Thread: Paul Martin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Paul Martin

His PP time and also 1st line minutes makes him interesting

Who would you give for him on my team?
    Baseball, Head 2 Head, 16 Team League, Keep 1 (Verlander)
    C- Arencibia
    1B- Hosmer
    2B- Utley
    3B- Callaspo
    SS- Andrus
    OF- Dunn
    OF- Desmond Jennings
    OF- Beltran
    UTL- Berkman
    Bench- Domonic Brown NA- Wil Myers

SP- Wainwright
    SP- Verlander
    SP- Weaver
    RP- Chapman
    RP- Romo
    RP- Soriano
    Bench- J.Garcia, Maholm, Boggs

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd think it a worthy gamble that Martin outpoints Beauchemin from here on out (your league is points only, right?).

While Beauchemin is currently on pace to put up 24 points this season, he's only done that in 3 out of his 8 seasons in the league (26, 28, and 34 way back on 2005-2006), so I find it hard to believe that he'll get there in a shortened season. I'm not saying that Paul Martin is an offensive juggernaut either, but there's no denying the juicy opportunity he's getting with the Pens.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Initiate

Beauchemin would be my drop as well. In a league that doesn't count hits and blocks his value is vastly reduced. Martin should have a good shot at matching his output at least, and has a good chance of being better from here on out.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    there's no denying the juicy opportunity he's getting with the Pens.
    I watched the Sunday afternoon game between the PENS and SABRES and Martin rolled out with the 1st PP unit all game instead of Letang. As a Letang owner I was pissed [and I'm not sure it'll stick...not sure what Bylsma is thinking]...but promptly went and acquired Martin on the waiver wire just to be safe.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I didn't watch the game tonight, so did Martin get a lot of time on the PP, and was he worthy of the 3 assists credited to him? I am seriously considering dropping Goligoski for Martin.
    8 team keeper league (keep 5)
    Standard Yahoo scoring format: G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, S, PIM, BLK, W/L, SV, -GA, SO

Forwards:
    Malkin, Benn, Eichel, Kucherov, Draisaitl, Schwartz, Marchessault, R.Smith, Hornqvist, Voracek, Atkinson, Lee, T. Johnson

Defensemen:
    Letang, S. Jones, Krug, Sergachev, McDonagh, Dumba

Goalies:
    Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky, Rask

Farm:
    Keller, Puljujarvi

Dobber Sports Stud

Drop Beauchemin, add Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppage View Post
    I didn't watch the game tonight, so did Martin get a lot of time on the PP, and was he worthy of the 3 assists credited to him? I am seriously considering dropping Goligoski for Martin.
    Ina 8 team league, I think you could definitely let go of Golisgoski for Martin. Worse thing that happens is that Martin proves this to only be a hot streak, and you can easily replace him. If Martin continues his success then it obviously turns out to be a great move. Point I'm trying to make is that he's a very low risk play in an 8 team league, that has a very high potential reward.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Paul Martin has been the best Dman on the Pens this year. his game has vastly changed and as a Letang owner myself, i went out and acquired Martin.
    As stated above, he is on the top PP and top line and out playing Letang in terms of all around game.

he earned all those assists in the Philly game as he has stolen a page from Lidstrom's playbook and shoots the puck 3 feet wide on the PP in order to bank the puck to Crosby or Malkin for a tap in. Worked the last 2 games against the Sabres and Flyers.

He's showing poise and he's playing with confidence so Bylsma is rewarding him. He was the whipping boy last season, even benched in the playoffs, but he has really turned his game around and looks to be earning his 5M.
    I can't remember the source (one of the Pens beat writers) but apparently Shero took Martin into his office and said, " do you want to play here and buy in or do you want a trade?" Martin said he wanted to stay and prove he was better than what he showed last year. Needless to say, he's doing that in spades.

Martin off the wire, DO IT!
    12 team - 25 man NHL roster/25 man farm - Full Keeper
    League (own salary cap).
    H2H: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG / W, SV%, GAA, SHO

2013-2014 LEAGUE CHAMPION
    2014-2015 LEAGUE CHAMPION

C - Crosby, Seguin, Thornton, Backes, C.Smith, Anisimov
    LW - Kunitz, Parise, Marchand, Moulson, Beleskey
    RW - Hornqvist, Brouwer, Gallagher, K.Hayes, O'Reilly
    D - Karlsson, Burns, Byfuglien, Streit, R.Ellis
    G - Rask, Fleury, Lehtonen, C. Anderson

Farm
    F- Nyquist, Mark Stone, Pearson, Trocheck, McKegg, Rajala, N. Petersen, C. Brown
    D- Goncharov
    G- Visnetin, Thiessen, Murphy, Janus

Dobber Sports Prodigy

On that long 5-on-3 against the Flyers, it was Letang though. Letang is overwhelmingly more talented than Martin, so I wouldn't worry. It's not like Letang isn't producing or getting minutes.

Ride Martin for now, dump him when he gets cold.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Paul f'ing Martin! Another goal and assist tonight through one period -- and both at even strength. What is going on with this guy, and what planet am I on?!? Man do I love when the most boring waiver pick ups work out like gold (even if only for a few weeks).

Sorry -- just had to get that out.

W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    Drop Beauchemin, add Martin.
    Exactly what I was thinking..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Pro

I grabbed him in one league, skipped over him in another because I had Burns coming off the IR. Regretting that move.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Coincidental that the origin of this thread essentially came down to Martin vs Beauchemin. Most (myself included) chose Martin. And after singing Martin's praises again tonight, I just looked to see what was going on in the Ducks game: Beauchemin with 3 assists tonight.

Just some unlikely performances from multiple blueliners this year I suppose.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Coincidental that the origin of this thread essentially came down to Martin vs Beauchemin. Most (myself included) chose Martin. And after singing Martin's praises again tonight, I just looked to see what was going on in the Ducks game: Beauchemin with 3 assists tonight.

Just some unlikely performances from multiple blueliners this year I suppose.
    Make that 4 assists!
    "dARK wING dUCKS" 2011-2012 CHAMPS

10 Team Points Only Limited Keeper Pool (keep any 12)

Top 12 Forwards, 5 Defense & 2 Goalies Count
    Goals = 1, Assist = 1, Shutout = 3, Win = 2,

F: Kessel, Backstrom, Spezza, Benn, Voracek, Couture, Skinner, Wheeler, Stepan, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Ennis, Brown, Atkinson,
    D: Karlsson, Pieterangelo, Streit, Fowler, Enstrom, Gardiner, Sekera
    G: Price, Rinne, Smith

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just reviving this thread rather then starting a new one.

So do we have a concensus on what Paul Martin is worth? He is 2nd in d-man scoring right now which is obviously above where we expect him to finish. However so much of d-man points is situation and he appears to be in a good one.

What level of forward would you consider a good trade for him right now in a keeper league?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Just reviving this thread rather then starting a new one.

So do we have a concensus on what Paul Martin is worth? He is 2nd in d-man scoring right now which is obviously above where we expect him to finish. However so much of d-man points is situation and he appears to be in a good one.

What level of forward would you consider a good trade for him right now in a keeper league?
    I think this is a tough question. Martin has been playing lights out for sure, getting prime opportunity and exceeding expectations. But I don't think this is a re-birth for him -- just a nice opportunity to contribute offensively this season and he's capitalizing. After all, Letang still rules the roost there even if the TOI/stats don't necessarily support it recently, and the Pens also have some nice offensive-upside D-men looking to make the club full time in future seasons (Joe Morrow immediately comes to mind).

So in terms of trade value in a keeper league, I'd actually approach it from a one-year league mindset: certainly if I was trading for him and also if I was looking to deal him.

In other words, if you're contending, I'd be looking for a forward who is producing now, has the goods to continue it this year, and is currently rostered by a team with the depth to spare him but who is not necessarily keeper worthy in his own right. Not a complete listing or necessarily a fully thought out one, but I'd start by looking at teams that have Selanne, Jagr or those types. And on the flip side, if you're not contending this season, I'd take a look at teams who are in contention and have an "underperforming" or "disappointing" young asset that they might be willing to move in an attempt to get over the hump.

Sorry this is more conceptual than specific in terms of player names, but it's kind of tough to gauge without knowing the type of league, size, depth, scoring cats and types of GMs that you have out there. I do know, however, that in my league where I have Martin that the above scenarios are pretty much how a trade would be constructed if I were to put Martin on the block (i.e., nobody is really viewing this as anything other than me getting quite a nice contributing player from the waiver wire and whose value has suddenly skyrocketed as it pertains to this season, and maybe not even quite that long).

Cheers.
    Last edited by dejeanneret; February 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM.