Thread: What's up with MaxPac?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default What's up with MaxPac?

His TOI has been dangerously low for a player of his "caliber". What's going on? Does MT not like him? And please no tetanus shot jokes I'm serious.

On a keeper level I'm not worried. But I just dealt Roy for him in my one year and I am wondering if maybe that was a bad move/if I should try to package patches now as he still has value.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    His TOI has been dangerously low for a player of his "caliber". What's going on? Does MT not like him? And please no tetanus shot jokes I'm serious.

On a keeper level I'm not worried. But I just dealt Roy for him in my one year and I am wondering if maybe that was a bad move/if I should try to package patches now as he still has value.
    There were a lot of factors last year that pointed to him having a down year this year.

1) He was helped by a hot teammate. Cole had a career year. Less goals for Cole means less points for Max. Less points means less time on the ice.

2) Every thing had to go right for him last year. Gomez sucking, Gionta getting injured, Pleks having an off year, Cole having a career year, the team being really bad in the standings, etc. This led to more TOI and more PP time. To expect all that to replicate again was a bit too much. Gionta is back and getting more ice time and PP time. The rookies are getting some ice time. etc etc. That cuts into Max's ice time.

3) Max isn't the greatest defensively. With close leads, Max isn't on the ice as much as he would be when they are losing. Last year, they were losing a lot, so his ice time was up. This year, it's the opposite. For example, in the game against Tampa earlier this week, the Habs had a 3-0 lead. Max's last shift of the third period was done with six and a half minutes left. He didn't see the ice again until OT, when they were looking to win (he had only five shifts in the in third period against Tampa total).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Pro

I wouldn't be too concerned about Max Pac.
    Honestly I watch almost every habs game and the biggest factor has to be the subpar play of Desharnais. Pactches has had a lot of different line mates so far and also missed some time with injury. lately they've been trying him on a line with Galchenyuk which could be good once they develop some chemistry. Last year he was a top 10 SOG guy and has a deadly release. I'd say stand pat and once he starts firing the puck again you'll see his point totals come to where they should be. There's really no way they should be playing him less than 18min a game though.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    There were a lot of factors last year that pointed to him having a down year this year.

1) He was helped by a hot teammate. Cole had a career year. Less goals for Cole means less points for Max. Less points means less time on the ice.

2) Every thing had to go right for him last year. Gomez sucking, Gionta getting injured, Pleks having an off year, Cole having a career year, the team being really bad in the standings, etc. This led to more TOI and more PP time. To expect all that to replicate again was a bit too much. Gionta is back and getting more ice time and PP time. The rookies are getting some ice time. etc etc. That cuts into Max's ice time.

3) Max isn't the greatest defensively. With close leads, Max isn't on the ice as much as he would be when they are losing. Last year, they were losing a lot, so his ice time was up. This year, it's the opposite. For example, in the game against Tampa earlier this week, the Habs had a 3-0 lead. Max's last shift of the third period was done with six and a half minutes left. He didn't see the ice again until OT, when they were looking to win (he had only five shifts in the in third period against Tampa total).
    ^Agree.
    I speculated on these very things during the off-season.

Just because a player hits 65pts doesn't make it his new "bar".
    People make this mistake all the time in fantasy hockey (see Boyes, Brad), expecting somebody to repeat their production because they did it once while they were young.

MaxPac overperformed last year.
    He's a 50-60pt player.

This is a link to a thread in forward discussion.
    My post there has a link to a few more threads I've written about MaxPac - one of a few guys that I think most of the Dobber Community got way, way, way too high on.
    (Consensus advising him over Datsyuk & Krejci... pssh. How's that working out for those teams?)

Administrator

It's only been a few games. Give it time.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

...And please no tetanus shot jokes I'm serious.
    Well, crap. So much for my contribution.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^Agree.
    I speculated on these very things during the off-season.

Just because a player hits 65pts doesn't make it his new "bar".
    People make this mistake all the time in fantasy hockey (see Boyes, Brad), expecting somebody to repeat their production because they did it once while they were young.

MaxPac overperformed last year.
    He's a 50-60pt player.

This is a link to a thread in forward discussion.
    My post there has a link to a few more threads I've written about MaxPac - one of a few guys that I think most of the Dobber Community got way, way, way too high on.
    (Consensus advising him over Datsyuk & Krejci... pssh. How's that working out for those teams?)
    Yeah, I did the same. I thought last year was the best he is ever going to do. Which is still good, mind you. But in a thread last year about his ceiling, I thought a lot of people were a little crazy for thinking he could be an 80-point guy. I didn't see it then, and still don't see it.

Glad to see at least one person agrees with me on this. I thought I was the only one for a while.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

And please no tetanus shot jokes I'm serious.
    Technically I don't think you can get tetanus from a bite...

That said, Patches was perhaps over achieving last year... the ice time would worry me more if it was just him, but Cole, Desharnais and Eller are all down a couple of minutes per game or so this year too.

Maybe Therrien is just trying to spread out ice time in the compressed schedule?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    But in a thread last year about his ceiling, I thought a lot of people were a little crazy for thinking he could be an 80-point guy.
    I think 80pts is crazy too.
    When we talk "ceiling", I start reverting to junior play because the NHLers today that hit 80+pts either:
    i) Dominated in their junior leagues, or
    ii) Have amazing linemates to help their scoring

Patches has neither of these things going for him.
    I think he should be pegged between 55-65pts.
    I called him a 60pt player for this year, and that may be high.

Dobber Sports Icon

Bondon don't waste your time listening to the above posters you need real answers. Be patient and wait for the guru:

tequilamonster

Dobber Sports Icon

I'm very high on Pacioretty, as you can see from the post that Pengwin mentioned (reproduced here: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...04#post1087504).

My feeling is he'll consistenly notch 65-75 points with 30+ goals, and I'm pretty comfortable in that assessment.

And I wouldn't worry about his icetime, it's a temporary thing, Max Pacioretty will be a vital cog on this team for at least the remainder of this 6-year contract, I'd put him right up there with Price, Subban and now Galchenyuk in that regard (although there are lots of questions about Subban).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Stud

Good read, good insights.

I am one of those who was sold on Pacioretty's talent from last season. Pretty much took him on higher draft rds on every pool I joined. I do see a change in his play this year compared to last years..mainly for the reasons stated by our fellow dobberites. But if he does settle out to be a 30/30 ppg guy (instead of my initial thoughts of 40/40 ppg) w/ 200+ SOGs..id still be content with that and still be a fan of his game. Im humbled and good job re-assessing/evaluating MaxPac's game.

p.s. With that said, i hope he tears it up for the sake of my h2h leagues!
    Fantasy Hockey Keeper Leagues
    {Linden Cup Year 9: 16 GM Points only - Hockeydraft} "Back 2 Back Champions!"
    {TBIM Year 3: 18 GM H2H - Fantrax}
    {NFHA II Inaugural Year 1: 20 GM Roto Salary cap- Fantrax}
    {ZFHL Year 1: 30 GM Roto Salary cap - Fantrax}
    {NHDL Year 1: 16 GM H2H - Fantrax}

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Bondon don't waste your time listening to the above posters you need real answers. Be patient and wait for the guru:

tequilamonster
    You forgot about the iron sheik as well. Big Ev called for the Camel clutch and the sheik gave it. One of the funniest threads I have seen in a long time!!

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...=146042&page=3

Dobber Sports Ninja

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect him to go up up and away or anything like that. I was hoping though that I could rely on him to be a consistent performer in my league though. He has been solid with his peripheral stats, can always rely on him to shoot the puck. But obviously having just acquired him I was more than concerned with the fact that his ice time is seemingly 'down' over the past few games.

This could have been my own fault for not posting it in the one-year forum but I thought it would get more looks and more discussion here...and it is more of a general question. But I'm mainly concerned with the one-year perspective. I can't afford to sit on him like in a keeper league. Right now he still has value but if he has a few more games with 0 points and minus numbers then the window to package him in a deal is going to close fast