Thread: Studs & Duds - Saturday, 2/16/2013

Default Studs & Duds - Saturday, 2/16/2013

STUDS

Getting a Handle on Keith Yandle!

Making fantasy GMs across the world state "Karlsson who??", Yandle earned three assists, nine shots and a plus-2 in the 'Yotes win over the Blue Jackets. On the year Yandle has nine points on 42 shots and a healthy 24 PIMs, making him equally as valuable in both multi-cat and points-only leagues.

Johnny Be Good. Damn Good.

John Tavares pots a hatty and throws in an assist, in the Islanders win over the normally stout Devils-D. Tavares now has nine points in last five games so to say he is on a hot streak might be a bit understated. The team as whole is still somewhat inconsistent so Tavares' +/- will remain a bit unreliable for poolies in mult-cat leagues, however, his points and shots stats will always make up the difference.

Rare Sighting!

A unicorn? No. Bigfoot, perhaps? Nope. Paris Hilton's chastity ring? LMAO...oh, I kill me.

No it was the heretofore elusive Edmonton Oilers offense. Six goals on a whopping 56 shots, gave the Oilers a win over the Avalanche. Production came from all sorts of places, including Hemsky, Magnus Paajarvi and Eberle. But what really made poolies giddy w/glee was a goal potted by bergeoning stud Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Hopefully he got the monkey off his back, and his success will continue w/more reliability. We GMs need it!!

Did I Stammer?

I may be wrong, but in my limited view of the world Steven Stamkos is wrongfully overshadowed by all the Crosby/Ovie talk. It needs to be said more often, Steven Stamkos is a stud. Period.

Stammer had 2G/1A on five shots in the Lightning's come-from-behind win over the Panthers. Arguably the leagues best and purest sniper, he contributes more than just goals to poolies' bottom line. Though slightly more favored towards goals, Stamkos adds A, PPG, S and even PIM to a level worthy of multi-cat beast-dom. He's only 23 years-old, so keeper league GMs have a stud for a long time to come. Plug and play.

Over The Hiller and Through The Woods...

Viktor Fasth is now 8-0-0 on the season, with .93 SV%, a pittance of a GAA at 1.78. Here's hoping Hiller stays hobbled.

Honorable Mentions

The Toronto Maple Leafs ability to win with two goalies is more than impressive, and will serve them well as the season grows long. Certainly, bodes well for them getting into the playoffs.

The bison strip steak I had last night -twelve ounces of pepper , medium-rare goodness, right there!

Corey Perry may be in a groove, now having three points in two games. Let's hope it continues, and, yes, I ranked the strip steak over Perry's points. That's how good it was....

DUDS

Goal. Goaling. Gone.

My man crush precludes me from calling out Claude Giroux so I will instead blame the entire team. In yesterday's loss to the Canadiens, Philly managed two shots in the first period - 19 on the game. The Flyers also failed on four PP opportunities in the second period alone. League-wise the Flyers sit at 18th overall in PP%, and an abismal 24th overall in even strength goals/game. Can Hartnell's return change all this? Poolies wonder....

Senators - Karlsson - Cowen - Spezza =

...a lot of losses for Craig Anderson, unfortunately. The Senators loss to the Leafs might be more ominous than poolies are willing to admit. His periphs should remain solid, however, Anderson owners in W/L leagues proceed w/caution.

Not to Be Adored

Theodored, that is. As in Jose. The Panthers are sitting at 13 overall in the conference, and Theodore's 4-5-2 record combined with three consecutive losses is not helping the team or poolies any. At a a 3.41 GAA and .89 SV%, Theodore remains irrelevant in any league set up.

Dishonorable Mention

Can we puh-lease agree to drop the the term "Wheelhouse" from our daily conversations? I'd even be will to bring back "Boo-yeah!, in exchange - much as it pains me. Just so long as I never have to hear "That's not in my wheelhouse..." ever again.

Thanks
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Initiate

Great read Mr Bastic.

We are all so very fortunate that you have a wheelhouse full of hockey blurbs

BOO-YEAH!
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Quote Originally Posted by sixhands View Post
    Great read Mr Bastic.

We are all so very fortunate that you have a wheelhouse full of hockey blurbs

BOO-YEAH!
    lol...nice. I deserved that, I suppose.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

No mention of the Tavares\Moulson duo putting up a huge night against the best team in the east?
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    No mention of the Tavares\Moulson duo putting up a huge night against the best team in the east?
    Did you read it?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Did you read it?
    hahah wow. I did. First thing I read this morning. Maybe I should have a coffee ..... My bad sir

*rolls back in bed*
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Did you read it?
    Love it !

Keep up the great work, I enjoy the lighter spin that is the Studs & Duds column.

One day I may actually get around to writing a piece for the Black Aces
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    hahah wow. I did. First thing I read this morning. Maybe I should have a coffee ..... My bad sir

*rolls back in bed*
    Lol..no worries. Lord knows, I've been there myself.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bommer man, I love it! you're a funny guy and I'm glad you are on the studs and duds crew this year =)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Boo-yah!!! Another solid S&D column. Keep it up!
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Genius

Great job man!
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf