Thread: Sid's value in Multi-Cat leagues..?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Sid's value in Multi-Cat leagues..?

Drafted tonight...What is Sidney Crosby's value in a multi-cat league? My team is fine on hits, etc but I need a scorer up top for my team.

The burning question: Do I trade for him?

Do I offer a defensemen (one who hits) and a forward for Sidney Crosby?
    - If it helps, this guy is new and did not draft well for our format.

New Team:

G- Ward, Kip, Anderson
    D- Weber, Seabrook, Gorges, Stuart
    F- Callahan, Backes, Boyle, M. Martin, E. Kane, Clutterbuck, Ott, Niel, N. Foligno, Doan

The Wolverine

To answer your title question: you tell us.

As I suggested in your previous thread, it's helpful to provide examples of how players are valued in your scoring setup, including Crosby, so we don't have to do the calculations ourselves. It makes it clear up front to us, otherwise you may not get the best advice.

That being said, since the guy is new and isn't as aware of value in your setup, I'd be careful about trying to acquire his 'best' player. He probably thinks that way, and would guess that no matter how valuable other multiple category contributors are, he perceives Crosby as the highest. But I don't know his real value.

Perceived and real value could be drastically different.

Dobber Sports Stud

Crosby average 6.0 ppg last year in a shortened season for him. That is up there. For example, Ryan Callahan averaged 7.8 ppg.

Crosby doesn't really hit, but he scores in bunches. The nights he scores, he scores a lot.

He'd be a scoring threat on my team. What if I traded my third goalie (Anderson) and a hits defenseman for Crosby+? His team has Quick and Luongo (ugh) and nobody who really hits.

Dobber Sports Genius

Should his multi cat ability really matter when he has scored at a rate of 1.42 points per game over the past four seasons? If you can get Crosby and fill in your empty spots with the next best FA you're bound to come out miles ahead.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Stud

Crosby puts on the points, nobody else can match his point production. Points are the hardest stat to come by, unless your league weighs things in a stupid manner, Crosby is still Crosby multi-cat league or points only.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by CarbombCarcillo View Post
    Crosby average 6.0 ppg last year in a shortened season for him. That is up there. For example, Ryan Callahan averaged 7.8 ppg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    Crosby puts on the points, nobody else can match his point production. Points are the hardest stat to come by, unless your league weighs things in a stupid manner, Crosby is still Crosby multi-cat league or points only.
    See the quote above - not just an offensive league.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by CarbombCarcillo View Post

Crosby doesn't really hit, but he scores in bunches. The nights he scores, he scores a lot.
    Thanks - this is what we need to help you. Who would have expected those numbers unless we were given them or did the calculations?

He'd be a scoring threat on my team. What if I traded my third goalie (Anderson) and a hits defenseman for Crosby+? His team has Quick and Luongo (ugh) and nobody who really hits.
    Again, you're asking us to decide whether the other manager would go for it. As I said in my previous thread, considering his lack of knowledge he'll likely perceive Crosby as the best player, regardless of format. I assume he drafted him in the first round? If so, I think you'll get rejected regardless of what you offer. But go for it - I don't see any reason why you wouldn't. You have the numbers - a backup goalie and a D for Crosby, still a highly productive player in your format. That seems straight forward from your point of view.

However, my point of perceived value still stands. You're asking us what you should do, but in this situation a better question is whether you think the other manager would go for it - and not from your perspective of evaluating his team, rather from his perspective of evaluating his own team. That's crucial.
    Last edited by horrorfan; January 18, 2013 at 3:29 AM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

ok i dont get it is this a points league or a categories league

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think I understand what you're asking, but I could be way off, so here it goes.

With your league settings something like Callahan (7.8 ppg) and Anderson (X ppg) for Crosby (6 ppg) would be a win for the side getting Callahan and Anderson.

However, you said the guys new to the league, so he should take some time to catch onto the leagues scoring system. Therefore, while this trade would improve his team, I doubt he'd take it now. If you play in a standard categories league, this trade would most likely be vetoed if accepted.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
    Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals. - Bender