Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hall vs Seguin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Hall vs Seguin

Who would you rather have in pts and multicat? Alot of people here seem to be really high on Seguin becoming an elite player soon, does Hall have the same potential?
    Yahoo Limited Keeper (Keep 4), 2nd Year, Weekly H2H, daily starts, 12 teams
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG // W, GAA, SV%, SHO,

2C/2LW/2RW/2F/4D/2G/3BENCH/2IR

Likely keepers in BOLD

C: Tavares, Backstrom
    W: Neal
    D:
    G: Lundqvist
    IR:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yes he has but he is also more injury prone. I would go with Seguin.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm sticking with the #1 overall pick. Hall for me. I wouldnt call him injury prone per say, more the recepient of some freaky bad luck along his journey. Either way, I like Halls situation in Edmonton, a lot!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Cant go wrong with either one.

gun to my head? Seguin.
    12 team pts only A -1pt, G - 2pt, DG +2, PPP +1, SHG +2, GWG +3, W - 4, SO - 6, keep 14 (8-4-1-1)

Tavares, Benn, Eberle, Seguin, Couture, Ennis, Horton, Turris, Vrbata, hartnell, Stepan, Boyes, Whitney, read (bn)
    OEL, Schultz, Shattenkirk, Kulikov, beauchemin, franson, spurgeon (bn one a week)
    Quick, Miller, halak (BN)

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'm sticking with the #1 overall pick. Hall for me. I wouldnt call him injury prone per say, more the recepient of some freaky bad luck along his journey. Either way, I like Halls situation in Edmonton, a lot!
    I agree with this. I'd go with Hall too, and not worry about his injuries. It's not like he's been concussed every time he is hit. A freak injury in his first ever fight with an NHL tough guy. Skate to the head during warm ups. Don't worry about the injuries. Just stick with the fact he's in a great situation with some great young talent around him.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You are correct sir. I was actually refering (in a very unclear way) more to his reckless high speed game than those freak injurys. But Im sure he is well aware of what he needs to work on to shelter himself.

Dobber Sports Genius

I live in Edmonton been to a few games, I really don't think Hall is all that great his skating is unorthadox, his stickhandling is just ok, all he has is speed and a decent shot. I will say he is gritty and gives it his all but based on Skill and the fact that Sequin is the man in Boston and will be for the future, and Hall IMO is 3rd of 4th in the depth chart on Edmonton go with Sequin.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Stud

Seguin for me, just like his game better so it's really just a personal opinion.
    Can't go wrong with either, you could make an excellent argument for both.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin View Post
    You are correct sir. I was actually refering (in a very unclear way) more to his reckless high speed game than those freak injurys. But Im sure he is well aware of what he needs to work on to shelter himself.
    The high speed is still there but I'd think hard about keeping reckless in there now. Either he's faster and getting around defencemen easier, or he's gotten shiftier and he is far more aware this season of when to take a hit and when to let off.

I'm sticking with my boy Hall, go ahead and call me biased
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Seguin... more talented, more durable. That's all there is to it.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I live in Edmonton been to a few games, I really don't think Hall is all that great his skating is unorthadox, his stickhandling is just ok, all he has is speed and a decent shot. I will say he is gritty and gives it his all but based on Skill and the fact that Sequin is the man in Boston and will be for the future, and Hall IMO is 3rd of 4th in the depth chart on Edmonton go with Sequin.
    Wait.. he's second in team scoring at point per game (with only 2 goals I might add, so clearly he has more than a good shot in his arsenal), leads the team in +/- and SOG and plays harder than anyone on the team. Not to mention his shooting % right now is about half his career level so you can easily expect those goals to see a bump. He makes some dumb plays but that's besides the point. Are you sure you've seen him play?

Oh and for what it's worth, Hall has a career average of 0.77 points per game which smashes Seguin's career average of 0.58 points per game.

I've never understood the Taylor vs. Tyler debate... if you want to say both are fantastic players and you slightly prefer one over the other, fine... But seems to be a dominant mentality around here that Tyler should have been #1 easily/is way better than Hall when aside from injuries, Hall has proven to be a better player for the most part - there's certainly no doubt as to which player is more valuable to his team.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Oh and for what it's worth, Hall has a career average of 0.77 points per game which smashes Seguin's career average of 0.58 points per game.
    Hardly a valid comparison considering Seguin averaged 11 minutes a game in his first NHL season, buried under significant depth on one of the best teams in the NHL.

Hall on the other hand averaged about 18 minutes a game in his rookie season on a shitty team that had little options.

Dobber Sports Genius

Wait.. he's second in team scoring at point per game (with only 2 goals I might add, so clearly he has more than a good shot in his arsenal), leads the team in +/- and SOG and plays harder than anyone on the team. Not to mention his shooting % right now is about half his career level so you can easily expect those goals to see a bump. He makes some dumb plays but that's besides the point. Are you sure you've seen him play?

I've never understood the Taylor vs. Tyler debate... if you want to say both are fantastic players and you slightly prefer one over the other, fine... But seems to be a dominant mentality around here that Tyler should have been #1 easily/is way better than Hall when aside from injuries, Hall has proven to be a better player for the most part - there's certainly no doubt as to which player is more valuable to his team.
    Trust me I have watched the games, and the consensus in Edmonton from most Oilers fans is Hall out of all the young guns on the team is the most expendable. I actually watched the Canucks and Oil game on Monday and made a comment to my buddy that its amazing watching Hall how he's able to get so many quality scoring chances with what appears to be far less skill then other players out there. Not to say he's not skilled, he's just a really hard worker who creates his chances that way, not that its a bad thing but I just feel Sequin is more talented.

So yes I stand by my comments but there both great players.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Deity

Trust me I have watched the games, and the consensus in Edmonton from most Oilers fans is Hall out of all the young guns on the team is the most expendable. I actually watched the Canucks and Oil game on Monday and made a comment to my buddy that its amazing watching Hall how he's able to get so many quality scoring chances with what appears to be far less skill then other players out there. Not to say he's not skilled, he's just a really hard worker who creates his chances that way, not that its a bad thing but I just feel Sequin is more talented.

You say the fans think Hall is the most expendable but I can guarantee you that Management doesnt feel that way.

And as an Oilers fan, I wouldn't call him the most expendable of the young guys. Not at this time at least.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Hardly a valid comparison considering Seguin averaged 11 minutes a game in his first NHL season, buried under significant depth on one of the best teams in the NHL.

Hall on the other hand averaged about 18 minutes a game in his rookie season on a shitty team that had little options.
    If you remove both their first years, Hall still wins. 0.81 points per game for Seguin over the past two years vs 0.89 points per game for Hall over the past two years. Does it make it closer? Yea. But Hall still has the edge.

Maybe from casual fans who just care about goals. Every serious fan I know who watches games regularly, follows play away from the puck, etc. agrees that Hall is (to use the oft overused expression) the straw that stirs the drink. The offense doesn't run without him and that was all but proven when he went down with injury last year and the team slumped hardcore. Hall's not my favorite of the bunch but he's the last I would be trading, other than maybe RNH due to organizational needs. He has more heart, drive, compete, and a greater desire to win than anyone else on the team.