Thread: rebuilding in keeper pool: advice on trade pls

Dobber Sports Novice

Default rebuilding in keeper pool: advice on trade pls

i took over a crappy team end of last season so i'm forced to rebuild. my only real asset is Tavares. I dont really wanna lose him but here is the trade that was preposed to me and keep in mind its a keeper pool; going out: Tavares, Kunitz, Burrows, Jagr and Giordano.. coming back: Kadri, Kuznetzov, Morgan Rielly, Derrick Pouliot, 2 first rounds and one second round pick in this year's draft. I'd appreciate anyone's advice as i havent yet made a trade this big.. thanks dobbers

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by johnny10 View Post
    i took over a crappy team end of last season so i'm forced to rebuild. my only real asset is Tavares. I dont really wanna lose him but here is the trade that was preposed to me and keep in mind its a keeper pool; going out: Tavares, Kunitz, Burrows, Jagr and Giordano.. coming back: Kadri, Kuznetzov, Morgan Rielly, Derrick Pouliot, 2 first rounds and one second round pick in this year's draft. I'd appreciate anyone's advice as i havent yet made a trade this big.. thanks dobbers
    please no no no - don't accept that deal

unless the league stats count 5x points for rookies, you are losing big time.

Tavares is a potential top 5 scorer for the next several years.

Kuznetzov probably best prospect, but may stay in KHL.

if you are rebuilding, don't trade your one and only superstar.

if you can trade older players like Jagr, for younger players like Reilly thats fine.

lets say somehow that team finishes last (despite having Tavares) or most likely you finish last, and get 1st overall. you'll draft Mackinnon, hoping he turns out like tavares.

i took over a last place team in one league, and i made some deals getting players like Couture, Letang, Lucic trading some older guys like Hartnell, Streit, etc.

p.s. this should be posted in keeper trade thread
    Last edited by cdubb; January 26, 2013 at 7:41 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Wizard

i wouldnt trade tavares by himself for all of that

you have tavares as the centerpiece of your rebuild you dont send him out in a rebuild

there are situations where you do deal tavares however what comes back must be much better than what you listed

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Star

No don't do it.
    Tavares is young and will be part of your rebuild.
    This will cripple your team as none of the guys coming back could become Tavares-Like player for you.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by MarmotKing View Post
    No don't do it.
    Tavares is young and will be part of your rebuild.
    This will cripple your team as none of the guys coming back could become Tavares-Like player for you.
    My "no, no, no" probably wasn't strong enough of a response, I like the word "cripple" better.

Is this your first keeper, who offered the trade? The GM is literally trying to rape you in the butt with this offer. I hope it's not a money league. Rebuilding does not mean trading your best player (necessarily) for picks/prospects. Maybe stick to one year pools, so you have a chance each year to compete.

Anyway, useful to post your roster, and league categories.
    Last edited by cdubb; January 26, 2013 at 7:59 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Ace

It's all about baby steps with the rebuid, piece by piece.
    Agreed with Tavares, Don't! Anyone you trade for, you'll hope to get someone back who might be as good. Likely, that doesn't happen.
    Like its mentioned, start by shipping out your older guys for young guns and solid picks. Once you've ridden yourself of the Jagr's of the world and have a solid base, start moving the other way and using the pieces you've aquired to start adding better pieces. I know it's vague and general advice, but that the general architect for a rebuild that I've always use and it generally has worked out pretty well. I'm in the middle of doing the same thing right now.
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Personally I would trade Tavares if I was in your shoes... And the team in my sig was there about 4 years ago. But you would need to get vastly more value than that, and at least 1-2 fairly safe bets like a Hodgson or Evander Kane along with blue choppers like Kuznetsov or Huberdeau type players... And 1st rounders are always nice.

But I would agree to TRY to ship off older lesser assets first, as their expiry date is sooner, and Tavares value could still potentially go up.

Dobber Sports Stud

This trade rests entirely on thost two first rounders you mentioned. Are they in the 2013 draft? How high are they likely to be. I'm very high on the top end of this years draft class and IF these picks could land you in the top 5 that makes a HUGE difference in how I'd value this deal.

Others have already given you solid advice. You can not just throw in guys like Kunitz, Burrows and Jagr.....I made mistakes like this when I first joined a keeper and it took me years to claw back solid NHL talent like that.

Here are a few tips:

-Do not get caught up in hype surrounding the upside of prospects. For every 70-80 point upside player who pans out there are 4 searching for thier first 60 point season. You'll get lots more useful seasons out of Burrows and Kunitz...do not throw them away.

-Do not throw in older players just because you don't see a place for them in the future of your franchise....leverage fair market value for them or just sit tight and wait for the trade deadline when the top GM's make their play for the win and are willing to give up more for a guy like Jagr.

-Do not pay for prospects with question marks unless the price is right (eg. Kuz is a buy low candidate only. Do not pay for his upside under any circumstances!)

-Scour these boards for tips on players you might be able to snag for free...wait for those names to start becoming more well known and flip them as the hype builds. There's no easy way to rebuild a franchise.

Good luck

Dobber Sports Novice

wow, thanks a tonne u guys. i've restarted this convo in the proper thread. (im new)