Thread: What Can I Offer for Giroux?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default What Can I Offer for Giroux?

Guy has Giroux on the trade block. I know he was just offered Perry for Giroux straight up by another GM but he declined.

I'd love to make a push for him while he's still a "buy-low".

His team:
    C: Giroux (RW), Datsyuk (LW)
    LW: Eriksson (RW), Clowe (RW), JVR
    RW: Carter (C), Brunner (C), Parenteau
    D: Chara, Leddy, Wideman, Tyutin, Greene
    G: Crawford, Anderson, Ward

My first thought is I gotta include one of my C's (Getzlaf?). He's also mentioned wanting to get rid of Ward, so include a goalie. Would Lindback be enough of an upgrade for him? Or is it worth moving Miller? Try and sell-high on Fasth?

Also include one of my wings? But all of his players are dual-eligible so he's got a very flexible roster. Perhaps it would take a D-upgrade for him as well? I just lost Karlsson so I'm not sure if moving Letang is smart unless I get a top D back.

Any help much appreciated! Team's been slumping hard and I gotta make some moves to claw my way up into the playoffs!

Edit: May be worth noting that I'll need to clear a spot to activate Kesler before I can make any add/drops. Also he's open to moving Eriksson.
    Last edited by NJDev803; February 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    12-team H2H Yahoo League
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1UTIL, 2G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, Sv%, SO

C: Benn (LW), Marchessault (LW), Galchenyuk (RW)
    LW: Ovechkin, Marchand, Pacorietty
    RW: Rust (LW), Buchnevich, Fiala (LW), Zuccarello
    D: Josi, Theodore, Sergachev, Dahlin
    G: Mrazek, Khudobin, Sorokin
    IR: Grzylcek

Dobber Sports Stud

Tough trade to make. I guess my question is, why do you think that getting Giroux is the key to you rising in the standings? He will help you at RW, but for what you'd lose, I don't know that it's worth it. If I was him I would not see Lindback as an upgrade over Ward. Fasth, maybe. But you can't afford to lose him.

He turned down Perry, so he's no dummy. In his shoes, I would want Letang + Getzlaf for sure. And I think that might be too much for you to lose. Although I guess you could argue that it essentially gives you Giroux + Kesler for Letang + Getzlaf since you could then activate Kesler without dropping anyone. You'd have to pray that Visno gets traded somewhere great! And if you ask for a D back (other than Chara, nobody he has is going to help you a great deal), you still have to drop someone.

IMHO when you go begging, you tend to give up too much. And in this case, it doesn't sound like this is a guy you're going to get the best of, given his roster.
    C: Kopitar, Jarvis (RW), Thomas
    RW: Wilson, Bratt (LW), Zuccarello, Svechnikov (LW)
    LW: B. Tkachuk, E.Kane, Boldy (RW)
    D: Matheson, Rielly, Dahlin, Burns
    G: Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Kochetkov
    IR+

10 Team H2H, one year, G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, HIT, W, SVP, GAA, SV
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2Util, 2G

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'm in a similar position, and have offered Benn and Semin for Giroux and Eriksson. I thought that was a pretty fair offer. He is mulling it over. You may want to try something similar.

I'll let you know how mine works out
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jimc21 View Post
    Tough trade to make. I guess my question is, why do you think that getting Giroux is the key to you rising in the standings?
    I don't necessarily think it's key, but I do think I'm beginning to be at the point where I need to start taking some calculated risks and hope they pay off. I suppose the reason I'd like to try to land him now is that I know his owner is frustrated by him (he's brought it up in conversation; also sought advice from me on the Giroux/Perry deal and I'd be lying if I said I didn't try to discourage it for my own sake).

I also think that once Hartnell returns in a week or two that will give him the boost to end his scoring woes, so basically I don't think the asking price will be lower at any other point this season.

At the same time, I agree that looking at his squad it's a tough sell for me to make, and that's why I sought some advice from the pros here.

Ultimately I think for my team to start making strides up the standings (been in 9th for 3 weeks), I'll likely need to land a top-level winger to put up some points for me (I am near the bottom of every scoring cat, except SOG which most credit went to Karlsson for), and to also improve my G situation (getting some W's now but the peripherals are bottom-of-the-barrel).

Quote Originally Posted by Bighabfan View Post
    I'm in a similar position, and have offered Benn and Semin for Giroux and Eriksson. I thought that was a pretty fair offer. He is mulling it over. You may want to try something similar.

I'll let you know how mine works out
    Please let me know how that offer goes for you. I really hate the idea of trading Benn as he is the wheel that makes Dallas' bus go round. And I also think Semin is going to go on a run (his Shooting% is WAY low for him).

If trying to get Giroux is too much of an investment, is it worth pursuing Eriksson alone?

Are there some other players out there that I should try and land now before they turn it up? (I'm thinking Iginla, Kessel (which may be too late), Weber, Skinner, Seguin, etc)

Thanks guys. Being this low in the standings is new to me. I've always finished top-3 in my 5 years of playing, and I'll always credit that to my solid Goalie draft selections (and of course a little luck). This year I wasn't so fortunate in that department.
    12-team H2H Yahoo League
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1UTIL, 2G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, Sv%, SO

C: Benn (LW), Marchessault (LW), Galchenyuk (RW)
    LW: Ovechkin, Marchand, Pacorietty
    RW: Rust (LW), Buchnevich, Fiala (LW), Zuccarello
    D: Josi, Theodore, Sergachev, Dahlin
    G: Mrazek, Khudobin, Sorokin
    IR: Grzylcek