Thread: Where to sit or post

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Where to sit or post

I was going to post in lounge, but then notice "no hockey talk".

Given the choice where would you go to watch an NHL hockey game if you lived in SW Ontario? (Specified NHL so you don't say the local rink for minor hockey, although good times there too)

Toronto, Detroit or Buffalo
    Team 1:
    10 Team Keeper, keep 16.
    Cat: +/-, PIMs, G, A, Pts, STG (PPG+SHG), GAA, SPct, W
    Roto, No Max games, weekly lineups - 12F, 6D, 4G - 6 bench

F: Benn, Bennett, Crosby, Hughes, Keller, Kopitar, Lindolm, Perron, Schmalts, Stephenson, Tavares, Thompson
    Bench - Lafreniere, Roslovic, Schenn

D: Chabot, Dahlin, Josi, Hronek, Morrissey, Schenn
    Bench - Sandin

G: F. Copley, Gustavsson, Skinner, Sorokin
    Bench: Merzlikins, Petersen, Andersen (IR)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Mater View Post
    I was going to post in lounge, but then notice "no hockey talk".

Given the choice where would you go to watch an NHL hockey game if you lived in SW Ontario? (Specified NHL so you don't say the local rink for minor hockey, although good times there too)

Toronto, Detroit or Buffalo
    Lets see.

Entertainment Ranking

Toronto
    -
    Buffalo
    Detroit

Easily Toronto. And I'm not just saying that because I live a block away from the ACC.

I've been to the Joe many times (grew up in Windsor), and been to Buffalo a few times including the WJC a few years back.

The Joe has NOTHING around the arena within walking distance. Buffalo, quite the same but a little better.

The ACC is in such a prime location, that you don't have to walk more than a few blocks from the rink to get a few pops after the game and mingle with the girls looking for a good time.

Hockey Quality Ranking

Detroit
    -
    Buffalo
    Toronto

Class organization. Always a treat to watch Datsyuk play too. If you want to watch actual hockey, and don't care about anything else, then go to Detroit.

Arena Ranking

HSBC
    ACC
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Joe Lewis

I love the HSBC. I feel like it's built strictly for hockey.

The ACC is ok. The majority of duel arena's are just ok.

Jew Lewis is probably the worst arena is hockey, and maybe all pro North American sports.

Fan Atmosphere

This really depends on a few factors.

Opposition, which day of the week, and where your seats are.

However, generally speaking:

Buffalo
    Detroit
    Toronto

EDIT: Another very cool arena to check out would be Columbus. Shit team, but like Toronto, the Nationwide Arena is surrounded by the 'Arena District'. It's like a little village with pubs, bars, hotels, etc. and you will probably catch a few players after the game if their schedule is friendly (which probably wouldn't be this year)
    Last edited by Mr. Guru; January 17, 2013 at 1:51 AM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

All around, I usually prefer to go to Buffalo for games. (not that I will be this season..still too much pent up annoyance to hand over any $$ )

- Far more affordable than the ACC for tickets

-Plenty of great spots to enjoy some of Buffalo's unique cuisine. Ask someone on the street where to get a 'garbage plate'.

- There are a number of good pubs in walking distance for your ale needs after the game, and even more within a $10 taxi range. Always enjoy catching one of the later games televised in one of these watering holes.

- If you have a DD, its an easy drive back to SW Ontario at the end of the night..or optionally a hotel won't cost you an arm and a leg like in TO.

Some Sabres fans can probably give you the best advice on whats in the surrounding area of HSBC if you want something specific.
    (Odds are they'll just tell you to go to Swannie's though, great place - expect some good-natured heckling if wearing an out-of-town jersey )

Detroit to me is just a little less enticing, unless you're looking for a super-cheap night, and want to take in the history of the Joe, and of course see the Wings on home ice.

Nothing particularly against the Leafs and ACC, but when the buddies and I can have just as good a time in Buffalo for half the expense...well, go figure.

Have fun. ( and don't give those bastards one nickel more than you have to, heh! )

Last edited by Shenanigans; January 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've been to all 3 but if you have a weekend make a trip to Nashville. Not the greatest arena but a great atmosphere. Also has a great intermission show if thats your thing and was voted by THN as the best in the league. Got tickets for half price from scalpers both times I have been. Also the arena is right downtown close to some great restaurants before the game and one of the best entertainment districts I have ever been to (behind only Austin, TX and New Orleans for me) which is literally across the street from Bridgestone arena. Surprisingly its a great rock scene and not just country but some bars like Tootsies (I believe Nashville's oldest bar and one of the closest to the arena) offer both at different ends of the bar. Very safe and affordable as well.

If I were to pick amongst the other 3 I would choose Buffalo for the fan atmosphere. I will never go to a Leafs game again due to two things; 1)Price and 2)I have been to more lively funerals. Only gets loud when the scoreboard tells people to get loud when coming back from a TV commercial break. Poor entertainment value for me buck.