View Poll Results: Whos the better keeper?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bobby Ryan

23 50.00%
  • Evander Kane

23 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Ryan vs Evander Kane

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Bobby Ryan vs Evander Kane

Bobby Ryan vs Evander Kane - keeper question. Who is better to keep? who has the higher ceiling/peripherals. My league categories are in my signature:
    G, A, PPP, +/-, SOG, PIM, Hits, BS(Blocked Shots).

Evander Kane has been posting better numbers in my league since I joined it last year however, I have been sitting on Ryan hoping he would bust out once Teemu finallly retires. I may have a chance to aquire Evander Kane for Bobby Ryan.

My gut instinct says Evander Kane will help my team out more, but I would hate to be kicking myself if Ryan busts out in a big way next year.

Thoughts?
    12 Team H2H Points 1 Year League
    Positions: 2C, 2RW, 2 LW, 4 D, 2 Util, 2 G, 4 Bench
    PLAYER: G 6, A 4, (+/-) 2. PPP 2, SOG .9, Blk 1
    GOALIE: W 5, GA -3, SV .6, SO 5

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BulmaCrank View Post
    Bobby Ryan vs Evander Kane - keeper question. Who is better to keep? who has the higher ceiling/peripherals. My league categories are in my signature:
    G, A, PPP, +/-, SOG, PIM, Hits, BS(Blocked Shots).

Evander Kane has been posting better numbers in my league since I joined it last year however, I have been sitting on Ryan hoping he would bust out once Teemu finallly retires. I may have a chance to aquire Evander Kane for Bobby Ryan.

My gut instinct says Evander Kane will help my team out more, but I would hate to be kicking myself if Ryan busts out in a big way next year.

Thoughts?
    I think Ryan has a higher upside and he is actually quite close to Kane in those peripherals. Id stick with Ryan personally.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Another vote for Bobby Ryan, but I think these will be the two premier power forwards in the NHL for several years. I just like Ryan's ceiling a bit more as he's a more well-rounded player offensively, in a perfect situation I could see him hit 90 (45 and 45 really doesn't seem that farfetched, I think his upside is criminally underrated). He doesn't hit quite as much as Kane, but I see them both as 300+ SOG players eventually, and the PIM and blocks are a wash between them. So the peripherals are very close.

Offensively is where there's some separation imo, and although it still won't be much I do like Ryan better. He has a little playmaker in him even though he's mostly a goal scorer he has the ability to set other people up which will give him a boost in scoring at some point over Kane who's game is almost entirely shoot first.

Like I said it's close but I do prefer Ryan.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Genius

With SOG and hits I think I'd prefer Kane. I like Ryan quite a bit, and I think we'll see bigger things from him in the next couple years, but I've seen enough from Kane to know that he has dimensions to his game that will surprise when he puts it all together. In the meantime, he's still a multi-cat stud. He's also 4+ years younger.

Either way you've got a tremendous young player.

Thanks for the feedback guys, didnt make my decision any easier though haha. Seems like a wash, guess I will hold on to ryan for now.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Give me Ryan. I just like his offensive upside a little more.

Dobber Sports Pro

Ryan has a much better head on his shoulders. A large part of the game is mental, especially as you age. I'd hold as well.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd take Ryan, more all-around offensive game, less injury prone. Will be on the #1PP next season finally with Perry & Getzlaf.

Dobber Sports Stud

Points wise Ryan is going to benefit when Selanne finally decides to hang up the skates. I really like him moving forward, I believe he will be the better player.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ryan for me. I think he's the better player...higher upside...better team mates...better team. That's enough for me!

Dobber Sports Wizard

12 votes for Kane, but only 1 comment picking him. Come on guys if you like Kane let's hear your reasoning I and a few others in the thread have our opinion but it doesn't mean we (or especially the OP) don't want to hear yours. This is not a landslide by any means maybe you can change some minds.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    12 votes for Kane, but only 1 comment picking him. Come on guys if you like Kane let's hear your reasoning I and a few others in the thread have our opinion but it doesn't mean we (or especially the OP) don't want to hear yours. This is not a landslide by any means maybe you can change some minds.
    Haha, I was thinking the same thing, FTD. Bizarre that I've been the only one speaking up for Kane.

As a follow up, it's only 3 games, but Kane already looks like a more complete, multidimensionsl player than a year ago. Last year he would fly down the left side boards every time he touched the puck, and he'd either shoot or drive to the net. Not bad, but it becomes predictable. Impatiently throwing the puck cross-ice in the offensive zone was his version of 'passing.'

This year he is generating plays. He's using the middle of the ice a lot more, he's circling behind the net and around to the right side to find an open teammate, or stopping short and finding the trailer, and he's making passes that he wasn't capable of last year. I'm sure you've all seen it, but his play on Wheeler's goal last night was terrific, and a good indicator that his game is expanding. He's still a shoot first guy, still very physical and he still loves flying down the left wing, but he's adding some exciting tools to his game. I saw glimpses of it last season, but he was still impatient and getting rid of the puck far too soon. So far he's putting it together faster than I expected.

Again, it's early. He's super young, and there could be some growing pains yet, but these first 3 games are very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Thanks for saying this I was thinking the exact same thing.

I decided to add some statistics from the last couple years from my league for people to view.

Bobby Ryan:
    2013: Goals: 0, Assists:0, PIM:0, SOG:1, Hits:1, BS: 4
    2011-12: Goals: 31, Assists,26, PIM:53, SOG: 204, Hits: 113, BS: 24
    2010-13: Goals: 34, Assists: 37, PIM: 67, SOG 270, Hits: 156, BS: 34

Evander Kane:
    2013: Goals: 1, Assists: 1, PIM, 2, SOG: 11, Hit: 9, BS: 4
    2011-12: Goals: 30, Assists: 27, PIM: 53, SOG: 287, Hits: 173, BS: 31
    2010-11: Goals 19, Assists: 24, PIM: 68, SOG: 234, Hits: 154, BS: 32

**Note Evander was injured for some of the 2011-12 season.**

Both players are very strong young power forwards, 6'2 and can skate really well. They both have an excellent release on their shot, however Ryan has better hands in my opinion. Also as what was said previously Ryan seems to have a better head on his shoulders and not rocks for brains. Although Kane is still young and has time to mature. In real life hockey I strongly believe Bobby Ryan has the better all around skill set, However Kane has really surprised me with the consistency and the larger numbers he puts up in my H2H fantasy league. However the concussion he had last season still scares me. This is decision is a tough one, doesnt surprise me the poll has been so close in numbers.

Thanks again for the feedback guys!

Just thought I'd bump this and see if any opinions have changed about halfway through the shortened season. Ryan is frustrating to own especially considering his lack of PIM. Starting to debate offering him for E. Kane straight up but wanted some feedback first.
    13 Team Yahoo Daily Points Keeper - 6 Keepers + 1 Rookie Keeper
    G | A | +/- | PIM | PPP | SHP | GWG | SOG
    Wins | Saves | SHO
    2 C | 2 LW | 2 RW | 3 D | 1 Util | 1 G

C - Crosby, Seguin (RW), Forsberg (RW)
    LW - Duchene (C), O'Reilly (C), Boedker
    RW - Hornqvist, Toffoli, Yakupov
    D - Karlsson, Niskanen, Vatanen, Faulk
    G - Anderson, Mason, Stalock

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    Ryan...less injury prone
    This. Noticed it the other day when I was looking at E. Kane's stats and the most games he's played in his 3 full seasons in the league before this one was 74. His other two were 73 and 66. He's had lower body injuries, the mysterious "upper body injuries" and also had a concussion last year that sidelined him for a bit. I love Kane's scoring upside but I'm worried he will end up missing a chunk of games every year due to "maintenance" injuries while Ryan has only missed 1 NHL game in his past 3 seasons. Take the consistency of Ryan here, if only because he'll tend to stay more healthy.
    Last edited by pbhockey4; March 4, 2013 at 1:00 AM. Reason: added in Ryan's name to quote
    Yahoo 12 team Keep 7 League (keepers in bold)
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 10F, 4D, 1 Util, 2G, 4 Bench
    F: Malkin , Neal, Parise, Benn, MacKinnon, Pavelski, van Riemsdyk, Tarasenko, Yakupov, Hanzal, Scheifele, Palat, Zuccarello,
    D: Giordano, Seabrook, Gudas, Gologoski, Ehrhoff, Bieksa (IR)
    G: Rask, Lehtonen, Mason