Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NHL Trades that should happen

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default NHL Trades that should happen

Hi folks - indulge me for a second here .... as I would like to have some hypothetical fun taking a look at a potential trade that I think would work in real life and benefit both teams. Here is a deal that I think makes a lot of sense for the Philadelphia Flyers and the Phoenix Coyotes:

To Philly: D Keith Yandle, F Steve Sullivan

To Phoenix: F Sean Couturier, Scott Laughton

As the TSN post game analysis pointed out after Philly's last game, the Flyers forwards are being hampered by the defence's inability to break out of the defensive zone. In short, the Flyers are desperately missing the blue-line skill-set that Keith Yandle has in abundance.

Phoenix, on the other hand, is in a rebuild mode, and with OEL having already supplanted Yandle as the go-to guy on the Phoenix back-end, the Coyotes are in dire need of young talented forwards to complement a stocked blue-line (even without Yandle, the Yotes can trot out OEL, Gormley, Rundblad, Klesla, Michalek and Morris). The Flyers on the other hand, can afford to part with the talented Couturier and the promising Laughton, as their top 6 would remain strong, with Sullivan holding the fort until Hartnell returns.

Thoughts? Agree/disagree? Philly has never been afraid to make a bold move to bring in talent, while Phoenix can get great value in the form of skilled youth at an area of obvious need with this deal.

Hopefully the Dobber community can throw out a few more "trades that should happen".
    H2H weekly matchup limited 24 team KEEPER Salary Cap league, goals, assists, wins, SO
    Start 3 LW, 3 C, 3 RW, 6 D, 1 G
    Protect 11 players from 23 man roster each year (projected keepers in bold)

LW N Ehlers, B Tkachuk,LW G Denisenko
    C R Fabbri, F Chytil, J Thornton
    RW T Meier, O Bjorkstrand, F Zadina,
    D C Makar, R Dahlin, Z Werenski, A Fox, J Mahura, Evan Bouchard
    G I Samsonov,

Banned

Perry, Weiss, O'Reilly, whoever **** to Ottawa. Team needs a real forward BAD

Administrator

I'm not sure Philly has the cap room to pull off such a deal and frankly I'm not sure the Coyotes can give up so much salary without hitting the cap bottom.

Not to mention the fact that Philly doesn't necessarily have the depth at forward to give up an asset like Couturier AND Laughton.

Maybe there's something there if the Yotes agree to eat some salary but I still don't see the Flyers moving Couturier.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

subban/yakupov

Dobber Sports Initiate

The Flyers aren't trading Couturier. If that was an option they probably would have traded him in a package for Weber and skipped the offer sheet.

The Flyers have less than $1M in cap space right now, so any trade that happens has to be at the very most cap neutral, but more than likely they're going to be looking to dump salary, which is another reason you won't see Couturier traded. You're just not going to get comparable production for that type of a cap hit.

If we're dreaming, and we're looking at a Yandle to Philly scenario, I think the guy that goes back tp Phoenix is Danny Briere, assuming he'd waive his NMC. He has a cap hit of $6.5M for the next three seasons, which will keep Phoenix above the floor, and assuming it's a deadline move the Coyotes will only have to pay around $8.5M in salary. I could see Laughton also going their way, but Briere's the guy that would make this work financially.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Habs aren't trading Subban. It's not a possibility anymore.

As for Yakupov, I'm sure Edmonton is already too attached to trade him at this point in his career. The only window was before the season.
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Banned

A perfect example of why you should take everything those clowns on TSN say with a healthy dose of salt...the defense isn't the problem in Philly this year, it is largely unchanged from last year and they certainly didn't have any trouble 'breaking out of the zone' last year.

No, the problem is that they have lost too many key cogs to injuries so far..Hartnell hurts the most, he's easily the most underrated guy on their roster, its a gaping hole left behind with him out and one they have no one to fill it with. Add in the injuries to Simmonds, Meszaros, etc and the fact that Giroux is not able to carry the team on his own and its been tough going for them.

Certainly Yandle would help them but they aren't gonna send Couturier over for him and because of their poor cap management they don't have the cash to sign him outright.

I said it when it happened and I'll reiterate it again, the Flyers ****ed themselves royally with that whole Richards fiasco, they had a cup contender and they dealt the key pieces away because of ego and poor decisions and as a result the Kings took home the cup. The Flyers took 2-3 big steps backwards last year, they will need to compensate for that and fix some of their cap issues if they want to return to contender status cause right now its just another team in disarray

Dobber Sports Icon

I think Yandle would be a great fit for Detroit.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think Toronto should trade thier team to Saskatoon.
    Roto keep 8+1G

Start - 3RW/3LW/3C/4D/2G/1Utl

G,A,+|-,PIM,GWG,PPP,W,GAA,SV%,SO

League 1 (11 Teams) 10th yr

2017/2018 Roster

LW-Panarin/Galchenyuk/Roussel/Drouin
    C-Malkin/Zinanejad/Couturier/Brassard
    RW-Bratt/Oshie/Simmonds/Sheary
    D-Karlsson/Butcher/Fowler/Green
    G-Rask/Howard/Varlamov/Bernier
    (P)-Virtanen/O'Connor/Saros/Glass/White/Vesey

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    A perfect example of why you should take everything those clowns on TSN say with a healthy dose of salt...the defense isn't the problem in Philly this year, it is largely unchanged from last year and they certainly didn't have any trouble 'breaking out of the zone' last year.

No, the problem is that they have lost too many key cogs to injuries so far..Hartnell hurts the most, he's easily the most underrated guy on their roster, its a gaping hole left behind with him out and one they have no one to fill it with. Add in the injuries to Simmonds, Meszaros, etc and the fact that Giroux is not able to carry the team on his own and its been tough going for them.

Certainly Yandle would help them but they aren't gonna send Couturier over for him and because of their poor cap management they don't have the cash to sign him outright.

I said it when it happened and I'll reiterate it again, the Flyers ****ed themselves royally with that whole Richards fiasco, they had a cup contender and they dealt the key pieces away because of ego and poor decisions and as a result the Kings took home the cup. The Flyers took 2-3 big steps backwards last year, they will need to compensate for that and fix some of their cap issues if they want to return to contender status cause right now its just another team in disarray

Agree with all your points except id argue the d has been awful. No first pass at all and look like they're skating in mind in their own end. They've been a disaster all around. Except Bryz, oddly enough.
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

The Great One

Beau Bennett
    Olli Maatta
    Eric Tangradi

for the pending UFA Iginla and a conditional 2nd. If he re-signs in Pitts, Calgary gets their 2nd back.

We all know how the chemistry between Crosby and Iginla during international tournaments.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
    Dupuis/Boychuk - Malkin - Neal

Fits under the cap too.

If you don't think it's enough for Iginla....add all the way up to a 1st. I think Pittsburgh should still do it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ovi42 View Post
    Agree with all your points except id argue the d has been awful. No first pass at all and look like they're skating in mind in their own end. They've been a disaster all around. Except Bryz, oddly enough.
    yeah I should have been clearer on that, I don't think the D has played well this year, but they weren't especially great last year either and they still managed to win games. In fact last year the Flyers were the most penalized team in the league and they still managed to post 47 wins. Bottom line is that it's unfair to point to one thing as the problem and claim a puck moving d-man is the panacea. Would a puck-moving d-man like Yandle help the Flyers? Absolutely, but I can't imagine team he wouldn't help!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Not exactly the same defence is it? Mesz and Carle both missing (puck movers). Add to that the fact that they replace them with Schenn, who is a good hitter and can clear the front of the net, but isn't exactly a breakout type of dman, you'd have to say that the D is no where near the same.

Dobber Sports Icon

Carle being gone is a huge change to their defense and the Meszaros injury as you mention is another big blow, so I think their defense is definitely a concern from last year.

Missing Hartnell is a huge gap as well as not having Jagr anymore. But the injury to Simmonds that people keep using as an excuse for the Flyers/Giroux's poor play. Simmonds has been producing quite well (.63 pts/game) which is slightly above last years clip of .60 pts/game. He missed 3 games due to injury in which the Flyers actually went 2-0-1. So people really need to stop using that as an excuse.

Hartnell and Meszaros are major players and their injuries are bound to have an impact on the Flyers success. But all teams have to deal with injuries. Vancouver has been without Kesler/Booth all season, Ottawa is dealing with injuries to Spezza/Cowen/Latendresse, Detroit's IR this season could almost make a nice defensive lineup for a team. The good teams deal with the injuries and manage to stay competitive.

You know who can make excuses this year because of injuries, Calgary and Colorado because instead of challenging for a playoff spot, they will challenge for a top draft pick. Philly was expected to be a top contender in the East, two significant injuries can excuse them back to a lower seed but shouldn't put them in danger of missing the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Legend

The Flyers have plenty of cap space as they haven't gotten LTIR relief yet from:

Pronger - $4.9m
    Walker - $1.7m
    Shelley - $1.1m

Total - $7.7m
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka