Thread: Supplemental draft tactics? Rep

Dobber Sports Star

Default Supplemental draft tactics? Rep

Hey fellas. So in one of my dynasty keeper leagues, we are going through our supplemental draft process right now. The players that we are allowed to pick up are players that must be on an NHL roster, but must not be owned by any other team in my league. It is a 24 team league, and each roster is very deep with players and prospects. Each team in my league is allowed 24 hours to make their selection, and that clock starts immediately after the team ahead of them chooses their pick. I won it all last year, so sadly, I get the 24th pick.

My problem is, that I have no idea how to research this kind of thing. I am not sure I want to go through every NHL team's roster to cross reference all of the names with the teams in my league to see if they are available. It's likely that this player picked will probably never make much of an impact on my team, but I am not sure I want to be the guy who says to the commissioner "umm this was too much work so I didn't pick anybody" when my turn comes, 23 players after the first pick...

Does anybody have any advice here? We are through the first 6 picks in the draft, and they were as follows:

1 Cory Conacher
    2 Damien Brunner
    3 Andrew Desjardins
    4 Carter Camper
    5 Matt Irwin
    6 Ben Scrivens

Thanks for the input here fellas. Rep to those who help!

Rylant

Dobber Sports Wizard

maybe you trade the pick it has to have some worth to a rebuilding team

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    maybe you trade the pick it has to have some worth to a rebuilding team
    Thanks bud. I did consider that until I realized that Supplemental draft picks in this league can't be traded. Not really sure why; we can trade everything else.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Thanks bud. I did consider that until I realized that Supplemental draft picks in this league can't be traded. Not really sure why; we can trade everything else.

Rylant
    sorry i got nothing after that

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Stud

Seems kind of weird. When it comes to you there isn't going to be much of anything available, at least that's what I think.

What I would probably do with the last pick is pick someone off my favourite team, at pick 24 it's an absolute crapshoot.

Dobber Sports Genius

Since you are picking 24th in a league that is as big as yours I would just take the highest rated player left from your player/stats screen. At 24th it is a crap shoot at best. No real strategy here, just take the best guy available.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Hey fellas. So in one of my dynasty keeper leagues, we are going through our supplemental draft process right now. The players that we are allowed to pick up are players that must be on an NHL roster, but must not be owned by any other team in my league. It is a 24 team league, and each roster is very deep with players and prospects. Each team in my league is allowed 24 hours to make their selection, and that clock starts immediately after the team ahead of them chooses their pick. I won it all last year, so sadly, I get the 24th pick.

My problem is, that I have no idea how to research this kind of thing. I am not sure I want to go through every NHL team's roster to cross reference all of the names with the teams in my league to see if they are available. It's likely that this player picked will probably never make much of an impact on my team, but I am not sure I want to be the guy who says to the commissioner "umm this was too much work so I didn't pick anybody" when my turn comes, 23 players after the first pick...

Does anybody have any advice here? We are through the first 6 picks in the draft, and they were as follows:

1 Cory Conacher
    2 Damien Brunner
    3 Andrew Desjardins
    4 Carter Camper
    5 Matt Irwin
    6 Ben Scrivens

Thanks for the input here fellas. Rep to those who help!

Rylant
    Couple questions:

with call ups and send downs frequently, how do we qualify to say guy that is 'on an NHL roster'?

To the best of my knowledge Carter Camper is not currently with Boston, he is playing for Providance... Thust from what you have said above that pick doesn't qualify...

If it means that any player who's rights are 'currently owned' by an NHL franchise or is 'currently contracted' to an NHL franchise, then we have lots of options to play with...

If you clarify that...

Do you have a link for your leauge on what is owned... it would only take me an hour or too figure out the avaliblity of players and give some sort of player analysis for you...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

you can't trade the pick, but you can trade the player you pick. i'd throw it out there to the rebuilding teams. tell them to give you a couple players they'd be willing to flip you a late draft pick for.

if those guys are there, you can make a deal. it also saves you doing the research.

if not, there's gotta be some high rated russian that everyone is shying away from because they're scared he's going to the KHL.
    7 Team Salary Cap Keep 6 League - Points only
    (protect max 6, salary cap = $103.5million)
    FWD: G/A = 1pt, D: G=2pts, A=1pt, Goalie Win = 2pts, Shutout = 3pts
    Dress 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 6d-men, 2 goalies (max 6 bench spots)

LW - Benn (LW/C)
    C -
    RW - Kucherov, Ovechkin (LW/RW)
    D - Gostisbehere, Letang
    Goalie - Holtby

on the bubble: Galchenyuk (C/LW), T. Johnson (C), M. Reilly (D), Yandle (D), Doughty (D)

Dobber Sports Giant

at such a late pick id rather take a craphshoot pick at a goalie. goalies you never can tell how theyll turn out.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Take Knight from the Bruins!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Banks View Post
    Couple questions:

with call ups and send downs frequently, how do we qualify to say guy that is 'on an NHL roster'?

To the best of my knowledge Carter Camper is not currently with Boston, he is playing for Providance... Thust from what you have said above that pick doesn't qualify...

If it means that any player who's rights are 'currently owned' by an NHL franchise or is 'currently contracted' to an NHL franchise, then we have lots of options to play with...

If you clarify that...

Do you have a link for your leauge on what is owned... it would only take me an hour or too figure out the avaliblity of players and give some sort of player analysis for you...
    LOL, thanks JB, I am not afraid to do the dirty work; certainly not asking anybody to spend an hour or two figuring out my situation. We are allowed to pick from anybody who has NHL experience, or has his rights owned by a NHL team, as long as nobody else in my league owns him.

Is there a list of current NHL players who were never drafted? That might be a good place to start.

I have run out of REP to hit all of you with today; will hit the ones not repped again tomorrow.

Thanks for the input Gents!

Rylant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

my favorite method is to go to thehockeynews.com website and go team by team through the depth charts and write the names that you would like to own... organize them in lists by position... then go through all the team and then stroke off everyone owned... Extreamly simple and organized...

Then create a numerical list in order of the guys left in the order you'd like to pick them from what you had left over 15-20 guys... then wait...

all the players that appear on those depth charts have thier rights owned by a club be it in JR, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL (it will even tell you where they are currently, M = Minor pro ECHL/AHL, J = Junior C = college/NCAA E = Europe)...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck