Thread: How bad is my team? (rep)

Dobber Sports Pro

Default How bad is my team? (rep)

League and team in sig.

I was in a pretty bad pre-draft position, as I traded away my 3rd round pick laste year (for 5th round) and was "lucky" enough to pick first, which means my 3rd pick was at the end of 4rd round, 48. It is a very limited keeper, basically just to keep the same managers around and we're at about the same level, so everybody knows the value of the right players and draft is mostly about different strategies.

I like offense first strategy in this kind of league (which Pengwin7 and some others explained so many times in different threats, thank you very much), wanted to wait with my goalies and take the best of D at the end, for blocks, hits, pims... And I used mostly dobber's and FHG's tools for my ranking.

It went actually better than I was afraid before the draft and I'm pretty happy with my offense, satisfied with the goalies (considering I took them very late), but I'm not sure about my defense. I have them mainly for blocks and hits, but still... Seabrook is at the right spot and I'd probably take him even if I could pick ANY 6 D's for this kind of league, but not sure about the others. So what do you guys say? Will I depend heavily on a good year from most of my guys, or even that won't help? How bad is it?

There aren't many useful FA's, are any of these an upgrade to my team?:

M.Foligno, B.Schenn, Malone, Berglund, Atkinson (could be an extra keeper as rookie) / Kulikov, Robidas, Ellis, Liles, Josi, Kaberle, Nikitin / Vokoun, Emery, Neuvirth.
    Last edited by tomastop; January 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM.
    12 teams, Yahoo H2H, daily, keep 5.

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 5BN, IR+
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Pettersson
    LW: M.Tkachuk (+RW), Zucker (+RW), Coleman (+RW), N.Foligno (+C)
    RW: Kucherov, Svechnikov (+LW), W.Nylander (+C), Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Hughes,Doughty, Ekblad, Hronek, McNabb, Cernak
    G: Lehner, Grubauer, Francouz
    IR+:

Dobber Sports Pro

UPDATE - Visnovsky on waivers (I'm not sure I'll be able to claim him, but could try).

W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

IR+:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Haha, how bad?
    I'd say your team will finish top 3.

Brilliant job of drafting FOW in your wing-slots.
    Lots of peripherals: PIM/Hits/Blk/PIM.

The only thing I'd suggest is that with sub-par goalies (which is fine), you want to make sure you are at least winning W/SA every week, so you might want to consider adding a 4th goalie.
    This goalie group will probably lose GAA/SV% about 60% of the time (again... this is fine) but you want to make sure you are at least winning two categories: Wins & SA.

I draft this exact type of team.
    In a 12/5 category league, you'll find you'll win most weeks by a 10-6-1 score (on average). That'll get you at least 3rd-5th place throughout the regular season.

Things like +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, GAA, SV%, SHO will fluctuate week-to-week.
    You'll win some, you'll lose some.

But drafting to take the high-quantity categories, like you have, will ensure you do well.
    There is no way you'll finish less than 6th regular season. (barring major injuries).

The key to this team is the playoffs... because knowing you have certain categories locked down will allow you to win your playoff match-ups by something like 8-7-2.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; January 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

Thank you, Pengwin, your comment is always appreciated! (some REP on the way).

So dropping let's say Orpik or Coburn for a more offensive D could actually hurt my team, because I'd risk losing blk, hits..., right?

I like the idea of a 4th goalie, could pick Vokoun or wait for some injury and get a good 2nd goalie, but I'm not sure who to drop. Hanzal maybe? He's really good for this format, but I could spare some FOW or Hits.

W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

IR+: