Thread: Karri Ramo

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Karri Ramo

This guy's stats in the KHL have been awesome.

So the natural two questions I have for people following him and/or the KHL is:

1) Will KHL success translate into NHL success? His stats have been terrible in the league as well as the AHL.
    2) Will he head over next season?
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have no idea about either of those questions. But his lack of success in the NHL can be explained by the fact that he was only 21 and 22 years old in the two brief NHL stints of his career, and only had one season in the AHL before making the leap to the big show. He had a couple go-arounds in the Finnish league as a teenager but that hardly would make him ready for the NHL at such a young age. If he were to make the jump I'd be pretty excited, without knowing much about how the stats translate.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm going to bump this thread. Anyone think he'll be a legitimate NHL fantasy goalie?
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Star

I think Calgary sees him as the successor to Kipper, yeah. They've been publicizing his progress on flames.nhl.com all throughout the year, which is really weird unless they know he's coming over next year and want the fans to know who he is.

Add to that the apparent bombshell dropped by Mike Keenan on the radio that apparently Kipper is done in the NHL after this season (!?!!) and the poor performance of Irving this year, I think the door is wide open for Ramo and that the Flames expect him to be the guy.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Add to that the apparent bombshell dropped by Mike Keenan on the radio that apparently Kipper is done in the NHL after this season (!?!!) and the poor performance of Irving this year, I think the door is wide open for Ramo and that the Flames expect him to be the guy.
    That isn't really a new bombshell. I remember Pierre LeBrun reporting it years ago already. Couldn't find the original story but found this from last fall:

My colleague Craig Custance at ESPN The Magazine wrote about this very subject back in August. The first back-diving deal is generally believed to be when Miikka Kiprusoff and agent Larry Kelly cleverly found a loophole in the system and signed a six-year, $35 million extension in October 2007, a deal that pays him $1.5 million for the 2013-14 season. Hey, who knows, maybe Kipper will play that season, but the widely held belief from the get-go was that Kiprusoff would retire before the last season, his contract would no longer count on the books for the Flames because he was under 35 when he signed it, and adding that extra season was only to bring the cap hit down to $5.83 million. He made $8.5 million in 2008-09, $7 million a year the next two seasons, $6 million last season and is due to make $5 million this season, if there’s a season. The average of the first five years of his deal is $6.7 million. That $5.83 million cap hit sure looks good.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ut-back-diving
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm not sold on Ramo. He's been bounced around already and hasn't been able to stick. If he was truly a "successor" teams would be coveting him and wanting him in their respective systems. Now maybe CGY is really high on him but even if Kipper leaves for Finland next year I would be shocked if CGY management didn't address their need for a G via trade of UFA. They simply wouldn't give Ramo the reigns that soon as he has limited experience.
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kenzle1r View Post
    I'm not sold on Ramo. He's been bounced around already and hasn't been able to stick. If he was truly a "successor" teams would be coveting him and wanting him in their respective systems. Now maybe CGY is really high on him but even if Kipper leaves for Finland next year I would be shocked if CGY management didn't address their need for a G via trade of UFA. They simply wouldn't give Ramo the reigns that soon as he has limited experience.
    Montreal traded for Ramo's rights. Calgary traded for Ramo's rights. Isn't that coveting and wanting him in their respective systems?
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Veteran

They could give Kipper a one year extension for big bucks so he sticks around for that.

If Kipper packs it up I think they'll bring in a goalie to compete with Ramo, but I doubt it will be a bonafide starter or anything.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Montreal traded for Ramo's rights. Calgary traded for Ramo's rights. Isn't that coveting and wanting him in their respective systems?
    Traded for his rights only to be shipped away (in MTL's case). Also TB moving him when they have garbage for tending is scary in itself. I'm not going to pretend I have a clue if he's actually good or not at the NHL level but whenever teams are willing to part with young prospects like this (i.e. getting bouced around) I get concerned is all.
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Dobber Sports Padawan

If they move Iggy at the deadline as is being suggested I believe a young "elite" prospect G will be included such as Subban from BOS or Bernier from LA.

Administrator

For those who are banking on Ramo being "the guy" just be careful not to set expectations too high. The potential is there and chances are he makes his mark over time but there could be rough beginnings like there are for most goalies.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust