Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whitney Destinations?

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    OOOPS! Damn! Mystery solved.

ANDY GREENE ... NOT MIKE GREEN (sorry...wasn't thinking about Mike when I wrote that and missed that you specified).

I assume my holding out makes more sense now? Or am I being a dumb ass for not snapping up Faulk?

Keep in mind...I only keep 4 D...Not sure Andy Greene or Justin Faulk could crack that keeper list? (especially with Brendan Smith in the wings should he come back and light it up).

(note I'm FULL NAMING players now! ) lol. Sorry about that confusion.

Like saying..."Buddy just dropped Benn...is he worth the pick up?"
    ahhh...No...I mean "JORDIE"
    Lol. I should neg rep you for making me defend Mike 'Douchebag' Green

Andy Greene. Meh. He's just enjoying a hot week. Let him sit on the waiver wire. Not worth a pickup.

Faulk is a great long-term keeper but wouldn't be that for you by the end of this season unless you move one of your current keeper D's. Not sure I'd use a waiver pickup for him right now since you only have two of those left. I'd probably sit tight and follow his situation closely. If he seems like he's breaking out this year already, grab him over Whitney.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Lol. I should neg rep you for making me defend Mike 'Douchebag' Green
    Wouldn't blame you at all if you did!

GEEZ!

Anyway...you're last response is in line with what I feel. Thanks for the support.

Dobber Sports Deity

I could definitely see Detroit kicking the tires on Whitney.

The Islanders maybe? Whitney for Visnovsky anyone?

Heck, maybe even CBJ. Not sure who they would get in return for Whitney. Umberger maybe? He brings a heavy price tag for what he delivers so I cant see it, nor would I want to.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Wouldn't blame you at all if you did!

GEEZ!

Anyway...you're last response is in line with what I feel. Thanks for the support.
    Don't worry, I have never used it and won't use it now either

And back to the topic. Whitney... Someone said Pittsburgh but I don't see it. If a D-man makes a return to Pittsburgh, it will more likely be Gonchar (most likely not happening either). Whitney at this point wouldn't really offer anything to Pens they don't already have (Gonch is much better on PP so he'd be better fit). Pens will also need to keep focus on defensive game and I wouldn't trust Whitney's game in the defensive zone right now.

Colorado could use a PP D-man. Rangers could use a D-man like Whitney as well.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    I understand he has been injured the past two years but he is still a mobile PP QB that isn't horrible defensivley.

I think this is more of Kruger not liking his fit with the team.

Detroit for sure off the top of my head, maybe Philly or even Dallas. Return to PITT?
    Mobile? Have you seen him play since the injury? He can't even move laterally and is amongst the slowest skaters on the team.

Administrator

Allow me to be the second Oiler to confirm that this man is no longer "mobile". The many ankle injuries/surgeries have sapped his mobility. We've seen guys make comebacks after extended time off before but if you think about it, Whitney had basically nine months off to recover. If it was ever going to happen it was during that lockout.

I could see a team in need of a veteran defenseman (Detroit, Philly, LA) kicking the tires but ultimately what team should be in more need of a veteran defenseman than Edmonton? So if he isn't a fit here where would he actually fit?

A team thinking it's headed to the playoffs would want him because he has playoff experience and is a warm body on the blue line, and apparently you can't have enough of those so there's a chance but there's no way the Oilers get a good return given their investment.

I'm just gonna toss this one out there for shits and giggles but what about Whitney straight up for Penner. Penner is living in the doghouse in LA right now so maybe the teams could swap problems. With the injuries to Mitchell and Greene the Kings do need defensemen. The pipeline between LA and Edmonton has been fairly prominent in recent years though the whole trading an injured Fraser thing could have soured that.

The best part of this deal is that both guys are upcoming UFAs signed to similar deals so money isn't an issue and if they both flop (probable) then the cost is negligible. Penner was a pretty decent guy when he was in Edmonton so I could see them welcoming him back. They could definitely use some more size/toughness up front even if he doesn't exactly resolve their need for healthy centermen.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think everyone thinks huge return for him. I don't see it that way. see something like Khabibulin and Whitney to Toronto for Gunnerson, Kulemin . Yes I know it looks like a Leaf dreamer, but Edmonton has always loved Gunner and I think they would love to dump Khabibulin.
    Points only, 26 team keeper league. keep 8 + 4 prospects. 2 LW,2 RW, 2C, 4 D and G. 1 point goal,1 point assist
    Goalies. 2 points win, 1 for O/T or Shoot out loss, 3 for SO, 2 for assist, 10 for goal. Minus 1 for a loss
    Draft 8 more through draft. Need to have 11 on main team, 9 on reserve. Once roster set, can add 1 injured reserve spot.

Roster:
    LW JVR, Steen, Hagelin
    C Malkin, E. Staal, Nelson
    RW Okposo, Wheeler, Donskoi
    D Demers, Pulock, Savard, Vlasic
    G Holtby

prospects: Frost, Sprong, Andersson, Bear, Niku, Katchouk

Dobber Sports Ninja

Mexico City Maulers
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
    I think everyone thinks huge return for him. I don't see it that way. see something like Khabibulin and Whitney to Toronto for Gunnerson, Kulemin . Yes I know it looks like a Leaf dreamer, but Edmonton has always loved Gunner and I think they would love to dump Khabibulin.
    I don't see it for either team really. The Oilers have no reason to dump Khabibulin as he's expiring after this season. The likelihood of any team messing with their goaltending midway through a season, particularly a truncated one such as this is very low. Simply put, there's no one good enough available for the Oilers to slot in as Dubnyk's backup so trading Khabi really doesn't make sense until the Oilers know for sure that the playoffs aren't a possibility.

That being said, I think Gunnarson and Kulemin is a ludicrously good return for two scrap heap guys, which is why I don't necessarily see it for the Leafs, unless the goal is simply to unload Kulemin's $2.8 million from the books for next season, which doesn't altogether make too much sense since $2.8 million is pretty reasonable.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

The way they've looked the past 5 games, the Oil may as well just play him.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    The way they've looked the past 5 games, the Oil may as well just play him.
    I could not agree more. I am shocked when you see the line up and they get 1 goal. If they are trying to trade him, his value is not increasing with him sitting in the press box. I am surprised at how little production they are getting from there d. Yes there is Schultz, but what happened to Petry. He looked pretty good last year, this year the big goose egg.
    Points only, 26 team keeper league. keep 8 + 4 prospects. 2 LW,2 RW, 2C, 4 D and G. 1 point goal,1 point assist
    Goalies. 2 points win, 1 for O/T or Shoot out loss, 3 for SO, 2 for assist, 10 for goal. Minus 1 for a loss
    Draft 8 more through draft. Need to have 11 on main team, 9 on reserve. Once roster set, can add 1 injured reserve spot.

Roster:
    LW JVR, Steen, Hagelin
    C Malkin, E. Staal, Nelson
    RW Okposo, Wheeler, Donskoi
    D Demers, Pulock, Savard, Vlasic
    G Holtby

prospects: Frost, Sprong, Andersson, Bear, Niku, Katchouk

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Mobile? Have you seen him play since the injury? He can't even move laterally and is amongst the slowest skaters on the team.

This comments and Metaldude's explanations in his post are exactly right, and expose the crux of the problem. It's not about effort with Whitney, it's about an injury that is no longer allowing him to skate well notwithstanding his fitness level, his motivation, his work ethic, etc. He is damaged goods, and most every team will see that, when he's in the lineup he will provide some positives (breakout passes and puck movement) but this will be negated by his inability to defend properly, to the point where even as a 3rd pairing dman he's going to cost you shots, scoring opportunities and goals.

So unless some dumb GM trades for him based on his "name" and didn't have scouts watching him (live or on tape) during this early season, I doubt any team will take him - maybe to reach the salary floor, like the Isles did in picking up Thomas, or to a team that can use his "mentorship" skills for their young Dmen, but not to actually contribute. I think his career is over, sad as it is to say.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Star

If this guy was "mobile" as has been said above, I could see the Red Wings snatching him up in a second.
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    If this guy was "mobile" as has been said above, I could see the Red Wings snatching him up in a second.
    If he was mobile, he wouldn't be in the press box to begin with, and this thread wouldn't exist

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I don't think most people in this thread have seen Whitney play recently. No GM in their right mind would give up anything of substance for him.

Like MD threw out, maybe an underachiever swap, or I could see a team offering up a pick or something for him but given the Oilers lack of blueline depth it wouldn't be worth it for them.

No way would TO give up something along the lines of Gunnarson or Kulemin. We're talking about a guy who's a #5/6/healthy scratch on the Oilers. If a team trades for him it's as a cheap gamble.