Thread: Studs & Duds for Friday 2/1

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Studs & Duds for Friday 2/1

Studs

World War Z in Hockeytown

If you ask the Blues I'm pretty sure they'd tell you they'd rather face the zombie apocalypse than Henrik Zetterberg anyday. Z was a one man plague unleashed on the visiting Blues, contributing on each and every goal for the Wings. Zetterberg finished with 3 goals and 2 assists, helping raise the Wings from the dead and better their record to 4-2-1 on the young season.

They say Lightning doesn't strike twice

Well somebody forgot to tell the Lightning's Cory Conacher that. The rookie found the back of the net twice and picked up a helper to make an emphatic statement that he's a Calder front-runner. So far the 6-1 Bolts are making hay in the Southeast in no small part thanks to the scorching start from the super-rook. Conacher now has multi-point games in five-of-the-first-seven games he's played. If you own him in a keeper league be prepared to be very busy answering trade requests for his services.

Hey, Cam, that's how it's done son

Dan Ellis put up a clean-sheet for the Canes in his start, stopping all 33 shots the Sens fired at him. Ellis posted the stellar effort while getting the start in place of the human-sieve Cam Ward. The Canes, and Ward owners, I'm sure, are hoping Cam was taking copious notes. The shutout also marked Ellis' first since Nov. 9, 2010.

Honorable mention

Beats the hell out of a trip to Chuck E. Cheese

Kyle Palmieri knows how to celebrate a birthday in style. The Ducks pivot got a lot of help from the "Finnish Facilitator" to knock two home past the Wild's Nik Backstrom en route to a 3-1 Ducks win. Bet those post-game B-day beers are going to taste extra sweet tonight.

Duds

Some days your the windshield, some days your the bug, and on rare occasions your both....simultaneously

And last night was just such an occasion for Tobias Enstrom. Toby did manage a three-point night, 1 goal and 2 assists, but finished at minus-3. And not only did he have that ignominious distinction, all three of those points came well after the outcome was decided.

I'm guess eye exams aren't part of the physicals

Just like players, I'm sure the NHL officials have to pass physicals as well. After missing Erskine's elbow to Simmonds face, and the dubious illegal head-shot and subsequent penalty to Backes, I'm thinking eye exams weren't required. If they were how did these guys pass them?

It's not true that touching a puck will give goalies cooties

Ondrej, Al, I don't know what you've heard, but I can tell you, for a fact, that you won't get cooties if you actually make contact with a puck while stopping it from entering the net. Besides which your wearing gloves and pads I doubt there will be any direct contact with your skin so your safe from infection. Your fantasy GM's, and I'm pretty sure the real live one who signs your paychecks, will thank you if you actually, how do I put this nicely, do your job and stop a few of them before they get by you.
    Last edited by NoWayOut; February 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM. Reason: Statistical Dyslexia
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nice job NWO! Haha, enjoyed reading it!

Just a minor thing, Zetterberg had three goals and two apples.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Solid piece, NWO.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Nice job NWO! Haha, enjoyed reading it!

Just a minor thing, Zetterberg had three goals and two apples.
    I'm calling it Statistical Dyslexia. In reality it's just a lack of proof reading. Glad you guys enjoyed reading it though.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....