Thread: Is Van trying to trade the wrong guy?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Is Van trying to trade the wrong guy?

Lu is looking good again tonight( and this isn't the Avs this time) .
    2010 and 2014 IceHoles League champion
    16 Team Dynasty League,H2H Scoring 1.5 PTS g,1 PT assist,PPG + 1 additional,SHG +1.5 Additional,.1 pts per PIM wins 4 pts shutout 3 pts ga -1 sv .08
    C Backes,Bonino,Lee ,Nelson,Tierney
    LW Cammalerri,Benn,Kunitz,Zetterberg
    RW Kessel,Hossa,Pominville,Saad
    D Barrie,OEL,McDonagh,Josi,Chara
    G Luongo,Rinne,Allen
    Minors Buchnivich,Kempe,H.Samuelsson,Kapanen,Lindell,Were nski,Sproul,M.Jones,S.Williams,Gillies,Darling

Dobber Sports Expert

Luongo has always been a really consistent G. The problem is two-fold: a) VAN is a city very fickle with their G, and b) his [and the team's] performance in the playoffs hasn't necessarily been bad, but has always just failed to get them over the hump. Losing 3 straight seasons in the playoffs to the team that would eventually go on to win the CUP is heartbreaking...and everyone wants to point the finger somewhere.

I think Schneider is the better choice going forward. I just believe he's cool, composed, and a more sound G technically than Roberto. What Cory has yet to really perform under is the pressure that comes from being the #1 in VAN and you could see the nerves early this season. I think this is something he'll get used to over time [he has the temperament for it], but for now it has him riding the pine.

Ultimately, as a NUCKS fan, I don't even particularly care who they trade, but they have too much salary sitting on the bench on any given game night for this to continue indefinitely. If anything this boosts Luongo's trade value in a BIG way and it doesn't hurt to showcase this.

By the end of next summer [at the latest] one will be dealt and we can put this saga to bed.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post
    By the end of next summer [at the latest] one will be dealt and we can put this saga to bed.
    I think they need something done by the deadline. Going into the playoffs with both guys will only create problems, and if they don't score in the playoffs again, the blame will be on Gillis's inability to turn one of his goalies into secondary scoring.

But you're right in that Lu's solid play is only helping the Nucks's cause.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

IMHO I think Schneider is overrated and LU is the better goalie right now which in turn gives VAN the best chance to win.I am not saying Schneider won't ever live up to the hype,but geesh how many times have we seen the hype machine turn out duds( not just goalies,but use it in context) I do believe Scneider in general got the easier starts the last few years,which is typical with a backup. I've only watched a few fo his games,so I am no expert on the situation,but I do read like crazy and this guy can be overhyped really bad .
    I do agree something needs to happen sooner than later though.IMO Van 's window to win is 3-4 yrs,which is probably what Lu has left as a great goalie,and the Sedins will be what 34-35 then? I am not a VAN fan,so no rose colored glasses here,just stating what I see lol
    2010 and 2014 IceHoles League champion
    16 Team Dynasty League,H2H Scoring 1.5 PTS g,1 PT assist,PPG + 1 additional,SHG +1.5 Additional,.1 pts per PIM wins 4 pts shutout 3 pts ga -1 sv .08
    C Backes,Bonino,Lee ,Nelson,Tierney
    LW Cammalerri,Benn,Kunitz,Zetterberg
    RW Kessel,Hossa,Pominville,Saad
    D Barrie,OEL,McDonagh,Josi,Chara
    G Luongo,Rinne,Allen
    Minors Buchnivich,Kempe,H.Samuelsson,Kapanen,Lindell,Were nski,Sproul,M.Jones,S.Williams,Gillies,Darling

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by WingNutUpNorth View Post
    IMHO I think Schneider is overrated and LU is the better goalie right now which in turn gives VAN the best chance to win.I am not saying Schneider won't ever live up to the hype,but geesh how many times have we seen the hype machine turn out duds( not just goalies,but use it in context) I do believe Scneider in general got the easier starts the last few years,which is typical with a backup. I've only watched a few fo his games,so I am no expert on the situation,but I do read like crazy and this guy can be overhyped really bad .
    I do agree something needs to happen sooner than later though.IMO Van 's window to win is 3-4 yrs,which is probably what Lu has left as a great goalie,and the Sedins will be what 34-35 then? I am not a VAN fan,so no rose colored glasses here,just stating what I see lol
    I don't want to argue about who is better...which in many cases boils down to personal opinion. I will say this, [if my memory serves me correctly] Schneider started the 2nd game of most of VAN's back-to-back games last year...meaning the team in front of him was regularly gassed and jet-lagged--and he often stole us points.

I'm not the only person high on Schneider either. I am 99.9% sure of is that if Schneider had been on the trade block instead of Luongo this story would have been put to bed over a year ago and VAN would have received a solid return.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by andrewklassen View Post
    Luongo has always been a really consistent G. The problem is two-fold: a) VAN is a city very fickle with their G, and b) his [and the team's] performance in the playoffs hasn't necessarily been bad, but has always just failed to get them over the hump. Losing 3 straight seasons in the playoffs to the team that would eventually go on to win the CUP is heartbreaking...and everyone wants to point the finger somewhere.

Ultimately, as a NUCKS fan, I don't even particularly care who they trade, but they have too much salary sitting on the bench on any given game night for this to continue indefinitely. If anything this boosts Luongo's trade value in a BIG way and it doesn't hurt to showcase this.

I agree with all of these points. I'm not a Canucks fan but they love to rag on Luongo. Lu is a top 10 regular season goalie during his time in Vancouver and he was 1 win away from the Stanley Cup. Now he's never had that big playoff run that you need from your goalie to win a cup and it's been especially painful to Vancouver fans because the last 2 seasons the Cup winner has had a Conn Smythe winning goalies.

They need to trade 1 because having that much cap space tied up in goaltending is insane. If I had to pick one goalie for this year I'd give the edge to Luongo however when factoring in age, contract (big factor), and fans I give the edge to Schneider. The flip of that is Schneider is a young very hyped stud on a very cap friendly deal so the return for him would be much larger than Luongo. Its easy to see how the Canucks could trade Schneider for a good package to improve their forward core and still be very solid in net with Luongo.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I don't get how people say Luongo doesn't hold up in the playoffs. His ratios are virtually identical in regular season vs post season. This is against the top 16 teams in the league, whereas regular season he gets to face the worst 14 teams as well. I think people just like to create a narrative where there is a non-story. And I don't get how losing to the team that won the cup can be a worse thing than losing to crappy teams.

I'll admit I thought at the start of the year that his contract was prohibitive. And it definitely is not ideal. But he can continue to be a great goalie for the next few seasons and that's probably worth an ugly cap hit 5 years down the road. I've never questioned his talent or reliability. He's one of the premier goaltenders in the league. Schneider might be great, but we don't know yet. He's certainly not proven himself to be anywhere near as good as Luongo.

Dobber Sports Ace

Your question should really be "Do Vancouver fans want to trade the wrong goalie?".
    We have no idea what MG is trying to do.. Not at all.
    I am sure though, if someone gave a much better package for Schneider, he would take it.
    He has an affordable contract for a top-10-15 starter at a good length.l. He is only 27 and is one of the more technically skilled goalies in the league. I think he could get a spectacular package.

Going that route actually makes the most sense. Lack could be Schneider and has a very good chance at being a solid solid starter if nothing else. Cannata could be much much much better. The kid was unbelievable in the NCAA for years on a poor team and has a 1.70 GAA and .932 SV% through 5 starts in the AHL in his rookie-pro season. Behind him is Honzik who is a massive (literally) home run shot. He is very raw and started the season terribly in the Q. He has been better lately and has tons of potential but is at least 3-4 years away.

If you trade Schneider, you will get a massive return. You can ride Luongo this year and next and then trade him for less and ride a Lack/Cannata tandem.

I interviewed Luongo before the season started and he seemed relaxed and just wanting to play hockey. This is the first time that he has been in Vancouver and the weight of the team hasn't been on his shoulders. He knows that he just has to play now... He is going to get dealt so may as well just make the most of the situation and play some hockey... He is much more relaxed in the crease and I saw him jawing at Kane a bit in a "strombone" way. During the media throng I was in, he made comparisons to this year's situation and the 2010 olympics situation and he excelled there, maybe just because he came in as the underdog.

If they keep both goalies, I like their cup chances... I would only trade Lu or Schneider if they got something really nice in return.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Deity

Vancouver fans are almost as screwed in the head as Leafs fans.

Lou does nothing but come in there and win games for years (not to mention a Stanley Cup final) and all he gets is crap from the fans. He is still one of the top 10 goalies in the league (granted closer to to ten then he is to one) IMO.

Now that Schneider is given his big contract and anointed the next one, the fans have now looked at Lou and are cheering him. It's like he's the golden boy again. He's doing the same thing he's done in Vancouver for year, win games. The difference is, he's on his way out the door. Schneider has become the new whipping boy of looney Vancouver fans. I don't blame Lou for wanting a trade.

That being said, the last place he should go is Toronto. If he think Vancouver fans are whack, the last place he wants to go is T.O. They are no smarter when it comes to who to cheer for and who to boo.

Schneider, if you were smart, you'd be looking for property outside of Vancouver soon as well. The fans will drive you out no matter how well (or poor) you play.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

I think they can win a cup with either goalie, but I feel the probability of doing so is higher with Luongo in net, for a few reasons. I feel Luongo is overall the better goalie. I feel like Schneider would garner a better return, and I truly believe that for the nucks to win a cup (or more), Kesler should be on the 3rd line (ala Staal, Stoll, Bolland, etc). The likelihood of that (Schneider, Kesler) happening is slim, and without it they still have a decent shot at the cup.

These have been my thoughts for 2 years now. I may be wrong, but I don't see my opinion changing about the situation this season.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."