Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some thoughts on my draft?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagrrr View Post
    One change I would like to add is, I picked up Brian Elliott and dropped Bishop at the end of regular season.
    That's the game changer right there. I pulled the same move (dropped Rinne for Elliott) and he single-handedly won all of my goalie cats throughout the play-offs.

Nevertheless I've always found it's kind of classless to resurrect old threads to gloat (especially when you were the one asking for help in the first place). A lot of advice is dispensed on this forum and hundreds of predictions are made everyday... if we all went back to gloat or rub it in someone's face whenever we were right/wrong, this place would be very unproductive.
    Last edited by blayze; May 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    That's the game changer right there. I pulled the same move (dropped Rinne for Elliott) and he single-handedly won all of my goalie cats throughout the play-offs.
    Game changer for the play-offs maybe but he dropped Bishop and the end of the regular season, meaning he won the league WITH him in net.

I just don't see how he could have finished first with that line-up.

Oh wait a minute, he said it was a H2H league. I guess that means he only had to beat one other person
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Newbie

Edited the teams out for privacy reasons but I'm the one with the name "Je"
    Last edited by MovesLikeJagrrr; May 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It would be more meaningful to post the head-to-head stats and totals. I want to know how you won with your lineup too :-)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Congratulations on the win but reviving this thread in the way you did is pretty bad form. You make your first 4 posts get told you have a bad team, get discouraged and take-off (which is understandable rejection is hard). Then you win (despite the goalie comments being dead accurate) and come back to gloat? Bad form.

You posted your roster and asked for help, Pengwin called it like it was focusing on your weak goalies and saying you’d need a big output from your forwards to win. Your goalies had a below average years (as proved in Pengwin’s analysis) but several of your forwards had big years (St. Louis, Getzlaf, Neal, Franson’s a huge pickup) carrying you to the regular season. Then you swap in Elliot for the playoffs and he goes on an absolute tear and helps you win the playoffs (I’d bet your tie in the semis was largely due to Elliot).

Reviewing the whole thread I don’t think you proved anyone wrong. So I’ll say congrats on the win: nice work drafting solid forwards, making a few key pickups and grabbing hot goalies at key times. I’ll also encourage you to stick around for next season and soak in the knowledge of the Boards and contribute your own input. If you’re lucky enough to win again and must revive a thread go with something like “Luckily my forwards had a big year and I made a couple key moves” that will go over much better.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Congratulations on the win but reviving this thread in the way you did is pretty bad form. You make your first 4 posts get told you have a bad team, get discouraged and take-off (which is understandable rejection is hard). Then you win (despite the goalie comments being dead accurate) and come back to gloat? Bad form.

You posted your roster and asked for help, Pengwin called it like it was focusing on your weak goalies and saying you’d need a big output from your forwards to win. Your goalies had a below average years (as proved in Pengwin’s analysis) but several of your forwards had big years (St. Louis, Getzlaf, Neal, Franson’s a huge pickup) carrying you to the regular season. Then you swap in Elliot for the playoffs and he goes on an absolute tear and helps you win the playoffs (I’d bet your tie in the semis was largely due to Elliot).

Reviewing the whole thread I don’t think you proved anyone wrong. So I’ll say congrats on the win: nice work drafting solid forwards, making a few key pickups and grabbing hot goalies at key times. I’ll also encourage you to stick around for next season and soak in the knowledge of the Boards and contribute your own input. If you’re lucky enough to win again and must revive a thread go with something like “Luckily my forwards had a big year and I made a couple key moves” that will go over much better.
    I'll definitely stay for next season, it seems like a very nice forum but I think you guys misunderstood. I didn't mean any harm reviving this thread, it's just to let everyone know I won my league but people got defensive which is fine, I don't mind. I expected a different response though, especially from Penguin since I expected a "damn you actually won, good job man! How did you pull it off?"

As per suggestions:

Dobber Sports Newbie

Damn that Leafs game!

RIP Leafs

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagrrr View Post
    I'll definitely stay for next season, it seems like a very nice forum but I think you guys misunderstood. I didn't mean any harm reviving this thread, it's just to let everyone know I won my league but people got defensive which is fine, I don't mind. I expected a different response though, especially from Penguin since I expected a "damn you actually won, good job man! How did you pull it off?"
    If you expected a different kind of response maybe you shouldn't have said "I guess I proved you wrong."

Congratulations on the win but remember that you didn't win with the team that Pengwin originally said was bad.

You made some shrewd moves and changed your roster enough to win your league.

If you were expecting a "damn you actually won, good job man!" then maybe resurrect your thread with the following ... "thanks for the advice fellas, I changed my roster based on your feedback and I actually won the league..."

And for the record, if you hadn't changed your roster AT ALL and then won, and then posted your "in your face" post, we all would have marveled at your excellence
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Padawan

Lol he didn't make any "shrewd moves", he fluked out with Elliot standing on his head at the right time of year........coming back to arrogantly throw that in peoples face is a bit of joke.

Guess what, the analysis he was provided with was very good and very accurate and can never account for outliers such as Elliot's performance over the last few weeks of the season.

I congratulate you on catching lightning in a bottle but it in no way gives you the right to flaunt it as if you were right all along, you got lucky and it says nothing about your ability or knowledge.......

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well - we should really let this thread die.
    A few wrap-up points.

1. Congratulations on finishing 1st and winning the league! Anybody that wins their league should get a congrats... I should've issued one.

2. I see your standings - no fluke. You won a tight league and tight playoffs... I guess if you were going to finish 1sts, you needed a tight league! You did it.

3. 20 transactions... 3rd most in the league. I'd say you are a sharp strategist. That's something that can be extracted from a draft alone.

4. You finished 9-3-0 in blocks. That was a category I identified to you as a big weakness that needed correcting. I'm guessing some of your 20 transactions took care of attending to that category - or - it's also possible that your leaguemmates don't invest in blocks... which is also something that can't be extracted from one team's draft.

5. Overall - nice work this season. I still don't think your goalies & defensemen were well drafted... but that was ONE DAMN FINE FORWARD DRAFT and I've always preached that forwards are the most important/reliable part of a fantasy hockey team. I could've focused on that more in my analysis - and did not.

Good job!
    Last edited by Pengwin7; May 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM.