View Poll Results: Whos the better keeper?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bobby Ryan

23 50.00%
  • Evander Kane

23 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bobby Ryan vs Evander Kane

Dobber Sports Master

You should avoid changing (or forming) opinions of players based on 20 games. The best advice I can give is to watch 2 or 3 full games and make specific notice on the player in question. Use this knowledge and look to see if it matches the stats you can find. If something doesn't sit right with a player's stats, watch another couple full games and see if there is a reason to think the stats may not be telling the whole story. I find you can see a lot about a player when you are actively "scouting" him during the course of a full game.

I like to use stats as my primary method of assessing players, but watching a few games does give you a much better insight into the the type of player you are trying to judge.

Now... despite what I've said above, my opinion here is based on only stats and what I've seen of Ryan's play this year. I dont own Kane, nor am I targeting him for a trade in my league.

For me, I'd rather have Ryan. He has scored 30 goals four years in a row. I think we can feel that is the starting point for him. If he doesn't score 35 next year, you will be entitled to be disappointed. He's got silky hands and a knack for finding the back of the net. I also think he is ready to take the next step in his development, whereas Kane may take another year or so to be at the same level.

One further point that I liked above was RTBP's comment about having a better head on his shoulders. I believe this to be true. Ryan seems to be more grounded and focused which I think will be a better foundation moving forward in their careers.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Why not broaden your scope. 6 weeks ago, I owned Ryan too. But I assessed what my fellow GM's needs where (I pay special attention to their injuries, weaknesses and it helps a ton when they publicly bitch about aspects of their squad).

I was able to approach the owner of Perry and make a large somewhat convoluted offer to him for Perry including Ryan going to him. I weighted it in his favor somewhat which would tell me 3 things:

a) If he has no interest in moving the guy I wanted, even with the offer tilted toward him, I would quit and move on. (Not Bites)
    b) if he was interested, and accepted, well, perhaps a slight overpayment but I got the guy I want (Like fly fishing, the bait hit's the water and is snapped up)
    c) if he was interested...but perhaps only aspects of my offered bait...(the fish are nibbling..I just need to re-bait or re-jig my hook).

I knew he needed goaltending and I knew he needed strength on LW and was Deep on RW.

Offers and re-offers where tabled, then at just the right time...I said "Let's boil this down to what we really need...You need a LW...I want a RW...you could use Goaltending"...

I offered up Ryan and Theodore(Theo of 6 weeks ago...not the bust he is now) and snapped up Perry and Bernier(the goalie "Prospect" i trully wanted for next season).

While it was perceived as a win/win at the time...I think we can all agree that the scales tipped back toward me.

Moral of the story...I got Perry for Ryan... you could do better than Kane if you're crafty enough. Start big...then boil it down. You'll never get max value but simply offering 1 for 1.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    With SOG and hits I think I'd prefer Kane. I like Ryan quite a bit, and I think we'll see bigger things from him in the next couple years, but I've seen enough from Kane to know that he has dimensions to his game that will surprise when he puts it all together. In the meantime, he's still a multi-cat stud. He's also 4+ years younger.

Either way you've got a tremendous young player.
    I didn't vote, but I agree w/CascadeFilly. Seems like every year w/have a discussion w/regard to how much better Ryan is going to be...at some point in the future. Ryan is solid enough, but Kane's upside is equal at least, will out hit Ryan every year, will equal if not surpass Ryan's PIM total, and is four years younger w/ no competition for ice time.

Kane's a beast now and is only getting better.

EDIT: lmao I did vote apparently. When was that? Egads my mind is going on me. Hope I voted for Kane...lol...
    @SmittysRant