Thread: Ovechkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Ovechkin

Just want a outside opinion on what would be a fair deal for Ovechkin. My team listed below. I'm guessing that Ovie's price should be at an all time low given his downward trend the past 2 season and his slow start this season. Or do I just stay with my team how it is?
    League Champion 2006, 2007, 2008
    12 Team, 8 keeper H2H League
    Skater Stats(4C,4LW,4RW,4D): G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,FOW
    Goalie Stats(2G): W,GA,SV,SO

C: Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Berglund
    LW: Parise, Hall, Duchene, Tanguay
    RW: Malkin, Wheeler, C. Stewart, Stempniak
    D: Doughty, Green, Phaneuf
    G: Luongo, Schneider, Ward

PSN ID: wminogue

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by wminogue1980 View Post
    Just want a outside opinion on what would be a fair deal for Ovechkin. My team listed below. I'm guessing that Ovie's price should be at an all time low given his downward trend the past 2 season and his slow start this season. Or do I just stay with my team how it is?
    If someone would offer me Hall or Parise + a pick I would move him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkers View Post
    If someone would offer me Hall or Parise + a pick I would move him.
    LOL! Sorry, those days are LONG gone. At this point you wouldn't get Hall OR Parise, let alone both of them plus a pick. Ovechkin isn't buy low, he has simply regressed to a 65-75 point forward.
    There are things known, and things Unknown. In between are The Doors...

Dobber Sports Wizard

to be honest with you 8 keepers i would likely try to see if you could upgrade your defense and/or goaltending

your forwards in a keep 8 dont need all that much work imo

i mean i assume you are chasing ovechkin with consolidating keepers in mind as it sure as shit isnt for a championship this season that one acquires ovechkin

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

LOL! Sorry, those days are LONG gone. At this point you wouldn't get Hall OR Parise, let alone both of them plus a pick. Ovechkin isn't buy low, he has simply regressed to a 65-75 point forward.

Hahahaha.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mrmojorisin View Post
    Not everyone feels this way...although as an AO owner myself I'm beginning to wonder. I had a guy offer me Getzlaf/Perry for AO this past week and we're still talking. The GM believes this is a buy-low scenario so he won't low-ball me and he's prepared to do this even if AO sucks all year...in fact he knows I'll probably only accept if it send enough points my way to win the championship this year.

C is usually an easier spot to fill, but I don't think your offer should insult the Ovi owner [it should tempt him] so I'd start with either Toews or Getzlaf [depending on which player you think he'd prefer] and get a sense of whether he thinks that's insulting, not quite there, or already a "done deal". You can always throw in a pick or another player...I think Duchene could be added.

Personally I think your Forwards are darn good for a 12 team league. You'll be crying over lack of D production and the G situation in VAN isn't helping you much [with no second line or PK to help out]. As someone else has already said you may be better served to address these issues.

If you're prepared to punt this season to set up the best core possible I would be prepared to offer Getzlaf or Toews + Hall to get Ovi [and then pray to the Dobber gods I hadn't made a serious blunder].
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffhabs20 View Post

Hahahaha.
    that's being really generous

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    that's being really generous
    Understanding that he had 65 last year and has looked like east side of a horse walking west for the most part this season, I'm curious if there are other reasons that you think 65-75 is generous going forward? Is there something(s) in particular that makes you think he goes back even further from 65??

Cheers.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Understanding that he had 65 last year and has looked like east side of a horse walking west for the most part this season, I'm curious if there are other reasons that you think 65-75 is generous going forward? Is there something(s) in particular that makes you think he goes back even further from 65??

Cheers.
    I believe it's called ... Sarcasm
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Deity

People didnt think Malkin was toast. They thought his knees were toast. His skills were never in question. Most just didnt think he would play enough games to make it worth while. Thank god for bionic knees!

Oven-chicken, on the other hand, is healthy (in a round about way). To me, its his head/heart thats being questioned. His skill level hasnt gone anywhere, to me its his head and his heart that are gone by the waste side. Until he finds a way to get those back into play, he will be a 65-70 pt player, at best. Can he return to his old form, I think so. At least I like to think so but right now its just not working for him. When Leonis is now starting to call him out, you know somethings up with his game.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sixhands View Post
    I believe it's called ... Sarcasm
    That's fair and I thought was perhaps the case.

But still, with some many divergent views regarding Ovie right now and mine currently being somewhere in the middle, I'm seriously interested in the thought process that leads some to conclude that he's effectively a couple pegs down from here on out. Just want to make sure I'm not allowing my hope of a resurgance to blind me from considering what others see as plainly obvious indications that that ship has permanently sailed. Damn rose colored glasses can really get in the way sometimes!

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    I'm seriously interested in the thought process that leads some to conclude that he's effectively a couple pegs down from here on out.
    I remember reading [or maybe it was a TV interview] an article where Stamkos talked about how much he was working to adjust his game b/c players and teams aren't stupid...they watch tape of your tendencies and preferences and try to take those away from you. Stamkos was suggesting to be elite at the NHL level involves constant work and the evolution of one's game.

I recall after Crosby's rookie season [I think it was anyway] everyone said his upside was limited b/c he could only pass the puck. So what does he do all off-season...spend time working on his shot and he comes out and scores 50 the next year. Then people said he was a great scoring F, but he couldn't take a faceoff worth a da**. So what does he do? He spends the next off-season working on that aspect of his game. As a result he's one of [if the not THE] best player in the game.

My concern with AO is I don't hear any stories about his off-season work ethic to improve and prove doubters wrong. I don't see the inner drive to be the best pushing him beyond what he already knows. I've watched a fair bit of CAPS hockey this year and have been intrigued that he is more conscious of using his teammates and passing the puck, but these are small improvements and he certainly doesn't look dominant. I suppose time will tell...
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks. What you and axeman mention is pretty similar to where I'm currently at in trying to assess this (i.e., the heart/head, and the insatiable will to constantly evolve/improve is what's been lacking). Unfortunately, you can't teach that but I also think it can improve and lead to a rebound in form if he's smart enough to recognize it and willing to to make the necessary sacrifices. Lots of "ifs" and assumptions, but I can't believe that the guy has just lost his competitiveness such that he'll choose to accept long-term mediocrity (well, compared to his skill set and potential at least).

Thanks again.

Banned

Yeah, I was being only semi-serious. I do think he is appearing to be done, though. He is legit looking like he is post-steroids on the ice, but overall he is the most predictable player in the NHL. Erik Karlsson handled him easily the other night, and most d-men in the NHL will since he never changes his style. Skate down the wing, try to use d-man as screen while getting shot off the rush...every single time. I don't think it's as much to do with heart or mind to be honest. His physical tools are diminishing.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Enough with the excuses. Sure he has some factors that are hindering his performance, but if he's a superstar, he'll find his own way to get the points. He may not reach the 100 pt mark in a season because of the changes around him, but he should be getting a point per game at the least if he's the elite player still. Sorry, but he's got some personal issues he has to deal with himself first before we start seeing results on the ice.

With that said, am I crazy to play him in my pool tonight vs. Toronto rather than bench him? Can you blame me for being an optimist? :P
    6 Team Yahoo Points-Only Keeper League
    G = 1 pt and A = 1pt, W = 1pt and SO = 3pts
    Keep 4 (any position)
    Start 3 C, 4 W, 4 D, 1 G (starters in bold)
    Bench 6
    C: Backstrom, Kopitar, Duchene, B. Richards
    W: Malkin, Seguin, St. Louis, Hossa, Gaborik, Semin, Parenteau
    D: Byfuglien, Yandle, Campbell, Burns, Wisniewski, Visnovsky
    G: Halak, Lundqvist