Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: advice - draft on friday

  1. #1
    praba's Avatar
    praba is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,645
    Location
    toronto and ottaw
    Rep Power
    33

    Dobber Sports Guru

    Default advice - draft on friday

    hey guys, i'm in a one year, need your advice on how my first few picks should go.

    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, Util, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR

    Goals (G), Assists (A), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT), Blocks (BLK)

    Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Saves (SV), Save Percentage (SV%)


    i have 6th overall, do i go goalie (lundy/quick), forward, goalie? or forward, goalie, forward? who do you suggest i take?

    rep of course will be handed out
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: praba911

  2. #2
    islefan31's Avatar
    islefan31 is online now
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,591
    Location
    NY
    Rep Power
    14

    Dobber Sports Stud

    Default

    How many teams and is it a snake draft? I would say if you can't get Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos or Giroux, then I would take one of the tenders. If its a snake draft definitely grab a stud goalie and the best forward on the way back up. Just my 2 cents. If you can get one of the 4 forwards hope Rinne is there on the way back.
    10 team H2H (4 keepers)
    Positions - 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 1F, 3D, 2G (daily)
    G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG
    Wins, Saves, S%, GAA

    C-Crosby, Giroux(C/R), Bonino

    L-Pacioretti, Landeskog, Maroon
    R-Ovechkin, Backes(C/R), Simmonds, Hemsky
    D-Karlsson, Yandle, Byfuglien(D/R), Martinez
    G-Bishop,
    Lehtonen, Halak, Hackett
    IR

  3. #3
    Rep Power
    0

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default

    6 is a tough spot to be this year IMO. The top 4 forwards are at such a higher level than the next tier (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Giroux). I'd say at 6 if you're able to get Lundqvist go for it because you can get a similar level forward in the second round to that which you'll get after the first 4 are gone. That being said, if one of those top 4 forwards are there i'd grab em in a heart beat.
    12 team H2H G, A, PPP, SHP, PIM, +-, W, S%, GAA, SHO

    C: Kopitar
    C: Stepan
    LW: Hall
    LW: Ryan
    RW: Kessel
    RW: Voracek
    UTIL: Erickson
    UTIL: Pavelski
    D: Burns
    D: Suter
    D: Yandle
    D: Green
    B: Skinner
    B: Heatley
    B: Lecavalier

    G: Rask
    G: Holtby
    G: Schneider

  4. #4
    metaldude26's Avatar
    metaldude26 is online now
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,556
    Location
    Dryden, Ontario.
    Rep Power
    25

    Administrator

    Default

    I would no doubt secure a top flight goalie unless you are talking about Ovechkin or Crosby slipping to you (or Malkin or Stamkos but we both know that's not happening). You gotta grab one of Lundqvist, Quick or Rinne, goalie stats are nearly 40% of this league and there's huge value in owning a workhorse with that saves stat.
    Tweet me your fantasy hockey inquiries @SteveLaidlaw

  5. #5
    horrorfan's Avatar
    horrorfan is online now
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,205
    Location
    Scotland
    Rep Power
    51

    Dobber Sports Wizard

    Default

    H2H or Roto?

    In a H2H league, even 40% of categories but with saves you can get a quality goalie later in the draft, workhorses like Kiprusoff, Anderson, Hiller etc. As it's not about season totals, you just need to be competitive on a weekly basis, and every top goalie has off weeks. Even though he's not big in hits, I'd target Tavares at six if he's available. First round I want a stud offensive player.

    In a Roto league, it's more crucial. I'd definitely go for Lundqvist if he's available, and possibly even Quick if not.
    Last edited by horrorfan; January 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM.
    Yahoo Baseball, One-year, 20 teams, Rotisserie (click below to show settings)
     
    Midsummer Classic:
    C,1B,2B,3B,SS,3OF,Util/2SP,2RP,3P,5BN,2DL,1NA * R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS/W,SV,HLD,K,ERA,WHIP * Max games/innings=162/1250

    Baseball is Life:
    C,1B,2B,3B,SS,IF,3OF,2Util/4SP,3RP,2P,4BN,3DL * R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS/W,SV,HLD,K,ERA,WHIP * Max games/innings=162/1475

  6. #6
    Pengwin7's Avatar
    Pengwin7 is online now
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,194
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Rep Power
    25

    Moderator

    Default

    Jeez, praba.
    Hasn't there been enough of these threads to know what to do?

    I'll say this, in the Dobber Entry Leagues (which count HITS & PIM) the top 8 in all four drafts were the exact same guys:
    5F: Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin/Giroux
    3G: Lundy/Quick/Rinne


    Also... make note in this pool that there is no +/-.
    Don't be afraid to take those CBJ defensemen, Wiz & JJ, in the mid-rounds.
    Both could be super-solid in this format.

  7. #7
    praba's Avatar
    praba is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,645
    Location
    toronto and ottaw
    Rep Power
    33

    Dobber Sports Guru

    Default

    damn should have mentioned - 12 team league snake H2H
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: praba911

  8. #8
    arctic_rogue's Avatar
    arctic_rogue is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,813
    Rep Power
    19

    Dobber Sports Stud

    Default

    Don't worry about your 2nd and 3rd pick.

    Here's my top 6 for that format (in no order): Crosby, OV, Stamkos, Malkin, Quick, Lundqvist. Whichever one is left, take that one.

    I always do up tiers for drafts (usually based on fantasyhockeygeek standings and tweaked) and for every pick after the first (the first is usually planned like above), I grab a player at a position where there looks to be the most significant drop before it gets back to me. If that's D, LW, etc, or whatever, it doesn't matter. You are just trying to fill each position with the best player relative to what's left (or what you anticipate will be left).
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

  9. #9
    praba's Avatar
    praba is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,645
    Location
    toronto and ottaw
    Rep Power
    33

    Dobber Sports Guru

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Jeez, praba.
    Hasn't there been enough of these threads to know what to do?

    I'll say this, in the Dobber Entry Leagues (which count HITS & PIM) the top 8 in all four drafts were the exact same guys:
    5F: Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin/Giroux
    3G: Lundy/Quick/Rinne


    Also... make note in this pool that there is no +/-.
    Don't be afraid to take those CBJ defensemen, Wiz & JJ, in the mid-rounds.
    Both could be super-solid in this format.
    haha sorry, i figured as much about the top players and goalies being drafted, but i rarely ask for help so i thought it would be okay.

    i didnt even notice there was no +/- LOL
    but with only 3 defense slots, do you think i should make sure i get a stud like weber/letang/byfuglien, or should i wait till the end since there will be many dmen like JJ around to draft?

    also...i will be able to get one of ovy/giroux/lundy/quick. since it's h2h, who do i pick? 4/11 stats are goalie cats...
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: praba911

  10. #10
    praba's Avatar
    praba is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,645
    Location
    toronto and ottaw
    Rep Power
    33

    Dobber Sports Guru

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    Don't worry about your 2nd and 3rd pick.

    Here's my top 6 for that format (in no order): Crosby, OV, Stamkos, Malkin, Quick, Lundqvist. Whichever one is left, take that one.

    I always do up tiers for drafts (usually based on fantasyhockeygeek standings and tweaked) and for every pick after the first (the first is usually planned like above), I grab a player at a position where there looks to be the most significant drop before it gets back to me. If that's D, LW, etc, or whatever, it doesn't matter. You are just trying to fill each position with the best player relative to what's left (or what you anticipate will be left).
    okay so assuming i get one of OV/Quick/Lundy, my biggest question is what position do i draft in round 2 and 3? should i lock up my goaltending in one of the rounds, or wait till later to try and grab a workhorse like kipper/backstrom? when should i draft a D since there are only 3 slots?
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: praba911

  11. #11
    horrorfan's Avatar
    horrorfan is online now
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,205
    Location
    Scotland
    Rep Power
    51

    Dobber Sports Wizard

    Default

    The top four should be (in no particular order): Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos and Ovechkin (because of hits). But Giroux might sneak in there. I know Lundqvist is tempting, but I still feel you don't need an elite goalie early. It's H2H, so it's all about weekly production and most goalies can have great weeks, but could also have poor ones. Also with saves, you now have two counting stats, which devalues the top goalies since you can get a 'lesser' goalie who's a workhorse and still have a great shot at winning at least two categories a week. If the top five go as above, I would still choose Tavares because I could see him joining the elite this season offensively. But of course the choice is yours.
    Yahoo Baseball, One-year, 20 teams, Rotisserie (click below to show settings)
     
    Midsummer Classic:
    C,1B,2B,3B,SS,3OF,Util/2SP,2RP,3P,5BN,2DL,1NA * R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS/W,SV,HLD,K,ERA,WHIP * Max games/innings=162/1250

    Baseball is Life:
    C,1B,2B,3B,SS,IF,3OF,2Util/4SP,3RP,2P,4BN,3DL * R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS/W,SV,HLD,K,ERA,WHIP * Max games/innings=162/1475

  12. #12
    arctic_rogue's Avatar
    arctic_rogue is offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,813
    Rep Power
    19

    Dobber Sports Stud

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    okay so assuming i get one of OV/Quick/Lundy, my biggest question is what position do i draft in round 2 and 3? should i lock up my goaltending in one of the rounds, or wait till later to try and grab a workhorse like kipper/backstrom? when should i draft a D since there are only 3 slots?
    In my experience, there's really no way to know now.

    I would likely leave D till the end. Load up your other positions and towards the end of the draft get 3 D that are heavy in BKS, HITS, and PIMs. That should help you in those categories.

    With regards to the other positions... say it comes to your 2nd pick. And you have tiers done up... 5 Centers are left before a drop to the remaining, 2 LW are left before a drop to the remaining, 6 RW are left before a drop to the remaining, and 4 G are left before a drop to the remaining. I'd go with the LW. That's how I do each and every round.

    I keep a big picture view going of what I need to fill, but my drafting style is completely dynamic.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

  13. #13
    praba's Avatar
    praba is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,645
    Location
    toronto and ottaw
    Rep Power
    33

    Dobber Sports Guru

    Default

    repped everyone thanks
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: praba911

  14. #14
    horrorfan's Avatar
    horrorfan is online now
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,205
    Location
    Scotland
    Rep Power
    51

    Dobber Sports Wizard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    The top four should be (in no particular order): Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos and Ovechkin (because of hits). But Giroux might sneak in there. I know Lundqvist is tempting, but I still feel you don't need an elite goalie early. It's H2H, so it's all about weekly production and most goalies can have great weeks, but could also have poor ones. Also with saves, you now have two counting stats, which devalues the top goalies since you can get a 'lesser' goalie who's a workhorse and still have a great shot at winning at least two categories a week. If the top five go as above, I would still choose Tavares because I could see him joining the elite this season offensively. But of course the choice is yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    okay so assuming i get one of OV/Quick/Lundy, my biggest question is what position do i draft in round 2 and 3? should i lock up my goaltending in one of the rounds, or wait till later to try and grab a workhorse like kipper/backstrom? when should i draft a D since there are only 3 slots?
    I missed the part saying that those guys would be available. Give me Ovechkin - he might not get as much points as Giroux (arguable), but will kill him in G/SOG/Hits. No doubt if Ovechkin is there I grab him.

    I'd consider getting a goalie in the second, but you might still be able to get a Ward type guy in the third.
    Yahoo Baseball, One-year, 20 teams, Rotisserie (click below to show settings)
     
    Midsummer Classic:
    C,1B,2B,3B,SS,3OF,Util/2SP,2RP,3P,5BN,2DL,1NA * R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS/W,SV,HLD,K,ERA,WHIP * Max games/innings=162/1250

    Baseball is Life:
    C,1B,2B,3B,SS,IF,3OF,2Util/4SP,3RP,2P,4BN,3DL * R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS/W,SV,HLD,K,ERA,WHIP * Max games/innings=162/1475

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •