Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kovie+ for Benn+

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Kovie+ for Benn+

Limited keeper league in sig.

I have the owner of Kovalchuk inquiring about Benn and Hamilton.

Basically what he's asking for is Benn + Hamilton for:
    Kovie + one of Mark Scheifele or Radek Faksa.

I'm not sold on Kovie's laziness and his low periphial stats compared to Benns. He's likely to outpoint benn but by how much in 2-3 years? Will that make up for the lower PIMs/Hits? Potential for Kovie to goto the KHL etc. Plus, I love hamilton. Points will come and he gets a good amount of hits thus far.

Which side would you take?
    16 team rotto 17 players, 9 keepers+1 maturing prospect
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA,PPG, SHP, Hits, Wins, GAA, SV%, SO
    2C,2L,2R,2F,4D,1G

Roster (Keepers=*)
    Forwards:*Stamkos (C), *Zetterberg (C/L), *Seguin (C/RW), *St. Louis (RW), *Franzen, Gallagher, Purcell, + other scrubs
    Dmen: *Weber, *Chara, Timonen, Beauchemin, Frazer
    Goalies: *Luongo, *Howard

Farm: Strome, Grigorenko (C) , Silfverberg (RW), Ellis (D), Elliot (D), Rundblad (D), Lack (G)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Keep your periphial stats, stick with Benn/Hamilton.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ya, I think you have to stick with what you have. I don't like NJ's situation moving forward either.

Dobber Sports Wizard

kovalchuck for me

you can get hits and pims somewhere else

the goals assists ppgs and ppas you cant get just anywhere

i dont understand the thought process behind giving up 4 categories to win 2 that are much easier to fill

sorry make that giving up 5 categories to win 3 as benn looks stronger in +/- while kovalchuck gets you shp as well
    Last edited by lucifer316; February 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM.

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Initiate

While Kovy might beat Benn by a few points. Benn destroys Kovy in other cats. I definitly prefer the total package kind of players in a multi.cat league. Benn had some pk duties last year and I wouldnt be suprised if that continues this season.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

While I agree you can get those periph stats from a pim/hit plug, in a rottisere with limited starts the quality of each start is huge. To get the equivalent periphs I would need to likely start Kovie once + 0.5 start for a pim/hit plug.

If I had to start a guy who gets 10 points, 100 pims and 150 hits 1/2 the time to match Benns HIT/PIM output, that costs me points.

Also, dont' forget Kovie had a 60 point season in 2010-11 and 80 points last season. Benn has not been at a point per game pace but last year we have on a 73 point page (in 82 to games). For 7 points, I'd rather have the total package. Not to mention I value hamilton above the two soft prospect forwards.
    Also, Benn is 23, kovie is 29. There is value in 6 years plus benn likely has not seen his ceiling yet whereas kovie has and may regress with the squad in NJ. Not like he's going anywhere with that contract.

Not that I wouldn't like kovie, just not at that price.
    16 team rotto 17 players, 9 keepers+1 maturing prospect
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA,PPG, SHP, Hits, Wins, GAA, SV%, SO
    2C,2L,2R,2F,4D,1G

Roster (Keepers=*)
    Forwards:*Stamkos (C), *Zetterberg (C/L), *Seguin (C/RW), *St. Louis (RW), *Franzen, Gallagher, Purcell, + other scrubs
    Dmen: *Weber, *Chara, Timonen, Beauchemin, Frazer
    Goalies: *Luongo, *Howard

Farm: Strome, Grigorenko (C) , Silfverberg (RW), Ellis (D), Elliot (D), Rundblad (D), Lack (G)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin View Post
    While Kovy might beat Benn by a few points. Benn destroys Kovy in other cats. I definitly prefer the total package kind of players in a multi.cat league. Benn had some pk duties last year and I wouldnt be suprised if that continues this season.
    kovy had 9 more goals 9 more assists 8 more power play goals 11 more power play assists and 4 more short handed points

its not just a few

total package players are great but that doesnt mean you take them over a top 5 scorer in a league with 5 scoring categories

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Banned

fortunately we don't play fantasy hockey based on last year's numbers.
    what would be the fun of that?
    what benn did last year is irrelevant.
    what he does moving forward is all that counts.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    kovy had 9 more goals 9 more assists 8 more power play goals 11 more power play assists and 4 more short handed points

its not just a few

total package players are great but that doesnt mean you take them over a top 5 scorer in a league with 5 scoring categories
    I feel pretty confident that we havent seen the best of Benn yet. I also like what Ive seen so far from Hamilton.

Dobber Sports Wizard

limited keeper it is about consolidating talent not imagining what will be someday

when benn is a top 5 player in scoring then we can talk about what the best of him is

until then kovalchuk has done it twice and has been in the top 11 4 other times in addition to the top 5 finishes

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Superstar

Not to mention Dallas is closer to turning things around then New Jersey is. Benn has more talent surrounding him, and more talent projected for the future, while New Jersey seems to be ternding in the wrong direction. Kovalchuk is once again entering an Atlanta situation with a team that is going to need to build. Sure he had his best years there as a youngster, but is he going to find the passion to come out and perform in a losing effort each night going forward? I don't seem him far out-pointing Benn this year and moving forward, and Benn's peripheral stats will more than make up that difference.

Add that to the fact that Hamilton is the better, more ready prospect, and it's an easy decline.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    while New Jersey seems to be ternding in the wrong direction.
    i am sorry but new jersey has allegedly been trending in the wrong direction ever since scott stevens retired

since then they only missed the playoffs once but have been to the finals once last season no less

they are 5-1-3 and one point out of first place in the east

how is that the wrong direction

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think Lucifer has some very valid points. Proven over unproven is definitly the way to go in most scenarios.

However would this resoning also make J Thorton a better keeper than Tavares? Or should I let my "imagination" run wild and pick Tavares?

Ok that was extrem but you get my point. I think this is close but Benn side would be my choice. So I agree to disagree.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    i am sorry but new jersey has allegedly been trending in the wrong direction ever since scott stevens retired

since then they only missed the playoffs once but have been to the finals once last season no less

they are 5-1-3 and one point out of first place in the east

how is that the wrong direction
    Once Brodeur is done, who takes over in net?

Other than Kovalchuk, who is their elite offensive talent? David Clarkson (verdict is still out on that one)? How much longer can Elias produce?

Who is in their prospect pipeline?

Sure they made it to the finals, which no one predicted, but are you willing to bet on them being a perrenial playoff team for the next 5 years? Because if you are, you have a willing participant right here.

They are a team leaving their glory days who have managed to squeeze more than anyone thought out of their goalie and team philosophy.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin View Post
    I think Lucifer has some very valid points. Proven over unproven is definitly the way to go in most scenarios.

However would this resoning also make J Thorton a better keeper than Tavares? Or should I let my "imagination" run wild and pick Tavares?

Ok that was extrem but you get my point. I think this is close but Benn side would be my choice. So I agree to disagree.
    Perfectly stated, and I will also leave it at that.

Your opinion is valid, and there are arguments both ways. I would choose the Benn side, Lucifer chooses the Kovalchuk side (who ironically palys for the devils, coincidence???? ya, probably)

Cheers