Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Whitney Destinations?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Mobile? Have you seen him play since the injury? He can't even move laterally and is amongst the slowest skaters on the team.
    Fair enoigh but he is coming off a pretty serious ankle/knee injury.

He needs time to get up to be speed and get a little luck on the injury front, he's only 29.

I'm not going to completley give up this guy yet.
    Last edited by TrueNorth; February 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
    12 team Keeper Head to Head: (10 Keepers)
    G,A,P,+/-,PPP,GWG,PIM,W,SV%,GAA,SO

Duchene - C,
    Marleau, Benn, Ovy - LW
    Eberle,P.Kane, - RW
    Green, Yandle - D
    Price, Rinne - G

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Fair enoigh but he is coming off a pretty serious ankle/knee injury.

He needs time to get up to be speed and get a little luck on the injury front, he's only 29.

I'm not going to completley give up this guy yet.
    I don't know how much more time you can give him. He only played half the season last year and then got nine months off with the lockout. If he was ever going to get healthy it was over this stretch.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I don't know how much more time you can give him. He only played half the season last year and then got nine months off with the lockout. If he was ever going to get healthy it was over this stretch.
    ^ This.

[10char]

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm just gonna toss this one out there for shits and giggles but what about Whitney straight up for Penner. Penner is living in the doghouse in LA right now so maybe the teams could swap problems. With the injuries to Mitchell and Greene the Kings do need defensemen. The pipeline between LA and Edmonton has been fairly prominent in recent years though the whole trading an injured Fraser thing could have soured that.
    No no no! I've said it before and will do so again. Penner has serious motivational issues (hence his multiple healthy scratches this season) and we should get someone useful not someone who will give half a hoot about his training and on ice performance.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Whitney to COL for one of their D with less offensive upside but plays some consistent defence makes sense.

If that happened give Petry PP2 duties, or let Schultz play the whole PP.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I don't think most people in this thread have seen Whitney play recently. No GM in their right mind would give up anything of substance for him.

Like MD threw out, maybe an underachiever swap, or I could see a team offering up a pick or something for him but given the Oilers lack of blueline depth it wouldn't be worth it for them.

No way would TO give up something along the lines of Gunnarson or Kulemin. We're talking about a guy who's a #5/6/healthy scratch on the Oilers. If a team trades for him it's as a cheap gamble.

Agree entirely, if you've seen him play, your opinions in this thread would most definitely be swayed (assuming the opinion has to do with him being "mobile").

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont normally toot my own horn on here but in the big September 2010 Roto issue (pre-lockout) I wrote my top 3 surprises and disappointments for the Oilers. Whitney was one of my disappointments going into this season. I pretty much hit him on the head with my proverbial hammer. I wrote this:

"Whitney came to Edmonton in early 2010 and was expected to anchor the defence for years but he suffered a season ending ankle injury in December of that same year. Coming into the start of last season he and the Oilers hoped his injuries had healed but that wasn’t the case. His season started late and more injuries during the year hurt his play last season. Out of the gate Renney gave him top minutes but it was obvious he was struggling and not 100%. By the end of the season, his play had improved but his mobility hadn’t. He has admitted this off-season in an interview I recently read that his ankle still isn’t 100%. To me, if that ankle still isn’t 100%, then I am not expecting Whitney to be either and I am expecting him to struggle once again this year. It will be interesting to see how Kruger uses Whitney this season. He’s being paid like a top pairing but if the quality of play isn’t there, how long will Kruger keep giving him top billing ice time. His playing partner last season was Corey Potter but with the addition of Justin Schultz this year, I am not sure whom Whitney lines up with on a regular basis. I expect Whitney to slide down the depth chart to a 5/6 defence at best and paired up with either Potter or Peckham. Petry and Smid are locks to play together. I can see both Schultz’s sticking together.

A healthy Whitney is a 1/2 defenseman on most NHL teams, but unfortunately he will probably struggle with this injury the rest of his career so that means he will have to alter his play because of it. I will be quite surprised if Whitney scores 10 goals this year and hits 30 points. He has never been an aggressive player; he doesn’t hit, doesn’t take a lot of PIM’s and is a moderate shot blocker at best. He will offer some PP points but that’s about as good as it gets from Whitney."

The only thing I really missed was him getting healthy scratched.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont normally toot my own horn on here but in the big September 2010 Roto issue (pre-lockout) I wrote my top 3 surprises and disappointments for the Oilers. Whitney was one of my disappointments going into this season. I pretty much hit him on the head with my proverbial hammer. I wrote this:

"Whitney came to Edmonton in early 2010 and was expected to anchor the defence for years but he suffered a season ending ankle injury in December of that same year. Coming into the start of last season he and the Oilers hoped his injuries had healed but that wasn’t the case. His season started late and more injuries during the year hurt his play last season. Out of the gate Renney gave him top minutes but it was obvious he was struggling and not 100%. By the end of the season, his play had improved but his mobility hadn’t. He has admitted this off-season in an interview I recently read that his ankle still isn’t 100%. To me, if that ankle still isn’t 100%, then I am not expecting Whitney to be either and I am expecting him to struggle once again this year. It will be interesting to see how Kruger uses Whitney this season. He’s being paid like a top pairing but if the quality of play isn’t there, how long will Kruger keep giving him top billing ice time. His playing partner last season was Corey Potter but with the addition of Justin Schultz this year, I am not sure whom Whitney lines up with on a regular basis. I expect Whitney to slide down the depth chart to a 5/6 defence at best and paired up with either Potter or Peckham. Petry and Smid are locks to play together. I can see both Schultz’s sticking together.

A healthy Whitney is a 1/2 defenseman on most NHL teams, but unfortunately he will probably struggle with this injury the rest of his career so that means he will have to alter his play because of it. I will be quite surprised if Whitney scores 10 goals this year and hits 30 points. He has never been an aggressive player; he doesn’t hit, doesn’t take a lot of PIM’s and is a moderate shot blocker at best. He will offer some PP points but that’s about as good as it gets from Whitney."

The only thing I really missed was him getting healthy scratched.

Nice job! Toot away bud!

Only regret is that I didn't read this when I drafted him 15th overall in our latest draft. But then I dropped him for Coyle so not all bad news.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Agree entirely, if you've seen him play, your opinions in this thread would most definitely be swayed (assuming the opinion has to do with him being "mobile").
    This seems to be a common theme with the Oilers. Keep seeing on here how the oilers should acquire Bernier or Bishop and they will take it over from Dubnyk. As if Dubs hasn't been unworldly this year
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    No no no! I've said it before and will do so again. Penner has serious motivational issues (hence his multiple healthy scratches this season) and we should get someone useful not someone who will give half a hoot about his training and on ice performance.
    Well my point is that Whitney is hardly someone useful hence HIS multiple healthy scratches this season. At least with Penner it's a motivational issue. That can be overcome, he is in a contract year after all so you'd think at some point he might get his butt in gear. With Whitney it's a physical deficiency. You can see he wants to do well and that he's trying but he just doesn't have wheels any more.

So basically you aren't going to get much of anything for Whitney if you do move him. You could probably get a late pick but that doesn't help you now. Gambling on a guy like Penner (someone they are familiar with) at least gives them a chance at recouping value now.

I'm not talking about trading for Penner and then re-signing him. I'm just talking about making a move now and maybe coaxing something out of him for this season, which would no doubt improve the overall depth of the team and maybe even allow them to move another forward for a defenseman who can actually play.

The reality is that at this point Whitney is a spoiled investment. I'd at least like to roll the dice on someone that could help them now and you simply aren't going to get a player without warts for Whitney.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg