Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Call Me Crazy but I Just Rejected Sedin for Tarasenko

Administrator

Default Call Me Crazy but I Just Rejected Sedin for Tarasenko

Okay, so here's the background. It's an eight team, full keeper league where we start 3C, 3L, 3R, 5D, 2G daily with five bench spots and an eight man farm team. Scoring is mostly irrelevant to this deal but the scoring is Goals, Assists, +/-, PIM, SOG, PPP, GWG, Wins, Sv%, GAA.

The actual offer was his D. Sedin, Backstrom (goalie), and O'Reilly for my Tarasenko but my roster is as follows:

C
    M. Koivu
    Spezza
    Stastny

L
    Zetteberg
    Ovechkin
    Hall
    Kunitz
    Semin

R
    Callahan
    Selanne
    Iginla
    Backes

D
    Green
    Karlsson
    Pietrangelo
    Streit
    Edler

G
    Halak
    Dubnyk
    Kiprusoff
    Ward

Farm
    Tarasenko
    Granlund
    Schwartz
    Larsson
    Kassian
    Brunner
    Atkinson
    B. Smith

I said all that to say that I basically have no room for Sedin. The way our farm system works I can callup/demote Tarasenko freely until he's played 50 NHL games and then I can keep him in the minors until he's played 164 games. Basically, I could sit on him for years until I am absolutely certain he will produce for me. This being an eight team league there is always talent on the waiver wire so it's actually beneficial to sit on quality prospects until you absolutely need to bring them up or they force your hand.

Any trade I make involving Tarasenko really equates to dropping a guy AND losing Tarasenko. Sedin might be worth it but clearly I don't NEED him. What I really need is an upgrade in goal and Tarasenko is just as good bait as Sedin and perhaps better.

Can you guys please validate my thoughts on this?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Star

There's always room for Sedin. You are crazy
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You are crazy.
    I would have made this trade.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Especially needing an upgrade in goal, you didn't make a good decision. There is always room for a proven player like Sedin who has a good history of steady, high production, and while there may always be talent available on the waiver wire, there won't be that kind of talent. You could have packaged other, lesser players for the likes of Granlund, Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, other prospects that aren't off to a hot start. Sedin would have instantly become your best LW. Sorry, but bad call. Overvalued Tarasenko based on a hot start.

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with what you did. It's the extra pieces that ruin it for you.

Getting Sedin would cause you to drop Kunitz (easy move)

But after that I don't see Backstrom or O'Reilly as upgrades. Or enough to justify it.

If it was just Sedin for Tarasenko then I'd consider it. But the other stuff is just more of a headache.
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by golfguy1672 View Post
    I agree with what you did. It's the extra pieces that ruin it for you.

Getting Sedin would cause you to drop Kunitz (easy move)

But after that I don't see Backstrom or O'Reilly as upgrades. Or enough to justify it.

If it was just Sedin for Tarasenko then I'd consider it. But the other stuff is just more of a headache.
    This is basically where I stand. I told the guy that Backstrom and O'Reilly would be drops for me (you can debate whether or not Backstrom is worth more than Dubnyk or Kipper but the reality is none of them have value beyond desperation spot starts) so there's no value in me getting them in the trade. He'd just pick them back up after. I said that I'd need more solid value in return.

Clearly he wants Tarasenko, he's rebuilding so I can still do the Sedin trade if I want it but I'd prefer to keep my options open while I kick down doors trying to land a legitimate #1 goalie.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    This is basically where I stand. I told the guy that Backstrom and O'Reilly would be drops for me (you can debate whether or not Backstrom is worth more than Dubnyk or Kipper but the reality is none of them have value beyond desperation spot starts) so there's no value in me getting them in the trade. He'd just pick them back up after. I said that I'd need more solid value in return.

Clearly he wants Tarasenko, he's rebuilding so I can still do the Sedin trade if I want it but I'd prefer to keep my options open while I kick down doors trying to land a legitimate #1 goalie.
    Hmm....well yeah, we can forget O'Reilly in this. He's just a throw-in.

But your goalies are fine. Kip and Ward are going to be better. Dubnyk...wellllll lol

Even so, the value Sedin has over Tarasenko? Could easily have made the trade, flipped him or other LW for a #1 goalie. I would think. But maybe that's just me
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Administrator

I've got a couple of potential counter offers to propose:

Sedin + Varlamov for Tarasenko

Sedin + Elliott for Tarasenko

Both of these would better address my goaltending situation than the initial offer.

Dobber Sports Star

Both of these would better address my goaltending situation than the initial offer.
    Is it a weekly or daily start legaue? Like if you had Halak and Elliott could you choose which one to play each day??
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    Hmm....well yeah, we can forget O'Reilly in this. He's just a throw-in.

But your goalies are fine. Kip and Ward are going to be better. Dubnyk...wellllll lol

Even so, the value Sedin has over Tarasenko? Could easily have made the trade, flipped him or other LW for a #1 goalie. I would think. But maybe that's just me
    Yeah that has a ton of merit, I just hate losing assets when I don't have to. For instance if I did the deal then I'd be dropping Kunitz or Stastny. I can live with that but I'd prefer to not have to do so. And maybe it's just me getting greedy but clearly he's overvaluing Tarasenko. I'd like to milk that as best I can and actually address my goaltending in the deal. If you see above I've got a couple of potential counter offers that would work better for me.

Dobber Sports Deity

I prefer option #1 over #2. At least with Varly you are getting a young starter. Elliot is one of those backups who will get some starts but is he going to overtake Halak? I cant see it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would have taken the original deal and dropped Kunitz and Dubnyk personally.

In any case that's in the past. I think you'd be crazy to not accept D.Sedin and Varlamov.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    Is it a weekly or daily start legaue? Like if you had Halak and Elliott could you choose which one to play each day??
    I don't blame you for skipping over it but I did say it's daily in the initial post. So yes I could choose which one and we can start two goalies each day so there's potential to put them both in the lineup.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I would have taken the original deal and dropped Kunitz and Dubnyk personally.

In any case that's in the past. I think you'd be crazy to not accept D.Sedin and Varlamov.
    Well I hit him up with both options. Probably should have mentioned that from the get go. I'll see what he says. I don't know which offer I'd prefer. On one hand I LUUUUURVE the idea of getting the St. Louis handcuff on the other hand I'm a big fan of Varlamov he reeks of being the next Lehtonen (ie. injury prone guy who finally figures it out) but the problem is Colorado stinks so it's not like he's going to be a huge upgrade in goal, at least not this year.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I prefer option #1 over #2. At least with Varly you are getting a young starter. Elliot is one of those backups who will get some starts but is he going to overtake Halak? I cant see it.
    No, but if he gets 15-20 starts this year then he's going to have real value and Colorado stinks so as much as I'm on board with Varlamov, I also want to win now. And admittedly that does go counter-intuitive with my initial decision to reject Sedin but like I've suggested, I'm getting greedy.