Thread: Crawford Real Deal?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Crawford Real Deal?

I'm sure most are wondering, what's up with Crawford?

First year he had great numbers (2.3 GAA, .917 SV%, 4 SO), and then a terrible sophormore slump in the 2nd year.

His numbers so far (1.8 GAA, .930 SV) are incredible -- and obviously they will normalize out as the season goes on, but i'm wondering how real is this?

I read a ton of articles over the lockout that said DO NOT touch Crawford/Emery with a 10 foot pole and that Crawford's talent level and technical level were very weak. Many compared Crawford to Jimmy Howard and Niemi -- average goalies on strong teams.

So my question is to those that know something about goalie styles/techniques/ability -- what do you see in Crawford?
    Did he reinvent himself or polish up hes technique over the lockout? Does he look solid or the type of guy that can steal games now?
    Or is he riding a hot/strong defensive team with a lot of confidence?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    12 Team keeper Rotisserie league
    16 players per team (Keep 8)
    Daily starts: 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 2 G (no min/max games)
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, HITS, PPG, PPA, SOG, BLKS, Wins, GAA, SV%, SO

Forwards: J. Benn, E. Kane, E. Staal, N. MacKinnon, Hartnell, R. Johansen, Brouwer
    Defense: OEL, A. Pietrangelo, Streit, Gudas, Green, Giordano
    Goalies: Rinne, Crawford

Keepers in bold

Dobber Sports All-Star

It's got nothing to do with his style. Crawford was really good in his first season and had a rough 2nd year. Near the end of the season last year, he found his game again and was very dominate. This season he's continued that high level of play and he's also getting a lot of offensive support from the rest of the team as well. He's on a good, young offensive team that is projected to be good so I think he's exactly where he should be right now. I got confidence in him and the rest of the hawks, they are definitely playing like they actually care this season.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Crawford reminds of Chris Osgood.
    By pure skill, I wouldn't rank him in the top 20 in NHL goaltenders.

Q: Does that matter for fantasy hockey stats & wins?
    A: No, not a lot.

Chicago has a very solid overall team - and that is the biggest thing.
    Also (as gainerama mentions), Crawford had a rocky 2nd season.
    That 2nd season was his FIRST season as the "annointed" #1 goalie for the Hawks.
    (The previous year, he was really the back-up to Turco... and there is much less pressure for a back-up).

With young goalies, they have to get over that hump of a full-first season as the annointed #1.
    I think Crawford has gotten past that and he may now be into the wonderful "Osgood status"... he fits the team well and he's going to put up good stats.

The main thing: He's good enough... (and better than Ray Emery).