. For instance basically all of the characters we are rooting for are supposed to be way younger in the books so like Jon Snow and such are actually teenagers. But you teenagers don't make for as great of theatre when dealing with such topics as GoT does so they've aged them up, which is why it can characters like Snow and Daenarys can seem rather childish at times when in reality it's just because those characters are supposed to be younger.

Dobber Sports Stud

**Before anyone reads, beware that there will be talk of the episodes in this forum as soon as the episode is aired. If you haven't seen it yet, refrain from discussion!**

Now time for some episode 301 talk!

Great opening episode! They basically touched on the storylines that concluded season 2, but they didn't get to them all yet as expected. We have a great season on hand!

Some Thoughts:
    Mance Rayder seems like a cool dude, but Jon's play on the wildlings is interesting. I get the feeling he isn't really in it for the Watch. They basically fast-forwarded through the White Walkers battle, but I'm sure there are many more to come. Dany's dragons grew up pretty fast. I'm not liking the priestess that hangs around Stannis. I wonder what her long term play is. We didn't see much of Robb in that episode, but he did say how the Lannister's kept retreating in war. We didn't see any of the Arya group or the Bran group or any of Jamie. It also seemed like Joffrey has had some change of heart ever since the Tyrell girl was promised to him. He was pretty cool headed in the episode especially at the dinner table.

I liked the Tyrion/Tywin scene a lot. You can tell just how much Tywin hates his son. The last scene was awesome as well. I guess that little girl was a warlock that seemed to be hunting for Dany? And Barriston joined Dany! That's not too surprising as he was basically kicked out by Joffrey, having someone from Kings Landing join with her will be interesting.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Immortal

Im glad they spent more time on each character and even showed a few of them more than once. Much better than trying to fit an update on every character into the premiere episode like they did last season. It still felt like a recap episode....but much less than it would have had they added Arya, Brienne/Jaime and Bran to the mix.

Good start to what I expect will be the best season yet.

Dobber Sports Star

LOVED the scene with Tywin and Tyrion. Charles Dance and Peter Dinklage are both world class actors. Easily the best scene of the episode for me.

The scene where the dragon got the fish, fried it, and ate it was cool. The special effects are awesome and it's pretty a apparent that HBO is tossing fistfuls of money at this thing.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

Peter Dinklage is DA MAN! No cooler character has graced the screens in recent memory.

For me, the episode was way too short. I shouted at the tv "hell no, that can't be it."

I also felt like I shoulda watched the last episode of the last season again. I couldn't remember shit of what happened before. I was constantly asking the wife "who's that?" and "why's he so pissed?"

What I did understand, I enjoyed. I think I'll watch the last episode of the last season before next week tho.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post

I also felt like I shoulda watched the last episode of the last season again. I couldn't remember shit of what happened before. I was constantly asking the wife "who's that?" and "why's he so pissed?"

What I did understand, I enjoyed. I think I'll watch the last episode of the last season before next week tho.
    This will be better for you...and is about 40 mins shorter than an episode.

Season 2 recap in 15 minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpZnb0q24mk