Thread: "Strat-te-gery"

Dobber Sports Ace

Default "Strat-te-gery"

So I'm in a one-year league that limits your FA pick ups... Our comish set the maximum allowed moves at 25 for the season and 4 per week. In past, non-lockout seasons, you had to budget those FA pickups carefully and guys usually didn't stream players in and out of the line-up much until the playoffs.

But this year is different... The max limit wasn't adjusted down, even with the lockout shortening the season. Sure, the weekly limits are still 4, but those 25 moves in fewer weeks than normal, makes it much easier to stream those players in and out of the line-up.

It has me wondering, is it even worth holding a 3rd goalie (Vokoun), when I could stream forwards in and out of his roster spot. What do you think? Is Vokoun even worth having, figuring he'll probably get a start a week for PIT, or should I try to deal him, and free up the spot for some more firepower?
    Yahoo! H2H, 1 year, 12 teams, Daily starts
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN, IR, 3IR+
    Used 41/45 moves
    ---------------------
    C} Matthews, Barkov, Hertl
    LW} B.Tkachuk(C), Guentzel, Nichushkin(RW)
    RW} Miller(C), Rust, Schmaltz(C)
    D} Josi, Fox, Dobson, Carlson
    G} Nedeljkovic, Daccord, Grubauer, Pickard
    IR} Demko
    IR+} Neighbours

via GIPHY

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Two On One View Post
    It has me wondering, is it even worth holding a 3rd goalie (Vokoun), when I could stream forwards in and out of his roster spot. What do you think? Is Vokoun even worth having, figuring he'll probably get a start a week for PIT, or should I try to deal him, and free up the spot for some more firepower?
    Agree drop him ... Maybe he'll get you at most one extra goalie start per week, but hard to predict, and may overlap with your other goalies.

Get an extra forward ... I usually play 3/4 dmen spots to play forwards for an extra game or two.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Superstar

Considering you have Rask and Miller I don't think Vokoun adds a ton of value and would prefer to have another skater. Try to see if you can get anything via trade otherwise just drop him.

25 moves isn't a ton. You should keep 12 to maximize streaming during the playoffs leaving 13 moves for 11 week season or just over 1 per week.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    You should keep 12 to maximize streaming during the playoffs leaving 13 moves for 11 week season or just over 1 per week.
    ^ This is good advice (assuming H2H league.)

I know you have a lot of transactions... but I'd definitely save some for the playoffs. You will love having moves to make when the last day of a H2H match-up rolls around.
    For example, I've had matches in the past where maybe I'm losing 5-4-1 going into that final day and I'm just losing PIM. I'll drop 3-4 players and roster a bunch of goons just for a shot.
    Sometimes it works. Especially in one-year leagues, you can make some pretty drastic moves for that critical last Sunday.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for confirming my hunches amigos!
    Yahoo! H2H, 1 year, 12 teams, Daily starts
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN, IR, 3IR+
    Used 41/45 moves
    ---------------------
    C} Matthews, Barkov, Hertl
    LW} B.Tkachuk(C), Guentzel, Nichushkin(RW)
    RW} Miller(C), Rust, Schmaltz(C)
    D} Josi, Fox, Dobson, Carlson
    G} Nedeljkovic, Daccord, Grubauer, Pickard
    IR} Demko
    IR+} Neighbours

via GIPHY