11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hiller and Kipper

4 36.36%
  • Luongo and Nabokov

7 63.64%

Thread: Which pair is better?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Which pair is better?

I have Kipper and Hiller and am considering trading them for Luongo and Nabokov. Salary cap league with weekly roster changes, Wins and SPct are the only goalie cats we use.

Now at the start of the season, I would have definitely said I prefer my side but now the following has changed:
    1. Hiller is losing starts to Fasth who is clearly outplaying him. Could be just a temp thing but there is some risk Hiller ends up splitting starts.
    2. Luongo is getting more starts than Schneider. He could end up the backup if Van can't trade him and he slips so there is some risk there on the flip side too.
    3. Kipper is injured (appears short-term but it's still a factor since this injury could turn out to be a nagging issue affecting his performance).
    4. Nabokov is the clear starter and NYI are a better team than I thought they'd be so he should get decent number of Wins.

I am looking now and long-term but with an emphasis on this year. My forwards are kicking ass and I have a very good chance of winning this year and I feel with Kipper and Hiller that chance is not as good as if I had Luongo and Nabokov. Still early in the year but from past experience, I know that I need to make a move ASAP as I'm dead last in SPct and near the bottom in Wins. I need both my goalies to get lots of starts(and obviously play well) in order to make up.

So, is this a reasonable move to make?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Disclaimer: I know nothing about salary caps but I'm gonna say these pairs are within a few million of each other. If one side is significantly cheaper (I'd guess Kipper and Hiller are cheaper) that may alter my opinion.

It's really bizarre at the start of the year no way would you think that the one known out of these 4 would be Nabokov!

This yearI rank them:
    Luongo- The best goalie listed on the best team and is red hot. Schneider breathing down his neck, could be off to any team
    Nabokov- an average goalie on an average team put the starter this year.
    Hiller- looks terrible and has Fasth coming, Ducks are much improved team
    Kipper- the man so long as he's healthy. Hurt for the moment and the team in front of him sucks. He won't win many games.

Long-term:
    Luongo gets much stronger. Ultimately he will be the clear cut number 1 somewhere and put up strong sv%, lots of starts and thus solid win totals.

GAP

Hiller- Has put up steady peripherals for many years, if Fasth steals the starter job he could find a job elsewhere. Still only 30 years old which is the youngest of the 4.
    Nabokov- He's 37 so not a ton left. The Islanders are improving and Nabokov has been steady but with an old guy injuries and rising guys are always a threat.
    Kipper- He's 36. So long as he stays in Calgary he'll be the man because they are re-building (whether they admit or not) and I understand they have very little in the pipeline. His sv% will be fine, the same as the other 4 guys, however the wins will be few and far between.

Given all that I prefer Nabokov/Luongo now and in the future. First off Luongo is head and shoulders above the other 3. The more I think about it I really see them keeping both guys for the season unless Gillis gets a big offer for Luongo. Shortened season, Luongo red hot, window to win is closing as Sedins age, not a big cap issue this year. The real salary cap issues won't come until next summer and even if Luongo gets moved he'll be the man wherever he ends up.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Wizard

So I've made an offer of my Hiller and Kipper plus Fowler (whom I won't be able to keep next year due to cap and he's not helping me much this year) for Luongo and Nabokov. I still have faith in my goalies, it's just their situation right now and I don't want to risk it. Luongo is the best of the bunch but until he gets traded, he's got Schneider to deal with so there is some risk he won't give me as many Wins as Kipper (assuming the latter comes back quickly). Still, it's a lesser risk, I think.

Another advantage of this deal is that it frees me up about 3.5 mil in cap space so I can pick up free agents during waivers and also helps me next year when the cap goes down.
    Last edited by VincentVega; February 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

So I'm still waiting for the other GM to accept or reject my offer. In the meantime, I'm having second thoughts. Can anyone convince me that making this trade is a bad idea?