Thread: Matt Duchene

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Matt Duchene

I picked him up on the cheap during the offseason (gave up a 2nd round pick for him), with the intention of packaging him with someone else (possibly Marleau) for a top LW keeper. However, I'm beginning to wonder if I would be better served by hanging on to him. He seems to have figured out what it means to be a pro, with all the talk of his offseason training program, and it's paying off in spades early on. Would you rate him among the top 5-10 young LWs in the game?

Another concern is whether or not he'll lose LW-eligibility in the future, so might have to move him for a straight up LW anyway...
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

C - Crosby*, Malkin* (C/R), Tavares*, Giroux* (C/R)
    L - Duchene* (C/L),
    Marleau* (C/L), Galchenyuk (C/L), Ott (C/L), Lee (C/L)
    R - Kane* (C/R), St. Louis, Neil, Clutterbuck
    D - Yandle*, Carlson*, Gardiner, Gudas, Daley, Bieksa, Schenn
    G - Lundqvist*, Rinne, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ace

He has a similar skill set to Pat Kane. I'm high on him.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

He hasn't lined up at LW all year, so I wouldn't count on him retaining LW eligibility. He's a true center. From what I recall, he was tried on wing last year when he was struggling with injuries to give him a jump start.
    12 Team H2H Yahoo Dynasty (19 main/20 farm)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 2F, 5D, 2G, 4B, 5 IR

C: Crosby, Duchene, Galchenyuk, Stamkos
    LW: Gusev, Huberdeau, Teravainen, M. Tkachuk
    RW: Kucherov, Rantanen, Tarasenko
    D: Carlson, Ekblad, Gudas, Hedman, Werenski, Yandle
    G: Holtby, Murray

Farm: Barre-Boulet, Bjork, Borgstrom, Chmelevski, Dahlen, Poehling, Studnicka, Tomasino, Vilardi, Zegras, Afanasyev, Dorofeyev, Puljujarvi, J. Robertson, Noel, Wahlstrom, Hollowell, Pilut, York, Demko, Husso, Rodrigue, Sandstrom, Soderstrom, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rticinelli View Post
    I picked him up on the cheap during the offseason (gave up a 2nd round pick for him), with the intention of packaging him with someone else (possibly Marleau) for a top LW keeper. However, I'm beginning to wonder if I would be better served by hanging on to him. He seems to have figured out what it means to be a pro, with all the talk of his offseason training program, and it's paying off in spades early on. Would you rate him among the top 5-10 young LWs in the game?

Another concern is whether or not he'll lose LW-eligibility in the future, so might have to move him for a straight up LW anyway...
    Duchene has been criminally undervalued recently. This kid put up 67 points his 2nd year in the league and was well on his way to becoming a star. Last season was an unmitigated disaster, he was recovering from an injury and his confidence hit an all-time low as things simply went off the rails. He's back with a vengeance this year and is proving to be a force to be reckoned with. I know he qualifies at LW in Yahoo but he's really a centre. I'm not sure how shallow a league would have to be before he wouldn't be considered a keeper. I'm predicting 75-85 point seasons for this kid in the very near future

Dobber Sports Stud

Might be worth moving him for a true LW, then. Maybe someone like Evander Kane?
    15 GM Keeper League w/Roto Scoring (G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS | W, GAA, SV%, SHO)
    Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 2 G (23-man rosters) | Protect 10 players w/a max of 1 goalie

L - Duchene* (C/L),

Dobber Sports Ace

Might be worth moving him for a true LW, then. Maybe someone like Evander Kane?

I was going to reply "Are you nuts?" until I see that you already have Crosby, Malkn and Tavares at centre. So in your unique situation, I would sell Duchene to the highest bidder.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Flex View Post
    I was going to reply "Are you nuts?" until I see that you already have Crosby, Malkn and Tavares at centre. So in your unique situation, I would sell Duchene to the highest bidder.
    Not to mention Giroux, who might also lose RW eligibility at sometime in the future (though, I'm not selling him).

Some LWers who I thought might be worthy are Parise, Hall, E. Kane or Ryan...

L - Duchene* (C/L),

Dobber Sports Ace

Not to mention Giroux, who might also lose RW eligibility at sometime in the future (though, I'm not selling him).

Some LWers who I thought might be worthy are Parise, Hall, E. Kane or Ryan...
    Sure. I think they are all fair value for Duchene.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Duchene is as physically capable of anyone in the game, top speed, very strong, quick release, good moves with the puck etc. HOWEVER his lack of a high end hockey IQ will forever stop him from being a top 5 scorer. But if he really developed that aspect, he'd literally be a once in a lifetime player, above Crosby and Malkin.

Sadly, very few players have top shelf hockey IQ and amazing physical abilities.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne