Thread: Goalie advice

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Goalie advice

I'm looking at dropping Giguere & picking up another goalie. Colorado's schedule just doesn't look nice going into Feb.

Note that our league doesn't count wins just SV% & GAA, but the goalie has to have a reasonable chance of playing.

so here's some of the FA pool: Greiss, Garon, C. Mason, Ellis, Biron, Theodore, Nilstorp, Fasth, LaBarbera, Neuvirth.

anyone stand out?

thanks
    12 team roto-league, weekly set lineup. G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,HIT,BKS GAA, SV%

3C 3L 3R 3Util 6D 2G 3Bn 2IR

F: T. Johnson, B. Nelson, D. Brassard, M. Lucic, J. Schwartz, C. Soderberg, A. Ovechkin, B. Gallagher, E. Kane, C. Smith, B. Saad, D. Backes, M. Fisher

D: S. Weber, A. Pietrangelo, T. Daley, J. Muzzin, D. Girardi, M. Stuart, T. Hamonic, J. Bouwmeester, B. Burns

G: Halak, Holtby

Dobber Sports Expert

Giguere's still in the league?

The only guys there with a reasonable chance of playing are Neuvirth, Labarbera (only if Smith is out) and Theodore. Slim pickins.
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Veteran

Neuvy is a great option but keep an eye on Fasth. He *might* get to steal some starts from Hiller in Anaheim.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks guys,

I guess I'll sit tight & see what pans out.

F: T. Johnson, B. Nelson, D. Brassard, M. Lucic, J. Schwartz, C. Soderberg, A. Ovechkin, B. Gallagher, E. Kane, C. Smith, B. Saad, D. Backes, M. Fisher

D: S. Weber, A. Pietrangelo, T. Daley, J. Muzzin, D. Girardi, M. Stuart, T. Hamonic, J. Bouwmeester, B. Burns

Dobber Sports Stud

Neuvirth and Theodore are much better options than Giguere. Theodore is a starting goalie so that's a pretty big plus, and Neuvirth has the chance to be the starter for the Caps, and at the very least will get nearly half the games for the Caps this season. Neither of them are great goalies, but they are both upgrades, and neither seem to be on great teams to make them stand out. Choosing between Neuvirth and Thedore is about how good you think Holtby will be, if you think Holtby will be the guy for the Caps this season, then go Theodore, but if you don't have much faith in Holtby go with Neuvirth. Again both guys are upgrades over Giguere.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Drop JSG, add Neuvirth.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'd go with Neuvy or Theodore. Probably Neuvirth.

Don't see why Giguere is owned when those kinds of alternatives are out there...I'd rather have a handful of guys over JSG (Garon, Greiss, Theodore, Neuvirth)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Well, our format is a bit strange for goaltenders - no wins, just GAA & SV%, so I left my goaltenders until late in the draft. Getting Luongo in round 14 is pretty good & somehow I'm at near the top of the goal-tending stats. That probably won't last with the way CO is playing....

That being said I probably just got rushed in the 90 sec draft window when getting Giguere.

Appreciate the advice & I'll keep an eye on Neuvirth & probably make the snag after watching the game tonight. Cheers!
    Last edited by HamHouse; January 29, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: not making full sentences - pre coffee

Dobber Sports Superstar

Is there somekind of minimum games played requirement? The reason I ask is that in a roto, with no wins why wouldn't you just run with 1 goalie, and spot start him at that? Luongo right now has a 2.20 and a .917 which would have been good for 6th overall last year. If there is no minimum games played I'd be tempted to bench him for all but the easiest games and if he ever got under 2.00 bench him for the season.

If there is a minimum games played requirement I'd add Neuvirth.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Is there somekind of minimum games played requirement? The reason I ask is that in a roto, with no wins why wouldn't you just run with 1 goalie, and spot start him at that? Luongo right now has a 2.20 and a .917 which would have been good for 6th overall last year. If there is no minimum games played I'd be tempted to bench him for all but the easiest games and if he ever got under 2.00 bench him for the season.

If there is a minimum games played requirement I'd add Neuvirth.
    There's no minimum # of games but the commish has said that your goalie has to have a reasonable chance of playing, so you can't start someone who's sitting on a shut-out but won't play for the rest of the season
    You also can't run with only 1 goalie - the commish knows everyone in this pool so anyone who tries that will hear from him.

From what I saw tonight Neuvirth looked alright, but the stats aren't great - 3.07 GAA & .897 SV%. There's 3 more games for WAS until Sun. so I'll still wait before I make a move.
    Anyone got the skinny on Chad Johnson? - Tippett is going with him again on Wed. & PHO seems to have a good defensive system going.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by HamHouse View Post

Note that our league doesn't count wins just SV% & GAA, but the goalie has to have a reasonable chance of playing.
    There's no minimum # of games but the commish has said that your goalie has to have a reasonable chance of playing, so you can't start someone who's sitting on a shut-out but won't play for the rest of the season
    You also can't run with only 1 goalie - the commish knows everyone in this pool so anyone who tries that will hear from him.
    Just a suggestion for your commish to put forward for next year - why don't you add 'Saves' as a category? That way, your commish wouldn't have to monitor the teams and it ensures you'll have to play your goalies.

Dobber Sports Superstar

From what I saw tonight Neuvirth looked alright, but the stats aren't great - 3.07 GAA & .897 SV%. There's 3 more games for WAS until Sun. so I'll still wait before I make a move.
    Anyone got the skinny on Chad Johnson? - Tippett is going with him again on Wed. & PHO seems to have a good defensive system going.
    Well that's a pretty wishy-washy system but assuming you're not the commish it's not your fault. Given that you only count GAA and SV% I would pick up Biron (assuming holding him meets the arbitrary approval of the commish). Normally I'd pick up Neuvirth but with no counting stats there is no advantage to playing often. Biron will play occasionally in front of a rock solid team and put up solid numbers.

And as horrofan mentioned next year suggest you add Saves, or wins or something that encourages more games played for goalies.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Just a suggestion for your commish to put forward for next year - why don't you add 'Saves' as a category? That way, your commish wouldn't have to monitor the teams and it ensures you'll have to play your goalies.
    Yeah, I've had that thought also, or perhaps SO. This scoring set-up is only in it's second season, with some change over in coaches so people are still getting adjusted. We used to have G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG & W, SV%, GAA but some coaches felt that in a 13 team league you had no chance at winning if you didn't get starting goalies & not much encouragement to play hard until the end of season. It was also hard to find a decent goalie in the FA pool with that set-up with most teams carrying a third (sometimes fourth) goal-tender.

I'm thinking that we need to add one cat. for goalies & one more for skaters for a 9/3 split - something like that.

@Lawman :
    I've been thinking about Biron also - I'll have to check the Rangers schedule to see when the BtB games are, but I definitely have more faith in them than the Caps just because the defense core is stable. Also love watching them play!

edit: looks like March & April have 2 BtB games, so I'll keep an eye on Torts & see how he plays them. Pretty easy to do since I've already got 2 other Rangers.

If my team somehow manages to stay on top of the goal-tending stats (currently 2nd best) with spot starter goal-tending I'm thinking that someone will complain about the set-up. I certainly don't expect to remain at the top in those categories, but you never know...

thanks for the input!
    Last edited by HamHouse; January 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM. Reason: more info