Thread: Whats up with Elliott?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Whats up with Elliott?

Why is he sucking so bad? He was amazing last year and he played quite a bit, even contending for the main job, although it was Halak's to lose at the beginning of this season. I picked him up primarily as a backup in case Halak, my main starter, gets injured, and I thought I'd be safe with them too alone. This way I can guarantee my weekly minimum starts, but boy he's killing me this week. Will he get back to last season's numbers? I only picked Luongo because he fell pretty deep in our draft so I thought I'd take a shot with him, now im really glad I picked him up as well.
    Yahoo Limited Keeper (Keep 4), 2nd Year, Weekly H2H, daily starts, 12 teams
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG // W, GAA, SV%, SHO,

2C/2LW/2RW/2F/4D/2G/3BENCH/2IR

Likely keepers in BOLD

C: Tavares, Backstrom
    W: Neal
    D:
    G: Lundqvist
    IR:

Dobber Sports Ace

Give him a couple more weeks and he'll be OK. Halak is going to be the guy, though. And don't expect last season's Elliott numbers again, as they were pretty wildly different from numbers he had put up previously in his career. St. Louis is an excellent team defensively though, so he'll straighten out.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Eliiot just isn't that good. He can be a great backup, but when you hand him the reigns......he collapses..

I am too lazy to do the research, but i am almost positive that this is a regular occurence when his competition goes down....
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Just a note on Brian Elliott so far this season. At even strength, he has a 1.95 GAA (Better than Lundqvist, Crawford, Fleury, Rask - you get the idea). He's getting killed on the PK, having allowed 6 goals for a 10.50 GAA which really skews the results. It's possible he'll continue to be terrible in 4-on-5 situations but to me it seems like a small sample anomaly, considering he's been so good at even strength. Something to think about.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Skin Blues View Post
    Just a note on Brian Elliott so far this season. At even strength, he has a 1.95 GAA (Better than Lundqvist, Crawford, Fleury, Rask - you get the idea). He's getting killed on the PK, having allowed 6 goals for a 10.50 GAA which really skews the results. It's possible he'll continue to be terrible in 4-on-5 situations but to me it seems like a small sample anomaly, considering he's been so good at even strength. Something to think about.
    Well, to me, this seems to expose the goalie. When you are at even strength the great defensive team can hold fort in front of you. But once the team is shorthanded its much harder to protect the goalie. They do say your best penalty killer should be your goalie.

I stand by my earlier comment. It seems to me as soon as he has to make a more than ordinary save, it doesn't happen.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm not ready to give up on Elliott, but as I mentioned earlier, don't expect the same results as last year.

I'm going to try to grab him via trade while the value is low actually. Offering my Theodore for Elliott + a low pick in next year's draft. I feel like now is a good time to get him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
    Well, to me, this seems to expose the goalie. When you are at even strength the great defensive team can hold fort in front of you. But once the team is shorthanded its much harder to protect the goalie. They do say your best penalty killer should be your goalie.

I stand by my earlier comment. It seems to me as soon as he has to make a more than ordinary save, it doesn't happen.
    Last season with the same team in front of him he was #2 overall in the league on the PK (3.21 GAA). So while I agree that performance while down a man is very important, I'd argue that using what amounts to half a game's worth of ice time is too small a sample size to get any real gauge on his current talent level.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Without looking it up, didn't he have shutouts last year? I don't think he sucks.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well, traded Harding for him after tonight's stinker. We'll see how that goes.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Elliot or Neurvith?

Elliot was dropped last night and comes off waivers on the 13th... I have Neurvith which hasnt put up good numbers either...

Keeper league but both goalies wouldnt make the cut so based on this year only who would you rather have? (W, SV,SV%, GAA)
    Last edited by Narayan; February 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
    Hellfish Hockey League
    www.Hellfishhockey.ca

In The Crease
    www.inthecrease.ca

Dobber Sports Icon

ken Hitchcocks system = Short shelf life

Last Year was a contract year.