Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drop Doughty or Weber?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Drop Doughty or Weber?

So my D-line is Chara, Yandle, Doughty, Weber - feels pretty damn fantastic on paper, right?

I've lost 3 straight weeks by one category, and lost defensive categories every week - they're killing me right now.

It's only a 8-team league so there are solid D-men available - but the thought of dropping Doughty or Weber for someone like Voynov makes me cringe. Should I just bite the bullet here? If so, which one should go? Doughty's producing (very) slightly more, but on the other hand his +/- is just terrible, and I'm weak in that area too....

Dobber Sports Veteran

Even in an 8 team keeper league, I can't imagine a scenario where either Doughty or Weber should be dropped outright short of one of them losing a limb or some such thing. Both of those guys are foundational D-men in any keeper league.

Granted, I'm slightly perturbed by Doughty's slow start (have him on my roster), and relatively concerned about the prolonged funk that Weber is in absent Suter. But there is still no way I would ever drop either one for a guy like Voynov (whom, mind you, I also like quite a bit). If you're desperate to give one of them away, I'm sure someone will give you some compensation (even if just a decent draft pick). Still, I'd hold your horses on this one.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yeah I agree with above. It sucks when some of your guys who you next expect to never slump are in them, especially at the same time, but I would stand pat. You will be kicking yourself later if you drop them when they turn it around.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, W. Johnston, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Binnington

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Give me a break. You are 2.5 weeks into a KEEPER league, are you are talking about dropping two stud defenceman. Talk about short-sighted knee-jerk reactions.....can I join your league?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm not a big Doughty fan as I think LA and his mammoth contract has got him doing whores and blow every night. But I wouldn't drop him or Weber. Trade them, you'll get something more for them than dropping them for nothing.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Seems like it's a common problem when it comes to getting rid of that -8 for an FA who is +8.. Doughty is crushing me and would love to get rid of him too but like dejeanneret said, we cant.

I'm in a keep 4, Doughty will definitely not be one of my 4. What do you think we could get for this guy if we were looking to trade him?
    10 team - Keep 4 - H2H Scoring:
    C(3)LW(2)RW(2)D(4)
    G,A,PIM,P,+/-,PPP,Wins,GAA,SV%,SO

C - Thornton, Giroux(RW), Datsyuk(LW), Granlund
    LW - Pacioretti, Vermette(C), Dubinsky(C)
    RW - Voracek,Wheeler, Nyquist(C),
    D - D Boyle , Burns, Zidlicky, Gudas
    G - Niemi, Khudobin, Stalock

IR- Rinne, Harding

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ladies,

It's a simplified keeper league, and next year it's keep-2. I've got Crosby and Lundvquist; neither Doughty nor Weber are likely to be keepers unless something drastic happens to their production. (Hell, they probably wouldn't be keepers if I had to keep 4, either.)

As for trade offers: I've already asked around and made some offers, and there have been no bites, yet. I haven't even been able to get someone like Wideman; is that any better than an available FA at this point? There is only one bench player; if someone wants either of these players, they will have to drop an existing player which is almost certainly far more productive than either of Doughty/Weber at this point.

As for "2.5 weeks in" - we're almost 4 weeks in, and perhaps you're forgetting it's a short season? We're over 25% done the year at this point - these losses could very well mean I miss the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Give me a break. You are 2.5 weeks into a KEEPER league, are you are talking about dropping two stud defenceman. Talk about short-sighted knee-jerk reactions.....can I join your league?
    I feel you might certainly benefit from joining a more difficult league.

I can guarantee you that you wouldn't be able to put together Malkin, Ovechkin, Giroux, Eric Staal, Crosby, and Lundqvist on any league I've ever played in, that's for sure.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by shortcuttomoncton View Post
    Ladies,

It's a simplified keeper league, and next year it's keep-2. I've got Crosby and Lundvquist; neither Doughty nor Weber are likely to be keepers unless something drastic happens to their production. (Hell, they probably wouldn't be keepers if I had to keep 4, either.)
    Not sure how we're supposed to know that your league is a keep 2, keep 4, complete dynasty or whatever if you don't say it as part of the equation in your question or have it in a signature block. Just sayin'....
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Prodigy

You're right - that's why I added that information, when I saw that most responses were automatically assuming that those players would be keepers. The reason I was looking to drop one of them was because they are not keepers.
    Last edited by shortcuttomoncton; February 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM.

Dobber Sports Novice

i have the exact same dilemma with doughty and suter. can't really drop either but can't really live with both either. i think the best course of action is to stay patient. i know that's what im doing with doughty. ill give it maybe 20 games in before i start making drastic decisions.

sidenote: i love i mother earth, and shortcut to moncton was one of the first songs that got me hooked onto them.
    10 team, H2H Keeper (keep 3)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG
    W, L, GAA, S/O

Forwards: Ovechkin, Tavares, Zetterberg, RNH, Iginla, Kopitar, E.Kane, B.Ryan, Marchand

Defenders: Suter, Doughty

Goalies: Rinne, Luongo

Dobber Sports Padawan

I still wouldn't drop them unless you see a name on that FA list that is steadily producing points already this year and has a track record of consistency.
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, W. Johnston, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Binnington

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hah. Yeah, it's a pretty good tune.

I guess I'll hold off for now, and just hope I don't dig myself into too deep of a hole. Right now I'm 7th and already well behind the leaders in W/L column, despite having very competitive stats overall. Great forward and solid goalie rotation, but my defence is the worst in the league by a large margin.

I know dropping Doughty or Weber really seems criminal, but at the end of the day if neither are keepers, they're no more than regular FAs with the potential to pick up the pace.....

Dobber Sports Novice

Nothing like belittling people to get feedback on a question you ask.

Who would you be picking up if you dropped one of them?

If I had to pick one to drop it would be DD.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by YKPV PWR SLD View Post
    Nothing like belittling people to get feedback on a question you ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    In all fairness, Shiva came in....blasting. (Not to mention, failing to even read my post - I was asking about dropping one of them, not both.) I'm not sure there was much call for that, do you?

Who would you be picking up if you dropped one of them?

If I had to pick one to drop it would be DD.
    Yeah, Weber has slowly started to show some production, and I've been winning my D categories this week so I didn't feel the need to make any changes yet. Doughty has been stone cold for all of 2 or 3 games this entire season. Available options are:

Gonchar, Martin, Visnovsky, Voynov, Staal, Girardi, Faulk, Hamhuis, Tyutin, Franson, Salo, Beauchemin, JM Liles, Seidenberg......in other words, a lot of fairly solid 4th defencemen who might very well go cold for the rest of the season, with a couple very interesting options with upside. No one approaching the pedigree of Doughty, but.....none of them are -9 with points in only 3 games out of 12, either.