Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Decorum in de Forums

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thumbs down Lack of Decorum in de Forums

Many of you have probably noticed the recent spat (160+ posts!) in the [re-signing] Lupul thread over the last two days. TWO DAYS! While everyone loves a good argument, there are certain types of behaviour I think don’t belong on a respectable forum like this one.

Disagreeing with someone is fine, even expected here, but to call someone a/an “idiot”, “whiny little bitch”, “****ing imbecile”, “dickhead”, “dumbass” or “dumb mother****er” because they don’t get what you are saying is completely unnecessary. Spouting “grow the **** up” or “stuff it up your ass” is probably not the most effective way to get your point across. Even if the person is having a hard time understanding your point of view, it does not give you carte blanche to call them all sorts of names like some sort of inarticulate teenaged troll with Tourrete’s on steroids (likely where the rage comes from).

How hard is it to get your point across without resorting to name calling? Seriously, would you talk to your mother that way? Does calling someone those names make you feel better? It would be a shame for these fine forums to devolve into name calling flame fests. Don’t be a troll.

Personally, I find being called an idiot, etc, for my opinion only makes me not want to come here to post my thoughts. Why would I, knowing that some troll is waiting to tear my words apart and call me all sorts of names if they disagree? It’s just not worth the time or effort. I also find it disheartening to see other people treated like that. It comes across to me as a form of bullying. Oh you don’t agree with me? Well **** you, you’re wrong you ******ed mother****er. Great counterpoint, did you learn that on your University debating team!?

Your post count or your educational background does not entitle you to belittle anyone. You have no idea with whom you are speaking, so why in the world would you call them all sorts of names and curse at them. Oh right, it’s anonymous and any two-bit jackass can act like they are King Shit without repercussions. Something must be lacking in your petty little lives if you must resort to this type of behaviour.

Grow up and treat people with respect and you might actually get some. It would be sad to see this type of conduct become more acceptable or prevalent. The Dobberhockey community will only lose good people because no one wants to be treated like that… well, maybe my ex, but that’s a story for another time.

Peace. Respect…and please think of the children.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Many of you have probably noticed the recent spat (160+ posts!) in the [re-signing] Lupul thread over the last two days. TWO DAYS! While everyone loves a good argument, there are certain types of behaviour I think don’t belong on a respectable forum like this one.

Disagreeing with someone is fine, even expected here, but to call someone a/an “idiot”, “whiny little bitch”, “****ing imbecile”, “dickhead”, “dumbass” or “dumb mother****er” because they don’t get what you are saying is completely unnecessary. Spouting “grow the **** up” or “stuff it up your ass” is probably not the most effective way to get your point across. Even if the person is having a hard time understanding your point of view, it does not give you carte blanche to call them all sorts of names like some sort of inarticulate teenaged troll with Tourrete’s on steroids (likely where the rage comes from).

How hard is it to get your point across without resorting to name calling? Seriously, would you talk to your mother that way? Does calling someone those names make you feel better? It would be a shame for these fine forums to devolve into name calling flame fests. Don’t be a troll.

Personally, I find being called an idiot, etc, for my opinion only makes me not want to come here to post my thoughts. Why would I, knowing that some troll is waiting to tear my words apart and call me all sorts of names if they disagree? It’s just not worth the time or effort. I also find it disheartening to see other people treated like that. It comes across to me as a form of bullying. Oh you don’t agree with me? Well **** you, you’re wrong you ******ed mother****er. Great counterpoint, did you learn that on your University debating team!?

Your post count or your educational background does not entitle you to belittle anyone. You have no idea with whom you are speaking, so why in the world would you call them all sorts of names and curse at them. Oh right, it’s anonymous and any two-bit jackass can act like they are King Shit without repercussions. Something must be lacking in your petty little lives if you must resort to this type of behaviour.

Grow up and treat people with respect and you might actually get some. It would be sad to see this type of conduct become more acceptable or prevalent. The Dobberhockey community will only lose good people because no one wants to be treated like that… well, maybe my ex, but that’s a story for another time.

Peace. Respect…and please think of the children.
    Agreed. Its seems a number of people have been a little testy around here of late. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and expressing it civily is much more informative and convincing than having to try and decipher which swear word the ******'s represent. We should all be happy now that their is NHL hockey to watch .

Koombyah or however the **** you spell it.

Dobber Sports Pro

Your avatar is very accurate, you really are a team player

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Very well said!
    12 team keeper league. 8 keepers/team.
    Skater Pts: goal = 2, assist =1, +/-, PIM = .5
    Goalie Pts: win = 5, SO = 3, Sv = .1, GA = -.9

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:
    R. Miller, J. Quick J. Hiller, C. Nilstorp

Dobber Sports Pro

Not trying to make excuses, yesterday was blue Monday. I, for one, was actually feeling rather blue.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Expert

While I didn't participate/read in the Lupul thread, I feel you on this one. This site is the best in fantasy hockey business and people have always been very polite to me (except one time when the Habs hired a non-french speaking coach and some troll from Toronto felt like being xenophobic to me). I think that the way we all seem to enjoy each other's presence makes Dobberhockey special and it needs to stay that way!
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    like some sort of inarticulate teenaged troll with Tourrete’s on steroids
    This sounds like something that Joey Potter would say on Dawson's Creek.
    Love! Thumbs up.

ps. I haven't been to the Lupul thread... so, you are saying it has been... uh... entertaining?!

Dobber Sports Ninja

You're my hero.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    This sounds like something that Joey Potter would say on Dawson's Creek.
    Love! Thumbs up.

ps. I haven't been to the Lupul thread... so, you are saying it has been... uh... entertaining?!
    If you are going to go over there Pengwin, makes some popcorn first or something.

Administrator

It's a combination of brash arrogant people and people who are insecure and take the bait. I never understood why people care so much about what others on the internet think.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    It's a combination of brash arrogant people and people who are insecure and take the bait. I never understood why people care so much about what others on the internet think.
    Reminds of that hilarious but politically incorrect meme.

Pretty sure 4T2 knows which one I'm talking about because I think he posted it here once haha.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Deity

I havent been on the Lupul thread myself as of yet so I am not sure who has said what to who. This should be interesting.

Oh, and well said Comish. I dont always agree with everyone on here, and I am sure there are plenty of times people dont agree with my opinion. That being said, I save the name calling for the people in know IRL. They know how to take me and when I am being serious or sarcastic.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Reminds of that hilarious but politically incorrect meme.

Pretty sure 4T2 knows which one I'm talking about because I think he posted it here once haha.
    That sounds like something I'd do haha.

I'll go with something potentially less offensive this time:

Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Great One

I agree with whats being echoed here.

And, thats a great pic.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Agreed. Although I do enjoy a verbal sparring once in a while, I never got the self righteous rage some exhibit. Especially over an effing athlete (or team)...
    @SmittysRant