Thread: Best Goalie Prospect Out there

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Best Goalie Prospect Out there

Just thought Id throw this out there for fun.

Id added Bernier and Holtby cause they are still fresh.

And this really really relates to those who are close to the NHL.

BRADEN HOLTBY
    JACOB MARKSTROM
    ROBIN LEHNER
    EDDIE LACK
    JON BERNIER
    OTHER

Dont know what happened wanted to make a Poll
    Last edited by sparrowtrini; February 13, 2013 at 10:54 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Long term:

1) Lehner
    2) Markstrom

I don't think the others are even close (even Holtby).

I'm biased though... heavily. I think Lehner will be the next Patrick Roy. They have similar personalities.
    Last edited by ShawneePanthers; February 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think Lehner and Campbell are the best out there right now. Holtby is very good too, but Washington can't defend or play a two-way game effectively whatsoever at this point. Meaning they're making Holtby look awful, same goes for Neuvirth.

There is a ridiculous amount of hype around Markstrom, I'm not convinced he's as good as everyone says he is.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I think Lehner and Campbell are the best out there right now. Holtby is very good too, but Washington can't defend or play a two-way game effectively whatsoever at this point. Meaning they're making Holtby look awful, same goes for Neuvirth.

There is a ridiculous amount of hype around Markstrom, I'm not convinced he's as good as everyone says he is.

I'm feeling you on Markstrom being over-hyped. I actually like Lehner more.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Agreed. I think if Markstrom were as good as he's been hyped to be then he'd be in the league right now.

Lehner is at the top for me as well; not only because of the skill but also because of the situation in Ottawa. Young, growing team with a ton of talent on it's way, plus the fact that he will be competing with Anderson, who has been great...but it's not like he has the pedigree or the salary to hold down a hot up and comer.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Markstrom will be the next Pekka Rinne. At a towering 6'6", Markstrom is one of the new breed of big goaltenders. They hype comes from being the best in your age group all through your teenage years. He's learning the pro game and in a few years, we will be able to reassess and see how it all pans out.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Markstrom will be the next Pekka Rinne. At a towering 6'6", Markstrom is one of the new breed of big goaltenders. They hype comes from being the best in your age group all through your teenage years. He's learning the pro game and in a few years, we will be able to reassess and see how it all pans out.
    I understand, Comish. I really do. I just like Lehner more. I like where he's at - his mental makeup as well as the talent that will be infront of him. No slap rto Markstrom or the talent that will surround him.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Administrator

Not saying he's the best but I do think he's better than some of the overhyped bums on this list - Matt Hackett.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Not saying he's the best but I do think he's better than some of the overhyped bums on this list - Matt Hackett.
    I was with you on Hackett...until buddy who's name I can't even spell seemed to leapfrog him the other day in a crisis. If Hackett has any shot...given his exposure last year...he should have been #1 on the call up list behind the China Doll and poor Harding with MS. Couldn't do it... Hence not convinced.

Lehner and Markstrom for me. Can't see why anyone feels Lehner is further ahead in his development than Mark...games played at the big is nearly equal isn't it? And most of Marks time missed was due to injury

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I was with you on Hackett...until buddy who's name I can't even spell seemed to leapfrog him the other day in a crisis. If Hackett has any shot...given his exposure last year...he should have been #1 on the call up list behind the China Doll and poor Harding with MS. Couldn't do it... Hence not convinced.

Lehner and Markstrom for me. Can't see why anyone feels Lehner is further ahead in his development than Mark...games played at the big is nearly equal isn't it? And most of Marks time missed was due to injury
    According to Chuck Fletcher it's really simple, Kuemper was too hot not to call him up. He said something along the lines of Kuemper being the best goalie in the AHL over the last month so they had to give him the call. Hackett was the guy last year and he has been the number one over Kuemper for the past couple years down in Houston. Seems to me a simple case of riding the hot hand and not necessarily a case of one goalie surpassing the other.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

I actually think Kuemper is making a big push in the Wild organization. He's not some bum that happened to go on a hot streak....he's a legit goalie prospect himself who's taken advantage of Hackett hitting a rough patch. Check Kuemper's numbers in Houston last season....they're pretty damn good.

To answer the OP question.....this is still Lehner and Markstrom, and then everyone else. I don't consider Holtby or Bernier prospects (Bernier especially, he's been in the NHL like 4 years now). Campbell, Lack, Hackett, Kuemper, Nilsson and Poulin, Vasilevskiy, Subban....there's a pretty good crop of young goalies around the league right now.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    To answer the OP question.....this is still Lehner and Markstrom, and then everyone else. I don't consider Holtby or Bernier prospects (Bernier especially, he's been in the NHL like 4 years now). Campbell, Lack, Hackett, Kuemper, Nilsson and Poulin, Vasilevskiy, Subban....there's a pretty good crop of young goalies around the league right now.
    I agree with FTD here. I like Lehner more then Markstrom. I would also add John Gibsons name to that list. To quote Justin Goldman in a private chat I had around Gibson : "He has long-term workhorse starter upside. He's going to be a stud."

Gibson will be like Vasilevsky and Subban, he's still a few years away but I like him going forward.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm on the Markstrom side hype as side the kid has 'IT' the shit Florida has put in front of him the past few years has been pretty back and is a detriment to his #s... Remeber how good Luongo was when he started in Florida and how bad the GAA was yet the SV % was solid...

Next I would say is Robin Lehner, he is playing out of this world right now and I see him being really good since I seen him in the WJC while still in Sweden...

Why are people ignoring Bernier when he has been mentioned? Because he is already backing up in the NHL lol... Special kid just needs a Starting role...

Why was Jack Campbell mentioned? and by 2 people!? He played on 2 LOADED world junior teams (kinda like Justin Pogge played on one) and then he crapped the bed in JR majorly on Windsor who was a team that was elite, yet he played terrible for them... Windsor won/competed in annual Memorial Cups despite terrible goalies (Grubauer, Passingham, Engleage, and Campbell) yet Campbell played the worst of all 4... and he has not played strong at the AHL despite being on the #1 team in the AHL... This my freinds is an extreamly over hyped goalie... Justin Pogge 2.0

Kuemper has a higher ceiling than Hackett in my opinion... but Hackett is the safe workhorse goalie... I feel year to year Kuemper will be high and low... but Hackett will be a steadier goalie when he does finally get his oppertunity... he is NHL capable right now and should be there in a backup role...

Vasilevski - I'm on bored with his mentioning... I feel of the Jr goalies he is the best and he isnt even playing Jr...

Subban - has good outlook and will play in a stud franchise, but I feel in pro he will take a major dip and then recover....

Gibson - very solid outlook, I've also talked with Justin and can Echo what an earlier reader said, I am a little worried cause Ive seen several times he lets in questionable goals and doesnt look interested at some points of games... mind you Brodeur looks bad on some goals and doesnt offer at them much...

Holtby - my head is in my hands on this one... if you put your fantasy team on his shoulders I wanna play in your league with you... I also want to be a team in Washington's Divison... Solid at the AHL level behind a vet laden team and solid D... but there are several holes in his game, and to this point NHL shooters are finding every one so far and creating more lol...

Why hasn't anyone said Petr Mrazek yet?....

Martin Jones is a good one...

Harri Sateri, Mark Visentin, Mike Lee, Larent Broissoit...

and Jake Allen still has all the talent in the world, he just needs to put it back togather and he could be similer to Carey Price...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Banks View Post
    Why are people ignoring Bernier when he has been mentioned? Because he is already backing up in the NHL lol... Special kid just needs a Starting role...
    Not that I don't think Bernier will be a good goalie and has starter upside....he will and he does. But I don't consider him a prospect anymore. Yes he's just been a backup, but he's been in the NHL full-time for 3 years now. Only started 43 games in those 3 years, but still been a full member of the Kings. Still a good young goalie, but I don't include him on prospect lists.

Why was Jack Campbell mentioned? and by 2 people!? He played on 2 LOADED world junior teams (kinda like Justin Pogge played on one) and then he crapped the bed in JR majorly on Windsor who was a team that was elite, yet he played terrible for them... Windsor won/competed in annual Memorial Cups despite terrible goalies (Grubauer, Passingham, Engleage, and Campbell) yet Campbell played the worst of all 4... and he has not played strong at the AHL despite being on the #1 team in the AHL... This my freinds is an extreamly over hyped goalie... Justin Pogge 2.0
    Definitely agree that Campbell is in danger of flopping, but I give him the benefit of the doubt for now. With him it's not about the stats, it's the tools. No one can deny his physical talents are elite-level. If his game comes together he can be a star, if it doesn't come together well then he'll bust obviously.

Gibson - very solid outlook, I've also talked with Justin and can Echo what an earlier reader said, I am a little worried cause Ive seen several times he lets in questionable goals and doesnt look interested at some points of games... mind you Brodeur looks bad on some goals and doesnt offer at them much...
    Forgot to add him to my list, which is odd because I think he's fighting his way into the top 5 prospects list. Phenomenal talent all around.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned is Frederik Andersen. Very under the radar which is too bad because he's a top 10 goal prospect imo. Great size, good athleticism, technique isn't perfect but his physical tools allow him to play a good blocking style. Personally I feel if anyone can stop Gibson from ascending to the "throne" in Anaheim it's Andersen.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Another one that hasn't been mentioned is Frederik Andersen. Very under the radar which is too bad because he's a top 10 goal prospect imo. Great size, good athleticism, technique isn't perfect but his physical tools allow him to play a good blocking style. Personally I feel if anyone can stop Gibson from ascending to the "throne" in Anaheim it's Andersen.
    Lets not forget Igor Bobkov there Tony, he is struggleing starting pro, but he is a whole bunch of good Russian goalie... Anahiem is doing an excellent job of aquireing and developing assets... I echo the like for Andersen... Really its a craps shoot who wins jobs there...

There are some teams you just need to watch thier development system for goalies... Anaheim has been a good one that few mention over the years....
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck