Thread: Clarkson - sell high, or cherish & expect more of the same?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Clarkson - sell high, or cherish & expect more of the same?

I have an owner in my league pushing hard to get Clarkson off my squad. He's currently offering Roy + picks, and has made 2-3 other offers this week. What are your thoughts on Clarkson? Is he going to be a (scaled) 30+ goal guy again this year?

I realize he's a multi-category stud, so I wouldn't move him unless the deal was pretty rich.

NOTE - Clarkson won't be a keeper on my squad. Roster/format in sig.

Dobber Sports Veteran

While I love Clarkson in multi-cats (hits, blocks etc), his value in a league that primarily values offense is not nearly as high. I still think you can maybe find better than D Roy, too often injured etc, but I would look to sell now.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Administrator

If you haven't read my Cage Match piece on Clarkson on the front page, you should check it out. I'm of the mind that he's joined the likes of David Backes and co. as a reliable point producing power forward. I wouldn't move him for Roy even though your scoring does shade towards points. Clarkson will no doubt regress but he's getting too much quality ice time to fall off completely.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think he is a fixture in the devils top 6 for years to come and completly agree with the Backes comparison. Therefore I would aim higher than Roy if I wanted to move him. Sure his on a hotstreak so its a good time to sell, just dont undervalue him.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks much guys, and great read metaldude26 - I suggest other Clarkson owners give his writeup a read as well. Well written and well researched.

I'm going to counter offer and see if I can steal Kessel from him instead of Roy.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    Thanks much guys, and great read metaldude26 - I suggest other Clarkson owners give his writeup a read as well. Well written and well researched.

I'm going to counter offer and see if I can steal Kessel from him instead of Roy.
    Sounds like a good plan

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Clarkson is a good fit for the Devils because of their top line guys.

EVERY great line these days needs, IMO,
    *An elite passer
    *An elite sniper
    *A grit guy with decent hands

Last year, Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr was a great example of this.
    Sedin-Sedin-Burrows has been a great example of this.

New Jersey doesn't have a lot of grit and their playmaker (Zajac, Elias) and sniper (Kovalchuk) are both not grit guys. So Clarkson is a perfect fit and he has decent hands. There is a perfect fit for Clarkson in NJ. It's a "James-Neal-like" perfect fit.

Clarkson is currently ranked as the 7th most valuable player in standard category leagues by Yahoo! (G,A,+-,PIM,SOG,PPP) and I've verified Yahoo!s rankings with my own math. He doesn't even have the great mass of PIM that he usually racks up. And he's finding SOG, which is good.

I drafted Clarkson in BOTH of my multi-cat ROTO leagues this year and even kept him (over Vinny Lecavalier) in my multi-cat H2H keeper. FWIW.
    I'm 1st/15 and 2nd/14 in those two ROTO leagues and investing in Clarkson has a lot to do with that.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; February 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Clarkson is a good fit for the Devils because of their top line guys.

EVERY great line these days needs, IMO,
    *An elite passer
    *An elite sniper
    *A grit guy with decent hands

Last year, Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr was a great example of this.
    Sedin-Sedin-Burrows has been a great example of this.

New Jersey doesn't have a lot of grit and their playmaker (Zajac, Elias) and sniper (Kovalchuk) are both not grit guys. So Clarkson is a perfect fit and he has decent hands. There is a perfect fit for Clarkson in NJ. It's a "James-Neal-like" perfect fit.

Clarkson is currently ranked as the 7th most valuable player in standard category leagues by Yahoo! (G,A,+-,PIM,SOG,PPP) and I've verified Yahoo!s rankings with my own math. He doesn't even have the great mass of PIM that he usually racks up. And he's finding SOG, which is good.

I drafted Clarkson in BOTH of my multi-cat ROTO leagues this year and even kept him (over Vinny Lecavalier) in my multi-cat H2H keeper. FWIW.
    I'm 1st/15 and 2nd/14 in those two ROTO leagues and investing in Clarkson has a lot to do with that.
    Yeah, I realize how good he is, and how good of a fit he is there. But would you move him for Kessel and a low pick of somebody was willing to bite? Wouldn't you have to?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kbro View Post
    Yeah, I realize how good he is, and how good of a fit he is there. But would you move him for Kessel and a low pick of somebody was willing to bite? Wouldn't you have to?
    I would move him for Kessel. I'm not convinced that Clarkson is in the same tier as the top multi-cat guys like Backes, Lucic, etc. He is having a fantastic start, yes, but this year is such an aberration stats-wise and such a short sample, that I wouldn't be so quick to value him that high. It is his contract year, though, so I expect him to put up career numbers, much like he did the last year he played for his next contract(prorated as he missed time due to injury). And then he sucked big time the year if his new contract. He then got 30 goals but only 46 points. To value him so high based on this year's short sample is a bit too premature IMO. I would be very weary of him in a keeper league. This year, yeah, I'd roll the dice with him but if you can get Kessel for him, I'd be all over that.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.